SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Newbie saying "Hello!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 03:30 PM
Suppatime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie saying "Hello!"

Hey everybody, my name is Drew and I'm a 22 year old filmmaker and security guard from Orlando, FL. I'm unfortunately still in college, UCF specifically if any central Florida guys here are in the area. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be joining you SC300 / Soarer converted guys.

I currently own this heavily-modified 1996 Honda Accord coupe which I run in local autocross events:

While I love my car (one of the fully loaded higher-end models from that year), I'm really starting to get tired of FWD and a lack of horsepower. My mods were to effectively create an Accord "A-SPEC" model, so between suspension, braking, engine and moreover transmission mods, I set out to keep my stock motor but do everything possible to make it peppier. At 160HP and a final drive gear of 4.27, it's about as peppy as it can be.

As such, I was looking around for something else two door and fun to drive and a Nissan 240 didn't quite do it, not even with an SR20DET. I found one with an RB25DET (think old Skyline GT-R) motor in it, which was better, but then the luxury element wasn't quite there.

Then I stumbled on the SC300. Luxury, two doors, bigger engine and RWD. I was mildly impressed, until I found out 1) they did in fact come in 5-speed, and 2) the 2JZGTE motor drops in with a little work. I'm no stranger to swaps... my Prelude transmission conversion took 14 weeks with all the little parts I needed to locate.

So here I am! Learning as much as I can before I buy. My roommate's girlfriend's ex-boyfriend's mom has a mint-condition white / tan leather 5-speed SC300 she's looking to sell, and I'm hoping to pick it up early next year. I'll start with the good stuff... suspension and braking, then move up from there.

My real question starts with all of you California SC300 owners. Any of you who have the Supra motor swap... how the F do you pass emissions? I'll be moving to LA in 2 years and need to figure that out before I even think about doing it.

I'll keep the car classy... if it's a 92-96, I'll be putting the 97-00 front bumper on, and maybe a simple spoiler. Considering an LED taillight conversion, and definately a HID kit. Anyone have any opinions on the OEM 2005 Lexus GS300 rims? I'm thinking about putting them on the car, but powder-coating them in bronze or a faded gold first.

Any questions, comments or whatever is welcomed. Nice meeting you all!
Old 12-16-05, 03:32 PM
Suppatime
Driver School Candidate

Aaaannnnnnd sorry that pic is so big.
Old 12-16-05, 03:37 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

welcome man. u will luv the sc once u get in an drive it. i dont know y it took me so long to get behind the wheel of one.

and about ur swap. its a lil more work then u light think. the 2jz is a monster once in the car. but there are other options. like NA-t, which means u just put a turbo kit on the stock 2JZGE motor. people have made CRAZY amounts of power with stock internals. or the more recent popular 1jz swap. the engine that came in the JDM soarers. MUCH easier swap then the 2jzgte.check out www.clubna-t.com, there u will find LOTS of info about na-t or swaps.
Old 12-16-05, 03:43 PM
Suppatime
Driver School Candidate

I know it will be a LOT of work. Hence why I'm not doing it anytime soon. Getting the car now, freshening up the suspension and a few other items, then holding out for the swap.

I know about the 1JZGTE motor and how it came in the Soarer. My only concern is emissions for the State of California. If I get an 96 or newer SC300, I'll need a 96 or newer motor...

I know about the NA->T conversion, but personally, they scare the crap out of me. My opinion is motors that were meant to suck air in really aren't happy being force-fed. At least, that's how the world of Honda has been for me. My roommate has a 2001 Integra GS-R that he's fully built the block on with a T03/04 hybrid turbo on and it ran like absolute poo... when it did at all. With internals, it's at 8:1 compression. It no longer runs at all. Quite sad.

Same issue with my friend's 2003 Acura TL Type-S. He bought a Comptech supercharger for that, and with stock internals, that 10.5:1 compression head didn't take too nicely to being force-fed.

That said, neither of these guys had stand-alones. That plays a large part, too. Still, it scares me, though. I think I'd rather have the "reliability" of a motor that came with turbos stock.
Old 12-16-05, 04:11 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

welcome to CL!

also, nice come up if you can come up on the white 5 speed... what year is it??

lastly, remember to use the "search" button... it will yield great results
Old 12-16-05, 04:41 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

like i said check out clubna-t.com. the 2JZGE isn biult like a honda engine. its more boost friendly compared to engines that are biult for high rev NA use. once u go from honda to toyota. THROW everything u know about engines out the door. dont be discouraged cuz the engine didnt come with turbo. the NA block is AS strong as the TT one. the pistons and rods are forged. just do a lil more research and u will see. u have to remember if u get 2jzgte and u want more power. u will switch from twins to single. y not cut out the middle step, swap, and just go single now. only thing i dont like about the 2jzge is that there is the UGLY intake manifold that goes over the valve cover. unlike the tt one that runs along the side.

o yeah about ur swap.... if u move to cali... u will have to find a place that will do an ILLEGAL smog check for u. but once ur hit with "TEST ONLY" smogs...ur screwed.
Old 12-16-05, 04:57 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kietlander is correct. There are a few shops around here (Texas) that have quite a bit of experience putting the Boostlogic NA-T kit on stock 2jzs and yielding 350+ HP at the wheels and keeping the car as reliable as stock.

You have Toyomoto that is in Miami and can do a GREAT job of boosting a stock SC into something monsterous..

You will love the SC experience, I'm on my second one. I had a 95 SC400 and now have a 97 SC300 (which I've owned for 4 years).

Great cars, very good MPG, and great potential.

Glad you joined the club, make yourself at home.
Old 12-16-05, 04:58 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
like i said check out clubna-t.com. the 2JZGE isn biult like a honda engine. its more boost friendly compared to engines that are biult for high rev NA use. once u go from honda to toyota. THROW everything u know about engines out the door. dont be discouraged cuz the engine didnt come with turbo. the NA block is AS strong as the TT one. the pistons and rods are forged. just do a lil more research and u will see. u have to remember if u get 2jzgte and u want more power. u will switch from twins to single. y not cut out the middle step, swap, and just go single now. only thing i dont like about the 2jzge is that there is the UGLY intake manifold that goes over the valve cover. unlike the tt one that runs along the side.

o yeah about ur swap.... if u move to cali... u will have to find a place that will do an ILLEGAL smog check for u. but once ur hit with "TEST ONLY" smogs...ur screwed.

what ^^ he said

welcome

you are starting off on a right foot man, he who searches - finds
and like he said - dont be afraid, ge motor is just as good as gte
and find yourself an sc to test drive or if you are in orlando, come out to the saturday meets, take a ride in one of the blown SC's
Old 12-16-05, 05:22 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

welcome
Old 12-16-05, 06:07 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Welcome To The club!!! you'll enjoy this club everyone shows a lot of repsect to each other!! awsome Forum!! can't wait to see pics of the sc!
Old 12-16-05, 09:34 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome... if your looking for the local SCs, you dont have to go far... there are about 15-20 of us here in orlando.... although not everyone comes out. a few of us are downtown on orange and collonial every saturday night. normally arround 11pm or so. stop in and introduce yourself... just make sure there is more than one SC there, and you will know its us.
Old 12-16-05, 09:37 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Welcome welcome. Hey I still have a honda also BUT my sc is the real real baby
Old 12-16-05, 09:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Welcome
Old 12-17-05, 01:18 AM
Suppatime
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Great cars, very good MPG, and great potential.
What are you guys getting, MPG wise? I hear they're 17 gallon tanks.

I want to hear from everyone on this... SC300 auto vs. manual, SC400 auto and SC300 swapped or turboed.

I'm getting about 20-26 MPG now with my ****ty 2.2L SOHC VTEC motor now with compression of 8.8:1... for how little power I'm making, that gas mileage sucks.

If anyone in the turbo club is getting 17-25 MPG, I'll be VERY happy...
Old 12-17-05, 01:22 AM
Suppatime
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
welcome... if your looking for the local SCs, you dont have to go far... there are about 15-20 of us here in orlando.... although not everyone comes out. a few of us are downtown on orange and collonial every saturday night. normally arround 11pm or so. stop in and introduce yourself... just make sure there is more than one SC there, and you will know its us.
Holy hell! Awesome! I'll try to make it out sometime after the first of the new year (who knows, I might actually have my own by then...)

I have to try to get the night off... I work security at Club Paris downtown, so you guys might see me there. Out of the three white guys who work security, I'm the one that looks most like an a-hole.

Any of you guys go to UCF? Anyone care to meet up near Waterford Lakes on Alafaya? I can't believe there's so many of you guys locally. No wonder I can't find a used one around (aside from this white 5-speed)... everyone's an enthusiast!

Quick Reply: Newbie saying "Hello!"