Print Wikipost

SC 400 Safety

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 09:42 AM
Will400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 400 Safety

Anyone know how our vehicles rated in crash tests or any other links or info I can look at?
Old 11-18-05, 10:28 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you had searched, this would have popped up:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117268

Old 11-18-05, 12:56 PM
Will400
Driver

Default thanks

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA

For the link on the safety search that is. I forgot to say I searched crashes and didn't see anything about safety RATINGS and the like.
Old 11-18-05, 01:01 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i tried to search in the past for that also. I never found NHTSA ratings for the sc3/4. Toyota must have compared it to a similar model
Old 11-18-05, 03:33 PM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

well a awhile back i found that the supra was a 5 star rating for front and rear collision and 4 star for sides but that was like 4 years ago and the sc's are alittle bigger so it has to be pretty close ours cars are tanks
Old 11-18-05, 04:41 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default If you want safety, buy a Volvo

As if it matters, anyway.

I've never heard of anyone buying a SC3/4 based on its safety rating.
Old 11-18-05, 05:32 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

thats a beautiful crash actually, look i think the drivers door still latches closed, the window frame looks untouched.. We should start calling our cars the A10 warthogs...
Old 11-18-05, 07:12 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

From the pics I've seen, these cars protect us well in an accident.

I thought that I read somewhere that the earlier models DID have side impact beams, and that Lexus placed the beams in a different position to meet 96 (or 97?) side impact standards. Anybody take their door apart and look on the pre 95 model?
Old 11-18-05, 09:16 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RPH74
From the pics I've seen, these cars protect us well in an accident.

I thought that I read somewhere that the earlier models DID have side impact beams, and that Lexus placed the beams in a different position to meet 96 (or 97?) side impact standards. Anybody take their door apart and look on the pre 95 model?
My 93 has them inside the doors. They are pretty fatty. When I was replacing the bulbs in my cluster I also noticed that there was another one running behind the dash. Also, we have those nice steel beams behind our front bumpers that keep the Hondas away. I've had 2 people hit me front the front and run. Thanks to that beam my bumper remained undented but it sucked for the cars that backed up into me.
Old 11-18-05, 09:29 PM
LexFather

1995 LEXUS SC400 LUXURY SPORTS COUPE
by: BILL RUSS

Since Lexus first made its debut in 1989 with the LS 400 luxury sedan it has become the benchmark of quality and fit and finish for the automotive industry. In order to broaden its appeal in the luxury segment of the market Lexus, in 1992, brought forth its sport coupe, the SC 400. Its sleek, svelte design and smooth, powerful performance quickly made it one of the most influential new automobiles in recent memory. Its classic styling originated in Toyota's Southern California Calty Design studio where it was designed specifically for the American market. It was modified only slightly for mass production by the home office in Japan.

The SC400 is a prime example of the truism, "Beauty is more than skin deep." Beneath its now-classic exterior lies a finely engineered powerplant and suspension system, as well as a luxurious and well-outfitted interior. Precision and quality are also important in the Lexus marque, and to round out the attributes of this superb sports car, it delivers what its smooth appearance promises - well-harnessed power and excellent handling in a safe package.

APPEARANCE: Originating from non-automotive rounded artistic forms, the SC400 was designed for distinction. Its well-lighted front-end treatment is distinctive because of the projector beam headlights, plus the separated driving lights and below-the-bumper air intake. Its overall design also reveals a wedge influence, highlighted by some enhancing body creases. Low profile Goodyear Eagle GS-D performance tires mounted on distinctive alloy wheels and bright side window highlights and large side mirrors augment the side view. The short, high rear deck sports a discrete spoiler and the rear panel has prominent stop and turn lighting and two large exhaust pipes.

COMFORT: There is a fine balance of luxury in the SC400. It is completely and tastefully outfitted with almost all available convenience items. Some are expected and some are unique. Among the expected are soft leather upholstery, power windows, mirrors and locks with an audible confirmation, highly visible electronic analog instrument panel, very quiet automatic climate control with an outside temperature indicator and bird's-eye maple wood trim. The unique items include easy access 4-link door hinges that allow the wide doors to open wide for easy access. Tied in with this is the front passenger seat that electrically moves fore and aft to allow easier access to the rear seats. The dash- mounted cup-holder is an engineering marvel. For custom comfort the driver's seat has ten-way power adjustments which, along with the side mirrors and tilt and telescope steering wheel can be pre-set for two drivers. The very fine seven-speaker hi-fi AM/FM/cassette stereo system is upgraded to 210 watts output when the 12 CD auto-changer is mounted in the trunk and can provide up to 12 hours of owner-selected music. For added vision a tilt-and-slide glass sunroof is available.

SAFETY: Lexus emphasizes safety with dual front airbags, and four-wheel disc antilock brakes. The SC400 is equipped with three-point safety belts with special latch clips. In addition it is engineered with front and rear energy crumple zones and side door beams.

ROADABILITY: The SC400 is a luxury grand touring coupe that utilizes solid, proven engineering principles rather than electronic wizardry to provide the smoothness, civility and quietness that are of paramount importance in this class of car. A combination of 4-wheel independent suspension, tuned shocks and stabilizer bars and speed-sensitive power steering assures the driver plenty of the sort of feedback that enables the SC400 to be piloted down any sort of road at speed in comfort and safety. Its 4-wheel ventilated anti-lock disc brakes and Goodyear Eagle speed-rated tires also contribute to safe stopping and excellent road holding.

PERFORMANCE: Under the hood of the SC400 lies a finely engineered 4.0 liter four-cam 32-valve V8 engine with electronic fuel injection. It is tied to an electronically controlled 4-speed automatic transmission that features both normal and power shifting settings as well as an overdrive lockout. This powertrain combination delivers a smooth and quick 250 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque to its rear wheels and propels the SC down the road with abundant conrolled power.

CONCLUSIONS: An introductory goal of the SC400 was to create "active comfort" combining smoothness and quietness with sportiness and character. Judging by the awards bestowed by automotive publications and its acceptance by the purchasing public this Lexus has succeeded.

SPECIFICATIONS:
1994 LEXUS SC 400

Base Price $ 47,500
Price As Tested $ 50,503
Engine Type V-8, dohc-32v, mpfi
Engine Size 4.0 liter/242 cid
Horsepower 250 @ 5600
Torque (ft/lbs) 260 @ 4400
Wheelbase/Length 106"/191"
Transmission four speed auto w/od
Curb Weight 3590
Pounds per Horsepower 14
Fuel Capacity 20
Fuel Requirement Unleaded premium (91 oct)
Tire Goodyear Eagle GS-D 225/55VR16
Brake anti-lock standard disc/disc
Drive Train front engine/rear drive

PERFORMANCE

EPA Economy - miles per gallon,
city/highway/observed 18/22/19.1
0 to 60 mph 7.3 sec
1/4 mi (E.T.) 15.5 sec
Coefficient of drag (cd) .31
Old 11-18-05, 10:25 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I don't think there are any simulated crash tests done on the sc3/4's however if you check out the search, you can see pictures of previous crashes.

The sc4 is a very heavy vehicle which has a long hood, so in a frontal collision it tends to do well. The sides are very strong too, however I would be weary of large suv's. Their bumpers sometimes meet where our heads are situated.

All in all, for its time, the SC4 is a very safe vehicle. (From observation)
Old 11-21-05, 08:28 AM
Will400
Driver

Default Safety does matter.

As if it matters, anyway.

I've never heard of anyone buying a SC3/4 based on its safety rating.

But I wasn't asking for the info for that reason or to purchase one. I saw on the news a story about ratings on some new vehicles and wanted to know about the SCs. Is that okay with you?
Old 11-21-05, 10:42 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default "Rise above it...."

Those safety ratings you saw on TV are probably from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, which started those televised crash tests in the late 90's, so the SC's were never included.

You can see the ES, LS, GS, IS and RX results at:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
Old 11-21-05, 11:28 AM
Will400
Driver

Default This is what I wanted

to know initially. Someone recently rear-ended my 95 and I thought the damage would have been much worse before I got out of the car. It turned out not to be as bad as I thought so that, along with the report got me to wondering about the safety, crash, tests, etc.
Seeing how easily some of these drivers don't pay attention to what they are doing, I feel a little more comfortable knowing I am sitting in something with a good rating.

Those safety ratings you saw on TV are probably from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, which started those televised crash tests in the late 90's, so the SC's were never included.

You can see the ES, LS, GS, IS and RX results at:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
Old 11-22-05, 10:39 AM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

http://www.crashtest.com

best info I've ever found on crash data.

Excellent rating for injuries

Good rating for death rate.

Quick Reply: SC 400 Safety