SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Have you been stopped for tints recently?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 09:48 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Have you been stopped for tints recently?

Me and my friend got pulled over in his gti for tints that were too dark.
Has anybody seen the police using this machine that they put over your window and it measures how much percent is on it? And if its passed new york limits then they give you a ticket?

Does anybody know how this machine works, and is there a way to fool it?
IE: would it work if he got his windows tinted 5% first, and then put a layer of 45% over it, so when the machine would measure, it would say 45%?

What do you think?

Last edited by newyorksc; 02-06-05 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-06-05, 09:54 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I recall, the machine measures how much light passes through. The machine knows the intensity of light it gives off and measures the amount it receives.

The only way I can think of fooling the machine is if you have electronically controlled tinting windows. Sorta like how some rear view mirrors become darker. For windows, this would probably be quite costly.
Old 02-06-05, 10:21 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

that would be a nice feature though!
Old 02-06-05, 11:01 AM
Koma

I think it's actually being done.
Old 02-06-05, 11:03 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

i already did that (adjustable window tint) in an experiment. it's too sensitive to temprature, and when it fails (just like the mirrors) it blotches and spots.
Old 02-06-05, 11:11 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

I just had another "great" idea.

Have 2 sliding windows. One with the dark tint and one with lighter. So when the cops pull you over, slide down the tinted ones and slide up the clear ones up
Old 02-06-05, 12:29 PM
Five1OH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1993SCTT
Me and my friend got pulled over in his gti for tints that were too dark.
Has anybody seen the police using this machine that they put over your window and it measures how much percent is on it? And if its passed new york limits then they give you a ticket?

Does anybody know how this machine works, and is there a way to fool it?
IE: would it work if he got his windows tinted 5% first, and then put a layer of 45% over it, so when the machine would measure, it would say 45%?

What do you think?
I dont think that there is a machine. It is the officer's judgment.
Old 02-06-05, 12:34 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The meters sensor is in the middle of the slot so the only way to fool it is to tint the 1st inch of the window in a legal tint and lay the darker tint on the rest. You will still get a ticket becuase it is clear that there is darker tint on the window. I have been tinting for over 7 years now and have all the toys the cops are finally getting. If they have the meter that slides over the window than most likely they have the one that you put on both sides of the glass to check as well. There is no fooling that sensor. There have been windows made that are able to change by electronic current but the cost effectiveness and relaibility will keep it off of cars for a very long time. It has been used on a glass roof of a car with success but the cost is to high for production on your avarage car.
Old 02-06-05, 12:38 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

i got pulled over for it... cloudy day made the tint look really dark so cop pulled me over and gave me a nice ticket
Old 02-06-05, 12:55 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes i was just pulled over for it right after i got my tint done because i just got my sc. In florida of all places. I had my accord done just like this for 4 years and never got pulled over, but this being a stock sc with tint must have looked out of place. I was comming home from orlando with my gf and her whole family in the car, he pulled me over and said i was running from him. HAH 5 people in my car and no radio on and he was chacing me down i75 when i was doing the speed limit dont think so!

Anyway he made me get out and handcuffed me and kept asking if i had weapons in the car. Then he put a lite meter on the window yes it measure light. He came up with 3% when i have 5 all around and 15 on my windshield. Gave me 2 tickets 1 for the front and one for the sides and back. Total *****, anyway my gf is very sensitive to the son that why i have it, it can make her sick and i told him this and he didnt care. So we got a medical exzemption which he said i couldnt get.
Old 02-06-05, 12:58 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

yeah i was about to say if you have a condition or if your girl has a condition then to get a mediccal exemption.. which is what i'll probably do before i tint b/c they are supposedely breaking down on them in ny
Old 02-07-05, 10:25 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

The medical exemptions don't really work.
I got pulled over a few days ago for tint but the cop had a really confused look on his face when he approached the car and realised the front windows were clear.
I have limo in the rear and on the sunroof so my interior is pretty dark and made the fronts look like they were tinted at night.

~Alan
Old 02-07-05, 10:30 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twizted
yes i was just pulled over for it right after i got my tint done because i just got my sc. In florida of all places. I had my accord done just like this for 4 years and never got pulled over, but this being a stock sc with tint must have looked out of place. I was comming home from orlando with my gf and her whole family in the car, he pulled me over and said i was running from him. HAH 5 people in my car and no radio on and he was chacing me down i75 when i was doing the speed limit dont think so!

Anyway he made me get out and handcuffed me and kept asking if i had weapons in the car. Then he put a lite meter on the window yes it measure light. He came up with 3% when i have 5 all around and 15 on my windshield. Gave me 2 tickets 1 for the front and one for the sides and back. Total *****, anyway my gf is very sensitive to the son that why i have it, it can make her sick and i told him this and he didnt care. So we got a medical exzemption which he said i couldnt get.
Reading that just gave me a headache. Please punctuate and spellcheck That sucks that the cop was being a jerk off. Handcuffing you in front of your family? That is bad.
Old 02-07-05, 11:47 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All the police in my state has had these tint/light meters for more than 10 years now. I think it was back in 1992 they equiped the officers with the meters. Also, nearly every anual safety inspection station has them as well. It is pretty common for police to check tint in my state. Every year when we get our staefty inspections they will check the tint as well before they pass you.
Old 02-07-05, 02:27 PM
MyF355Spid
Driver School Candidate

I had a friend that needed to pass safety inspection, so this is what he did: Rolled down the windows, then pulled the power windows fuse. It's not necessary to have windows (at least not in TX), so he got away with it, but not when he got pulled over. The cops got a ticket for them then.

Quick Reply: Have you been stopped for tints recently?