RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rain sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-21, 05:28 PM
Hsultan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain sensor problem

Hey everyone. I have a 2017 RX 350 with one month left to go on the warranty. I took it to the dealer because the rain sensing windshield wipers are not working correctly. As it turns out the sensor has developed bubbles/an air pocket between itself and the windshield. The windshield has never been replaced nor has the sensor ever been removed, yet the service manager Is convinced the sensor is falling off because it was once removed. There’s no convincing him otherwise. I tried explaining that there’s zero logic in me ever trying to fix this on my own in the past when the car was already under warranty (it’s even still under warranty) and could’ve been fixed for free by the dealer. Unfortunately logic and reasonableness is not working with these people.

i’m curious if anyone has ever seen this problem occur. He’s telling me it’s simply not possible for it to partially detach on its own and is demanding that I pay $2500 to replace the windshield and sensor instead of processing it as a warranty repair

thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-21, 06:20 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If possible, bring it to another Lexus dealer for repair. Your problem is bigger than the windshield and sensor. He basically is saying I don't trust you and you are a liar. I have a problem giving money for service to those who won't take me at my word, even with ample evidence that you are telling the truth.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 08:59 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hsultan
Hey everyone. I have a 2017 RX 350 with one month left to go on the warranty. I took it to the dealer because the rain sensing windshield wipers are not working correctly. As it turns out the sensor has developed bubbles/an air pocket between itself and the windshield. The windshield has never been replaced nor has the sensor ever been removed, yet the service manager Is convinced the sensor is falling off because it was once removed. There’s no convincing him otherwise. I tried explaining that there’s zero logic in me ever trying to fix this on my own in the past when the car was already under warranty (it’s even still under warranty) and could’ve been fixed for free by the dealer. Unfortunately logic and reasonableness is not working with these people.

i’m curious if anyone has ever seen this problem occur. He’s telling me it’s simply not possible for it to partially detach on its own and is demanding that I pay $2500 to replace the windshield and sensor instead of processing it as a warranty repair

thanks in advance.
Call lexus corporate line. I bet they get things straightened out.
hbc0175 (01-13-21)
Old 01-09-21, 01:33 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Call lexus corporate line. I bet they get things straightened out.
Agree 100%.

I recently had a strange, unexplainable spontaneous breakage of my sunroof, parts of which were captured on my dashcam (rear camera), along with the audio of it breaking. It was almost $1,300 to repair and the regional manager told my dealer it was not covered by my warranty (32K miles on the car). I used the 1-800 number that you will find at the end of the warranty in your owner's manual, and explained very calmly what had happened, that it was all on video, and that I could not fathom which exception under the warranty they were relying on to deny me coverage. She asked me a series of questions, promised to review the situation with the dealer, and then call me back in two days. That was on a Tuesday, the day after I had it repaired. On Thursday, she called me and said she was allowing it under the warranty, and asked me to provide a copy of the invoice for the repair, my receipt for payment, and a copy of my vehicle registration to prove I am the owner. I scanned those documents and emailed them to her. She confirmed receipt, confirmed the cost, and told me to expect a check from Lexus in 3 - 4 weeks. She also confirmed that she had checked my vehicle service record and thanked me for having it serviced on schedule at my dealer.

Last edited by dibl; 01-09-21 at 01:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
Cocal (01-09-21), NCRX350 (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21, 06:17 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Dibl was that a pano roof?
Old 01-09-21, 08:11 AM
dibl
Instructor

No, it was the simple sunroof (I call it a moonroof but Lexus calls it a sunroof).
Old 01-09-21, 09:03 AM
Hsultan
Driver School Candidate

Paul - many thanks for replying so quickly. I'm going that route as well. Hopefully it works!
Old 01-09-21, 09:06 AM
Hsultan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dibl
Agree 100%.

I recently had a strange, unexplainable spontaneous breakage of my sunroof, parts of which were captured on my dashcam (rear camera), along with the audio of it breaking. It was almost $1,300 to repair and the regional manager told my dealer it was not covered by my warranty (32K miles on the car). I used the 1-800 number that you will find at the end of the warranty in your owner's manual, and explained very calmly what had happened, that it was all on video, and that I could not fathom which exception under the warranty they were relying on to deny me coverage. She asked me a series of questions, promised to review the situation with the dealer, and then call me back in two days. That was on a Tuesday, the day after I had it repaired. On Thursday, she called me and said she was allowing it under the warranty, and asked me to provide a copy of the invoice for the repair, my receipt for payment, and a copy of my vehicle registration to prove I am the owner. I scanned those documents and emailed them to her. She confirmed receipt, confirmed the cost, and told me to expect a check from Lexus in 3 - 4 weeks. She also confirmed that she had checked my vehicle service record and thanked me for having it serviced on schedule at my dealer.
Dibl - Many thanks for getting back to me on this. I've called them and they've opened up a case and will get back to me next week. I also called another dealer's service department and asked if they've seen it before and they said they have but that they'd like to see it before they can come to a determination. So hopefully that works.
Old 01-09-21, 09:46 AM
Cocal
Racer

No, it was the simple sunroof (I call it a moonroof but Lexus calls it a sunroof).
That's a bummer!
1st one I've heard of, though I've heard that the pano roof is a real problem with cracking in all car makers, I guess the flexing & twisting as the body moves generate stresses not thought of originally.
Old 01-09-21, 09:51 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cocal
That's a bummer!
Indeed it was -- first issue I've had with my car in almost 3 years. There are some paint scratches on the roof (that you can't see) that I'll have a body shop touch up in the Spring. Although it's true that the glass blowout caused the paint scratches, I decided not to push my luck with Lexus, after I got a "YES" on the main repair job.
Cocal (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21, 09:55 AM
Cocal
Racer

Indeed it was -- first issue I've had with my car in almost 3 years. There are some paint scratches on the roof (that you can't see) that I'll have a body shop touch up in the Spring. Although it's true that the glass blowout caused the paint scratches, I decided not to push my luck with Lexus, after I got a "YES" on the main repair job.
You are a wise man!
dibl (01-09-21)