RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Park assist going haywire in rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 10:15 PM
rx4live
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park assist going haywire in rain

i just bought a rx 350 (first time Lexus buyer), i like the car but there might something wrong with my parking assist. Normally, the park assist works fine but on raining days, the sensors would go haywire with message like sensors are dirty need cleaning or detecting object in the front and back that doesn't exist (not even heavy rain).

I am just wondering is this normal, has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 03-11-17, 05:10 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by rx4live
i just bought a rx 350 (first time Lexus buyer), i like the car but there might something wrong with my parking assist. Normally, the park assist works fine but on raining days, the sensors would go haywire with message like sensors are dirty need cleaning or detecting object in the front and back that doesn't exist (not even heavy rain).

Good morning and WELCOME!

Congrats on your lexus. Sorry to say you need to take it to the dealer but first try and take a VIDEO of what is going on. Maybe have someone spray water on the sensors etc. Make sure you try and clean the sensors first.

I drove in heavy crazy rain with no issues. My car was actually SUPER dirty from the mountains and snow dirt and STILL no issues. So you might have some sort of issue with the car. Again, try cleaning it, reproduce the issue just in case so it's not a wasted trip to the dealer.
Old 03-11-17, 05:38 AM
pelos124
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the issue happens, try to see which side is the one that's acting up. I've seen small rock chips on either sensor usually front ones, cause the park assist to act up.
Old 03-11-17, 06:14 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

My old 3RX had the same issues a few times. They just changed the sensors and all was fine.
Old 03-11-17, 06:34 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

My highly waxed 450h sensors seem to work as required when it rains. The rear camera gets a bit fuzzy due to water on the lens but that is to be expected.
Old 03-11-17, 07:23 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The only time I saw this was going through a car wash.
But I have been through some heavy downpours with no issues.
Old 03-11-17, 11:37 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I noticed sleet and wet, sticky snow will also trigger the sensors. This depends on the speed since I believe the vehicle ignores the sensors above a certain speed.
Old 03-13-17, 01:12 AM
2016lexusf
Driver School Candidate

yes is it normal it was happening to me as well right after i gave my car a bath and the issues gone away it's because lexus Paking assit is too sensitive
Old 03-13-17, 05:38 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 3RX and this happens to me sometimes in the snow when stopped at a light or stop sign. Another time it happened to my wife non stop but it was because some wet snow became stuck on one of the sensors..
Old 04-08-18, 02:46 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

This happened with my 17rx450 just yesterday in heavy rain, multiple times. the 'clean parking assist sensor' warning would show up, and disable both the parking sensors and the ICS. Cleaned the sensors multiple times, to no avail. Is this SOP, or can the dealer fix it so it doesn't happen again?
Old 04-08-18, 03:27 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
This happened with my 17rx450 just yesterday in heavy rain, multiple times. the 'clean parking assist sensor' warning would show up, and disable both the parking sensors and the ICS. Cleaned the sensors multiple times, to no avail. Is this SOP, or can the dealer fix it so it doesn't happen again?
Something is wrong if they re clean and still disabled.
Old 04-08-18, 06:19 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rx4live

Happened to my 3RX once in 7 years, but after a restart of the engine it was gone and never reoccurred (probably some rain condensation). My 3RX was 7 years old when that happened for the first time, so that was not something that you should have to deal with regularly. If the sensors continue to behave this way, something is not right. I would take it to the dealership asap.
Old 04-09-18, 04:49 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
.... in heavy rain, multiple times. the 'clean parking assist sensor' warning .....
The manual does mention this as a reason for limiting the sensor ability:

.• The sensor is coated with a sheet of spray or heavy rain.
Old 09-24-18, 12:53 PM
gdavis
Driver School Candidate

Default Park Assist going haywire

The driver's side, front corner parking sensor of my 2011 RX 450h has just begun recently to go off during rains. I feel your pain. After thoroughly cleaning the car and sensor, the problem remains. My local Lexus dealer says it would probably cost $600-$700 to replace the sensor. I'm not very knowledgable about automobile technology, but this seems pretty steep to me. Anyone else care to comment? Thanks!
Old 09-24-18, 01:11 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by gdavis
The driver's side, front corner parking sensor of my 2011 RX 450h has just begun recently to go off during rains. I feel your pain. After thoroughly cleaning the car and sensor, the problem remains. My local Lexus dealer says it would probably cost $600-$700 to replace the sensor. I'm not very knowledgable about automobile technology, but this seems pretty steep to me. Anyone else care to comment? Thanks!
The cost of the sensor itself should be somewhere around $250. The major part of the labor involved to install it comes as the result of the fact that the bumper will need to be removed and re-installed. They are likely allowing for somewhere between 1 and 2 hours of labor to complete that job.

I'm confident in guessing that, if you have the sensor replaced at a Toyota dealer or at an independent shop, the total cost of the job would be somewhere in the $350-450 range, depending on the prevailing labor rates in your area.
The following users liked this post:
gdavis (09-24-18)

Quick Reply: Park assist going haywire in rain