RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Thinking of buying brand new Lexus 2017 Rx 350 f-sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 07:07 PM
Bchydro604
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying brand new Lexus 2017 Rx 350 f-sport

Hey guys, new to the forums. Im thinking of buying the rx350 f-Sport. I read few things about vibrations and major problems. I need your guys input if I should go ahead and buy. Also Is f-Sport have problems or is it only the base regular models. Thank you
Old 02-08-18, 07:40 PM
Daniel2311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a new 2017 non F sport today. I purposely test drove it on the freeway, no issues.
Made a deal and drove home 150 miles, absolutely smooth on the road.

Dan
Old 02-08-18, 08:54 PM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 16 RX 350 F Sprot. I have had the hesitation issue; Fixed under warranty with a TSB. I have had the Pano Sunroof beauty strips replaced twice because they came off; its a bad design and the dealer says they see them often. Lexus really needs to redesign these pieces. These are really the only issues I have had. I drive the car fairly spiritedly and have no major complaints.
Old 02-08-18, 09:04 PM
Bchydro604
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No experience with excessive noise and vibration ??
my main concern. Thinking either going with the 2017 or the 2018 model.
Old 02-09-18, 04:16 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bchydro604
As for the '18, I got one last week, RX 350 AWD, Canada build, the curse of these very helpful boards is you get your new car and start off looking for all the "might haves" from these posts. That being said, I do not have any of the issues or complaints anyone has written about. I purposely looked for vibration just above 1500 rpm which is about 61 mph in top gear. I just made a 250 mile round trip on limited access roads and if I had to find something, I'd say there is some slight resonance from the exhaust system at that speed/rpm. Nothing noteworthy, and in fact maybe less than I get in our '17 BMW 430i when the second exhaust cuts in. I've had 5 Lexus, (RX, IS, ES, NX) just came from a '15 NX F-Sport AWD. The RX is much quieter, more refined, but both have their advantages. Good dealer, car delivered in perfect shape, no issues at all.
Old 02-09-18, 06:21 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
As for the '18, I got one last week, RX 350 AWD, Canada build, the curse of these very helpful boards is you get your new car and start off looking for all the "might haves" from these posts. That being said, I do not have any of the issues or complaints anyone has written about. I purposely looked for vibration just above 1500 rpm which is about 61 mph in top gear. I just made a 250 mile round trip on limited access roads and if I had to find something, I'd say there is some slight resonance from the exhaust system at that speed/rpm. Nothing noteworthy, and in fact maybe less than I get in our '17 BMW 430i when the second exhaust cuts in. I've had 5 Lexus, (RX, IS, ES, NX) just came from a '15 NX F-Sport AWD. The RX is much quieter, more refined, but both have their advantages. Good dealer, car delivered in perfect shape, no issues at all.
Same here, no problems whatsoever in the year I've owned it.
Old 02-09-18, 07:02 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey guys, new to the forums. Im thinking of buying the rx350 f-Sport. I read few things about vibrations and major problems. I need your guys input if I should go ahead and buy. Also Is f-Sport have problems or is it only the base regular models. Thank you
Im having such a hard time believing that others have no vibration or drone. Everyone I drove had some degree of this. Granted mine is the worse one I have driven. Even Lexus says its a normal characteristic, so maybe some folks are just to caught up in the Lexus hype to think it has issues. My experience with many new cars is that this one is nothing special. Its not as quiet as GM, handling is just ok, tramsmissin characteristics are poor. For the price I would look elsewhere.
Old 02-09-18, 07:59 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2017 RX 350 non f-sport with about 11,000 miles and have had zero issues. I test drove 3 different ones and went with the one I enjoyed driving the most.
Old 02-09-18, 08:31 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Im having such a hard time believing that others have no vibration or drone. Everyone I drove had some degree of this. Granted mine is the worse one I have driven. Even Lexus says its a normal characteristic, so maybe some folks are just to caught up in the Lexus hype to think it has issues. My experience with many new cars is that this one is nothing special. Its not as quiet as GM, handling is just ok, tramsmissin characteristics are poor. For the price I would look elsewhere.
Well, I guess I've been fooled; 50 brand new cars ('18 RX noted in my post today, above, is my 50th), 5 Lexus, 4 Mercedes, BMW, Toyotas, Hondas, Buicks, Jeeps, and others. Thanks for your insight.
Old 02-09-18, 08:32 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Mine had slight droning+ at low RPMS. It never bothered me and gave it a more engine sound type of feel haha. I got it fixed though and now it doesnt make any noise or vibrations.

NO matter what test drive the car before you buy.
Old 02-09-18, 08:39 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just test drive, and get the one that you like. Not every RX has excessive noise and vibration. I got 16 F Sport and after 2 years, I still love it, and seats are still same as new. When I had my car in for maintenance, local Lexus dealer give me 17 RX with luxury package with 15K miles as loaner, and seats was already flat from normal wear, and when making the turns it wasn't comfortable. Unless you not using Sports+ suspensions feels almost same as non F Sport. Also F Sport has custom setting for A/C, drivetrain, and suspension.
Old 02-09-18, 11:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,368 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw

You should definitely go back to GM products since they are quite special. Former GM owner here and never again.
Old 02-09-18, 04:07 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
You should definitely go back to GM products since they are quite special. Former GM owner here and never again.
Another once only GM (Holden in Oz) owner here - at the end of the 3 year warranty period I had warranty dockets literally 1 inch thick, absolute heap of crap.
Old 02-12-18, 10:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Several posts have been moved over to the F-Sport vs. Luxury thread. Please keep the comments relevant to OP's questions.
Old 02-12-18, 11:28 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally wouldn't let the vibration issue sway you from buying an awesome vehicle.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying brand new Lexus 2017 Rx 350 f-sport