RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Who has GROM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 06:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,001 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Hi Salim, there should be no issues with the music volume vs apps volume.
Thank you.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (02-06-24)
Old 02-08-24, 09:23 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 143 Likes on 114 Posts
Default GROM VLine VL2 CarPlay install in Lexus RX 350 2019

Here is the most recent video of the installation of GROM VLine VL2 system into Lexus RX 350 2019:

We show how to secure the main "brain" unit inside the glove compartment, and how to install GPS antenna so it is not visible from outside, yet there is no obstruction to the signal. The VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system model that will fit 2013-2019 Lexus RX 350 450H with the factory navigation is LEX78, available here:

https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex78_.html

The installation steps are the same for the VLine VL2 and the VLite VT2. For 2013-2019 Lexus RX with factory navigation, both systems use the factory microphone that is already available in the vehicle. Both systems, VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto.

Last edited by gromaudio; 02-08-24 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-13-24, 03:25 PM
AWaterbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for using GROM VLite VT2 system, and thank you for your feedback! We want to see if we can improve your experience as mentioned in #5 and #8 of your post.
1. #5 - you can adjust the bass / treble by going to the Factory UI (or Car Settings) and adjusting the sound settings for the stereo's VLite mode (USB mode in your case).[snip]

2. #8 You need to adjust the microphone gain. On the main VLite UI go to Settings and down to the Microphone Gain. Set the microphone gain to 65.
There is no need to go to the installer for the microphone setting, unless they positioned the microphone so it is not picking up the voice.

Also, the #9 on your list - crashing is not normal. If it will happening, contact our technical team at https://gromaudio.com/support.html They will look into it. [snip]
Also, regarding to the #5 in your list and the playback dropouts - check there are no notifications that are running on the background of your iPhone (Facebook, YouTube, other apps that like to send the notifications). Every time the notification comes in the sound might drop.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. After a couple of weeks, I have the following additional feedback:
  1. I'm going to upgrade my review of the general sound quality to "Better than factory BT."
    1. I don't know if this is just placebo effect or real, but I've had a few instances listening to my collection of Al Di Meola tracks where I thought, "Hey, this sounds really good!"
  2. But I'm still getting periodic audio dropouts.
    1. I set my iPhone to Do Not Disturb mode for awhile, which suppresses all notifications and alerts, and I still got dropouts.
    2. Then I turned DND off, and sent myself a bunch of messages and emails, and the incoming alerts and notifications did _not_ trigger audio dropouts.
    3. So I don't think the dropouts are related to alerts and notifications.
  3. I finally found the microphone gain setting (in the Grom settings, NOT the CarPlay settings!), and it's better now, but not as nearly as good as my factory BT was for phone calls.
    1. The installer tech fiddled with the placement and direction of the mic, but could not get any improvement.
    2. The installer tech said that the Grom unit uses the Grom-supplied mic, and that connecting to the factory mic was not an option. Is that true?
    3. Does Grom sell an upgraded mic?
  4. I connected my Grom unit to my home WiFi and checked the firmware versions, and I'm current.
    1. But I haven't had any more crashes, so maybe that was just a one-time problem.
  5. The delay between shifting into reverse and seeing the backup camera display is more annoying than I'd originally thought.
    1. Try a 3-point turn or a 5-point parallel park, and you'll see that the extra 1-2 seconds to see the display is actually meaningful.
    2. I hope this is something that can be improved with some software optimization, because I'm guessing that the vast majority of people shift into reverse when they start their car, so this is literally one of the very first things they'll see out of the Grom unit, every single day, so it's important that it be a good experience.
  6. Is there any way to overlay the current audio volume over the CarPlay display?
    1. Right now there is no visual indicator of the current audio volume setting.
  7. Is there any way to overlay the climate control temperature settings over the CarPlay display?
    1. Right now there is no visual indicator of the climate control temperature settings.
Overall I'm still giving this a thumbs-up, and I'm glad I bought this upgrade, especially because I didn't think it would ever be possible to add CarPlay to a 13 year old car.
gromaudio (02-14-24)
Old 02-13-24, 08:24 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by AWaterbug
Hi! Thanks for the reply. After a couple of weeks, I have the following additional feedback:
Edit ..snip[
especially because I didn't think it would ever be possible to add CarPlay to a 13 year old car.
IMHO this is the rapidly shrinking market that the retrofitters are targeting. Latest models are now CarPlay ready. That leave very old and moderately old models. Who is willing to invest a good chunk of change .... moderately old model owners. Headache for the owners as well as the retrofitters is that are differences in the same generation RX models.

Salim
AWaterbug (02-14-24)
Old 02-15-24, 01:41 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by AWaterbug
  1. I'm going to upgrade my review of the general sound quality to "Better than factory BT."
    1. I don't know if this is just placebo effect or real, but I've had a few instances listening to my collection of Al Di Meola tracks where I thought, "Hey, this sounds really good!"
  2. But I'm still getting periodic audio dropouts.
    1. I set my iPhone to Do Not Disturb mode for awhile, which suppresses all notifications and alerts, and I still got dropouts.
    2. Then I turned DND off, and sent myself a bunch of messages and emails, and the incoming alerts and notifications did _not_ trigger audio dropouts.
    3. So I don't think the dropouts are related to alerts and notifications..
Try to update the firmware to the latest, as it is shown here:

If you are on the latest FW and still experience audio dropouts, contact our technical team at https://gromaudio.com/support.html They will look further into it.

We do not offer any other microphones. What is the microphone gain number that you currently use?

The climate controls overlay over CarPlay is supported only for certain stereos. We might implement it in the future updates for more stereos, but there is to ETA. Stay tuned for our updates.
Old 02-23-24, 02:47 PM
AWaterbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to update the firmware to the latest, as it is shown here:

If you are on the latest FW and still experience audio dropouts, contact our technical team at https://gromaudio.com/support.html They will look further into it.

We do not offer any other microphones. What is the microphone gain number that you currently use?

The climate controls overlay over CarPlay is supported only for certain stereos. We might implement it in the future updates for more stereos, but there is to ETA. Stay tuned for our updates.
I have already checked for firmware updates, and the unit reports that it has the latest.

My current mic gain is 85. The tech and I tried values between 65 and 100, and 85 seemed to have the best audio quality, but it still was not good enough.

​​​​​​​I have raised a support ticket for the audio dropouts and crashing behavior, since it crashed or froze up several more times over the last 2 weeks.
gromaudio (02-29-24)
Old 03-07-24, 10:23 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Hello all,

We will have the next group buy order for the GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system starting on March 12th. Both systems will add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereo of your Lexus vehicle. The group ordering period will run until March 20th. The group order participants will receive a special discount code for $120 off the VLine VL2 or $70 off the VLite VT2. Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 will be available under the group order.

The product will ship from the end of March to early April. If you want to participate in the upcoming group order, please send us a private message with your name and email address, and we will add you to the group order list. There is no obligation to order within the group. You can also send us the request to join the group order via our website contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html

Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 systems offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Contact us with any questions, and we will be happy to help!

Wireless CarPlay on the factory car stereo of Lexus GS 350 2016-2020, using GROM VLine VL2 system.

Wireless Android Auto on the factory car stereo of Lexus GS 350 2016-2020, using GROM VLine VL2 system.
Old 03-07-24, 12:20 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Hello all,

We will have the next group buy order for the GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system starting on March 12th. Both systems will add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereo of your Lexus vehicle. The group ordering period will run until March 20th. The group order participants will receive a special discount code for $120 off the VLine VL2 or $70 off the VLite VT2. Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 will be available under the group order.

The product will ship from the end of March to early April. If you want to participate in the upcoming group order, please send us a private message with your name and email address, and we will add you to the group order list. There is no obligation to order within the group. You can also send us the request to join the group order via our website contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html

Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 systems offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Contact us with any questions, and we will be happy to help!

Some of the frequently asked questions are:

1. What is the difference between GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2?
The GROM VLine VL2 offers wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a stand-alone Android interface that you can use to download almost any app from the Google Play store to use in your car. The GROM VLite VT2 system is for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto only.

2. Can I install the system myself?
Yes, you can install the system if you have some technical ability. You will need to disassemble the portion of the dashboard to connect the system to the back of the stereo and display and install the microphone and GPS antenna. We have plenty of install videos on our website:
https://gromaudio.com/installs/index.html
Otherwise, the local car stereo shop in your area should be able to help you with the installation.

The GROM
VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems come with 30 days return for the refund period and 18-month warranty.

To join the group, send us the request via the web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html or PM us your email address, and we will add you to the group list.

Wireless CarPlay on the factory car stereo of Lexus GS 350 2016-2020, using GROM VLine VL2 system.

Wireless Android Auto on the factory car stereo of Lexus GS 350 2016-2020, using GROM VLine VL2 system.
Old 04-05-24, 07:34 PM
salimshah

Default installed!

Just sharing that I took advantage of the this offer and installed the lIte version in my 2011 450H.

Installation was easy. I lined the cables with felt [1/4" foam sheet was not readily available. The Line-Lite unit sits in the center cosnole, velcroed down. Needed to drill a 3/4" hole to pass the cables. I did not remove the radio and just dropped a feeder from the Nav screen down. I removed the driver seat rails to create room to pass the wire from center console to multimedia ECU which is in the rear of the middle console. I routed mic as literature had doubtful statement about its need. Now it is tucked away as I don't intend to open any panel to pull it out.

Wired CarPlay worked on first attempt. Ran into issue with bluetooth connection. Tried to follow instructions to remove connection in User Manual. Found instructions to be incorrect and reached out online support. Tech was available immediately and gave me instructions. Followed them and they were precise.

Observed predeclared quirkiness with factory reverse camera.

I have been unable to find a way to switch back and forth between factory [vehicle] display and vline display. [BeatSonic has "Map" button to switch]. If any one knows please share.

Also if there is a button to wake Siri, please share.

Salim.

gromaudio (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 09:00 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by salimshah
I have been unable to find a way to switch back and forth between factory [vehicle] display and vline display. [BeatSonic has "Map" button to switch]. If any one knows please share.

Also if there is a button to wake Siri, please share.

Salim.
Hi Salim, thank you for your review!
Holding seek up on the stereo launches Siri and if you press MAP or MENU on the trackpad it would go to the factory UI. See if that will work for you!
Old Today, 12:28 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Hello all,

We will have the next group buy order for the GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system starting on May 8th. Both systems will add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereo of your Lexus vehicle. The group ordering period will run until May 17th. The group order participants will receive a special discount code for $120 off the VLine VL2 or $70 off the VLite VT2. Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 will be available under the group order.

The product will ship after May 25th. If you want to participate in the upcoming group order, please send us a private message with your name and email address, and we will add you to the group order list. There is no obligation to order within the group. You can also send us the request to join the group order via our website contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html

Some of the frequently asked questions are:

1. What is the difference between GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2?
The GROM VLine VL2 offers wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a stand-alone Android interface that you can use to download almost any app from the Google Play store to use in your car. The GROM VLite VT2 system is for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto only.

2. Can I install the system myself?
Yes, you can install the system if you have some technical ability. You will need to disassemble the portion of the dashboard to connect the system to the back of the stereo and display and install the microphone and GPS antenna. We have plenty of install videos on our website:
https://gromaudio.com/installs/index.html
Otherwise, the local car stereo shop in your area should be able to help you with the installation.

The GROM
VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems come with 30 days return for the refund period and 18-month warranty.

To join the group, send us the request via the web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html or PM us your email address, and we will add you to the group list.

CarPlay on the factory car stereo of Lexus RX 2016-2019 GS 2016-2020

Android Auto on the factory car stereo of Lexus RX 2016-2019 GS 2016-2020

Android Auto music and maps on the factory car stereo of Lexus RX 2016-2019 GS 2016-2020

Last edited by gromaudio; Today at 12:41 PM.
Smooph73 (Today)