RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bluetooth has stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 12:21 PM
LexusHoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth has stopped working

I don’t have the navigation system so I use voice commands.. steps are when I press the talk button:
-Say a command..i say “pair”
- Say a name for your phone ..I say “ *** iphone”
-after it repeats it back to me, it asks me if the name is correct , I press the talk switch and say “correct”

it the gives me the handsfree code to put into my phone

i see “handsfree” in the Bluetooth menu of my iPhone 6s but it will not detect my cars Bluetooth. I have tried several phones but none work. It used to work but recently stopped.

Could I have a bad Bluetooth module.. if there is something like that in my 2010 RX350?

thx
Old 07-08-19, 06:06 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,197 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Try deleting the phone and then re-pairing it. My 2010 continues to only pair with my Android phone only about half the time. Then when I go to manually connect it (I have Nav) that only works some of the time. Also check your phone bluetooth is still on.

I blame it on crappy Toyota/Lexus electronics. My next vehicle will be from another manufacturer.
The following users liked this post:
LexusHoo (07-08-19)
Old 07-09-19, 11:59 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusHoo
i see “handsfree” in the Bluetooth menu of my iPhone 6s but it will not detect my cars Bluetooth.
If HANDSFREE shows up in your phone, it's either because its a saved pairing, or it's seeing the car broadcasting it's BT name. If its a saved pairing, make sure to delete this as well off your phone in addition to deleting the phone from the car's system (ie delete references from both car and phone to each other). Then begin again as a fresh start. Hopefully you will then see HANDSFREE as a new and available BT connection and selecting it will offer up the pair code input step. Phones periodically get updates which can mess up existing BT pairing, sometimes a little sometimes a lot. This necessitates a clean sweep and new pair setup.
Old 07-09-19, 01:15 PM
LexusHoo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Andy. Just gave it a try, now it says CAR M_MEDIA on my phone and car display and still will not pair. The Bluetooth on my system is clear and empty. When I do go to pair, CAR _MEDIA pops up but my phone states “Pairing unsuccessful”. I’ve tried it with an iPhone 6S, an iPhone 7, and even tried an old iPhone 4

by the way, the only options I have now in my car are to “pair phone” and “set passkey”
Old 07-09-19, 02:50 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 878 Likes on 662 Posts

Press the speech button and ask to "List Phones". If she gives you the Pardon, Pardon loop just press and say "Go Back", press and Go Back
a couple of times to get to the top of the voice command tree. Note: it is easier and quicker after the first button press to just use the left stereo
**** to seek and select from the menu. The entire command tree is in the owners manual (go to www.lexusdrivers.com and then resources to
get a downloaded manual if yours is gone.) When you get to List Phones she will present each paired phone name in the original owners voice.
You can pair only four (4) phones. If you turn the left stereo **** to Set Up and press, then Phone Set Up and press, then Delete Phone and
press, then turn to each previous phone name and press so they get deleted. Take out one or all so there is room for yours to be added.

A somewhat easier command is to ask her to "Initiate" the system. This is the most drastic because it wipes out all phone pairing, call logs,
speed dials...everything. Now retry the pairing procedure. While pairing our recent phones (even iPhone 4!) to the early Lexus is like playing
a BlueRay disc in an 8-Track player it will work. It will not transfer the phone book entries but you can always use Siri (after iPhone 5s) to dial
the numbers.
Old 07-09-19, 04:14 PM
LexusHoo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice mcomer. Mine is definitely screwed up. We also have a 2018 NX and no problem pairing.

Ok.. when I press the talk switch, the voice welcomes me to hands free and tells me before I begin, I must pair a phone. I ask her to list phones, she says “pardon”. Whether I use the **** or voice prompts, I say “go back”. It goes back to the radio immediately. There is no other command available but to pair phone or change the code. There is nothing in the system to go back to. If I tell her to initiate the system, she says “pardon”.. I keep saying it and it dumps me back to the radio.. I try to pair, can see it on my phone in Bluetooth, but it simply will not pair. I’m pretty tech savvy but this is making me nuts... haha.

edit.. was able to initialize thru the BT-A... still, no dice

Last edited by LexusHoo; 07-09-19 at 04:29 PM.