RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Change brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 02:48 PM
jsanders
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change brake fluid

How necessary is it to change brake fluid every 30k? Why does Lexus recommend it every 30k, but Toyota manuals make no mention of it? And can you do it yourself just by sucking out old brake fluid and adding new?
Old 06-13-19, 05:09 PM
slawless
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

my BMWs recommend something similar. I think its about 25000. To truly change the fluid you should suck out most of the fluid from the reservoir. then refill it with new fluid. then bleed each caliper to try to flush new fluid through the lines and into the cylinders of the caliper. ( refilling the reservoir as needed.) you will usually need about 3 bottles of brake fluid. Its not difficult. best done with a lift or stands.
Old 06-13-19, 06:02 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

its highly recommended to go by the schedule. Brake fluid for passenger vehicles is hygroscopic and will attract moisture over time. The moisture can turn to steam under hard braking...decreasing braking effectiveness as well as eventually ruin your brake caliper pistons.
Old 06-14-19, 09:52 AM
jsanders
Driver

Still though my Lexus dealer wants $220 for it in California. Crazy cost for something that is every 30k miles.
Old 06-14-19, 10:23 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

How long are you planning to keep this car?

If you're going to sell it before it hits 100k miles you can get away with not doing it at all.

If you plan to keep it for a long time it's best to change it sometimes, but time is more important than mileage, so change it every 4 or 5 years.

Get a brake fluid tester, it costs about $10 and it will tell you the moisture content of your fluid. If the moisture is low you can wait another year.

This is just my opinion.
Old 06-14-19, 12:17 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Any independent car repair shop that works on Toyotas can do this as they will have the software to do a proper bleed through activating the ABS and electronic brake force distribution systems. About $150 is an average price on the east cost, but everything cost more in CA. You should call around as this is a simple job and you can surely find it for less elsewhere.
Old 06-14-19, 03:13 PM
jsanders
Driver

Can I just partially sort of do it myself by sucking out old fluid from the top and filling in new fluid? I really don't want to spend this money.
Old 06-14-19, 04:23 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Even $220 is going to be a lot less than the consequences of having your brakes give out. Have it done correctly whether you do it yourself or pay to have it done.
Old 06-14-19, 09:26 PM
jsanders
Driver

Why would not changing the fluid cause the brakes to give out on an RX350 but not on a mechanically similar Toyota Highlander? Again, Toyota manuals do not recommend changing brake fluid.
Old 06-14-19, 10:29 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by jsanders
Can I just partially sort of do it myself by sucking out old fluid from the top and filling in new fluid? I really don't want to spend this money.
Problem with replacing the fluid in the reservoir is that you get fresh fluid in the reservoir. The fluid is not circulated and the fluid in the pipes stays in the pipes. The fluid that gets contaminated is in the slave cylinders.

Since it is your vehicle, feel free to make the choice that suit you/your_circumstances. There are other fluids too and really it is unto the owner to adhere to them or replace them more frequently or les frequently. I recall a study done with New York taxi cabs where they did not replace the engine oil as suggested by the manufacturer and the study found no issues.

Here in Club Lexus, members tend to do more frequent transmission fluid change and less frequent brake fluid change.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
jsanders (06-14-19)
Old 06-15-19, 08:19 AM
Clutchless

I believe almost all car manufacturers, Toyota included, recommend a brake fluid flush or change every few years or 40,000 miles or so. If Lexus recommends it, and they do, then even if the Toyota service manual does not explicitly recommend it, in the auto maintenance industry it is pretty much standard practice these days with all the very expensive brake components that could be damaged by contaminated fluid. But, it is your expensive luxury vehicle and if you want to skip a relatively inexpensive preventive maintenance item, just be prepared for the $3000 cost of the new electronic brake force distribution device or ABS system.

The procedure is to first replace the fluid in the reservoir, then bleed the brake system while using Techstream to activate the ABS system etc so all old fluid is removed.
The following users liked this post:
sunamer (11-30-19)
Old 06-15-19, 08:39 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I believe almost all car manufacturers, Toyota included, recommend a brake fluid flush or change every few years or 40,000 miles or so. If Lexus recommends it, and they do, then even if the Toyota service manual does not explicitly recommend it, in the auto maintenance industry it is pretty much standard practice these days with all the very expensive brake components that could be damaged by contaminated fluid. But, it is your expensive luxury vehicle and if you want to skip a relatively inexpensive preventive maintenance item, just be prepared for the $3000 cost of the new electronic brake force distribution device or ABS system.

The procedure is to first replace the fluid in the reservoir, then bleed the brake system while using Techstream to activate the ABS system etc so all old fluid is removed.
I am curious. If the procedure requires Techstream, how do all the independents offer brake fluid replacement for ours and many other cars with similar systems?
Old 06-15-19, 08:57 AM
Clutchless

Most of them have Techstream software. It does not cost that much for a version that runs on a PC or on a brake fluid exchange machine. They have to buy this type of software for all car companies they work on. Although some may not have it and may just use the machine alone.

Per this link Apparently, Techstream is not needed every time you bleed but only if the master cylinder was touched. https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...-sst-tool.html

Most have machines like this one that gets it all done quickly https://www.motorvac.com/index.cfm?id=31913

I have done brake bleeding at home with my MityVac vacuum bleeder after replacing the brake pads and it worked just fine. I know the ABS solenoids were not activated, but I had had a shop do a brake flush less than a year earlier, so I doubt it made much difference that that fluid was not touched. However after that initial bleed, drive down a dirt road and slam on your brakes several times to activate the ABS and circulate brake fluid through the ABS module, then bleed again. Do this a couple of times and you can skip going to a shop with Techstream.

Last edited by Clutchless; 06-16-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-15-19, 08:02 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

For 450H I did the fluid replacement and the pump is electric [remains powered even without the ignition key]. My wife was my assistant and she just held the pedal down while I proceeded to let out fluid from all corners and kept the level high in the reservoir. It took us 10minutes.

Salim
Old 06-16-19, 12:36 PM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Nothing wrong with hanging fluid, it does go bad.

Quick Reply: Change brake fluid