RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rust on my Lexus!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-18, 08:40 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rust on my Lexus!!!

How can that be and it's only 3 years old!!
It is starting to rust in the inner corner of the right brake light assembly. I'll have to pull the light to see what is going on. Probably due to a lack of paint in the area or physical damage installing the light at the factory.

Anyone else see rusting here???
Jim

Old 10-27-18, 12:12 PM
SilverRX30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like it's causing the paint to peel above and below are where your rear light is situated. What a bummer! Sorry to see that.
Old 10-28-18, 06:36 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I think that would be underf the factory rust warranty. Take it to the dealer. You are not perforated yet, but on the way to that end stage.

To quote Google:
CORROSION PERFORATION WARRANTY. ... TheCorrosion Perforation Warranty coverage is for 72 months, regardless of mileage. See your Lexus dealer for complete details on the Lexus CorrosionPerforation Warranty.
Old 10-28-18, 10:43 AM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RealWing
How can that be and it's only 3 years old!!
It is starting to rust in the inner corner of the right brake light assembly. I'll have to pull the light to see what is going on. Probably due to a lack of paint in the area or physical damage installing the light at the factory.

Anyone else see rusting here???
Jim
It may be due damage from rock chips and road salt. Doesnt look too bad except it's on a $55,000 Lexus.

Come to my neck of the woods and you will see 3 year old domestic made SUVs and pickups with rust and corrosion along rocker panels.
Old 10-29-18, 09:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Did you buy your Lexus from the dealer? Is there evidence that perhaps the front was re-painted (for some reason)? Normally Lexus would not have paint defects as shown.
Old 10-29-18, 03:33 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That panel looks like its been repainted and the clear is breaking down around the rusted area . Whats the stuff on the light its self . Almost looks like overspray or maybe just dirt . Bottom line it needs the light taken out , grind out the rust and repaint . Factory paint probably wont rust like that . I think its been worked on before .
Old 10-30-18, 04:49 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default I agree with Mandy and Barry

When i first saw this title of this post that's exactly what i thought. If you didn't buy new then i would think you don't know the whole history of the vehicle. Carfax can only report what's been reported. Maybe previous owner fixed it himself. OR maybe dealer fixed damage prior to initial delivery(google corvette damage after newly delivered cars coming off trailer-- yikes!). From my experience rust warranties are for perforation. You are far from perforation. Unsightly , yes .
Old 10-30-18, 06:45 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
When i first saw this title of this post that's exactly what i thought. If you didn't buy new then i would think you don't know the whole history of the vehicle. Carfax can only report what's been reported. Maybe previous owner fixed it himself. OR maybe dealer fixed damage prior to initial delivery(google corvette damage after newly delivered cars coming off trailer-- yikes!). From my experience rust warranties are for perforation. You are far from perforation. Unsightly , yes .
I bought it new. After I get the light assembly out, I'll know a bit more. Agree - it will not be covered by the Lexus rust warranty because there is no perforation.
Old 10-30-18, 07:13 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RealWing
I bought it new. After I get the light assembly out, I'll know a bit more. Agree - it will not be covered by the Lexus rust warranty because there is no perforation.
Wow!! New, huh? I would let the dealer take out the assembly and allow you to inspect. You must be still under new car warranty and i would treat this as any other defect. I think I'd be calling corporate on this one. Not that the dealer can't take care of it but I'd want to get to the bottom of this. If it got retouched in the factory there will be a paper trail but i can't see that type of work coming out of the plant . Brand new or demo/loaner purchase?
Old 10-30-18, 09:21 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
Wow!! New, huh? I would let the dealer take out the assembly and allow you to inspect. You must be still under new car warranty and i would treat this as any other defect. I think I'd be calling corporate on this one. Not that the dealer can't take care of it but I'd want to get to the bottom of this. If it got retouched in the factory there will be a paper trail but i can't see that type of work coming out of the plant . Brand new or demo/loaner purchase?
Brand new. I will be contacting the dealer.
Old 10-30-18, 09:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Something fishy going on with this issue. Rust perforation warranty is quite extensive. Lexus should give you the attention you need. Sounding strange that Lexus is not treating you appropriately.
Old 11-03-18, 06:31 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

I’m sorry you’re experiencing this problem as well. In my case I have ‘11 RX and I had rust coming from both tail light assemblies, the handle for the tailgate and rust stain on all of the other door handles.
My dealership stuck to there guns that is wasn’t perforated, my basic warranty expired and my extended warranty did not cover this issue. I involved Lexus Canada and after 3 months of phone calls, emails and dealership visits for inspections they fixed the issues. The dealership had my RX for a week. I paid $400 for this work to be done and the rest was covered by Lexus.
patience will be your friend
Old 11-03-18, 06:45 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by diverchris
I’m sorry you’re experiencing this problem as well. In my case I have ‘11 RX and I had rust coming from both tail light assemblies, the handle for the tailgate and rust stain on all of the other door handles.
My dealership stuck to there guns that is wasn’t perforated, my basic warranty expired and my extended warranty did not cover this issue. I involved Lexus Canada and after 3 months of phone calls, emails and dealership visits for inspections they fixed the issues. The dealership had my RX for a week. I paid $400 for this work to be done and the rest was covered by Lexus.
patience will be your friend
thanks for the info
jim
Old 12-01-18, 06:17 AM
SilverRX30
Driver

Realwing,
What ever happened to the rust issue you had? Curious to find out.
Old 12-01-18, 09:29 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Waiting for final decision from my dealer. I’m within the 4 year warranty but over on mileage. Preliminary discussions seem to indicate it will be covered

Quick Reply: Rust on my Lexus!!!