RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Got Into an Accident and fell into a Tow Truck Scam

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 11:03 PM
RKNG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Into an Accident and fell into a Tow Truck Scam

All fellow members, please beware as this could happen to you. These so-called Bandit Tow Truck Scam uses the same pattern and scam scheme nation wide. Avoid them at all cost. DO NOT let any tow truck (except gov issued such as CALTRAN) to performance any service on your car. Call and use your own tow truck service.

8/7/17
My wife along with my 7 years old boy got into an accident in the 10 FWY near the 605 FWY (Los Angeles, CA), destroying the whole front end of the RX 350. A tow truck service came by stating he is from the Lexus Road Side assistance and works along with the insurance. She allows him to tow the damage car but demanded him to tow to the nearby Lexus Dealership (Longo Lexus within 2 miles). He persuaded her to the Pasadena Lexus dealership instead which it was about less than 6 miles away. As they arrive, it turns out it is NOT a Lexus dealership but a Auto body Shop. Since it is late evening, all the offices were closed and my wife did not sign any release form (thanks god).

8/8/17
I researched on Yelp and found out this Auto Body Shop is actually running a scam along with the towing truck company. In short, they demand a cash payment of $800 before they can release the car. I emphasized that my wife did not sign any release form, on top on it, she was brought here by false pretends. I told them about the scam that they are running and I demand the key and the car release otherwise, I would have to get the police involve. They gave in and handed me the key. As I process to pickup the car, the gate keeper would not allow us to pickup the car. To my surprise, he locked us inside the gated compound. While trying to calm my panic wife and my 2 boys, I was trying to reason with them stating they have no right to hold us hostage. I threaten to sue them for false imprisonment. I finally called 911 and the dispatcher was patient and attentive. She listened to my whole story and make sure that me and my family got out of this situation unharmed. I wish I can say the same about the polices that came later. In the end, this Auto Body Shop finally unlock the gate. An employee from the Auto Body Shop came out to the storage and tried to resolve the situation, stating the front office girl is new and he is willing to waved all fees.

In conclusion, DO NOT let any tow truck perform any service on your car when you did not request it.

P.S. I am not familiar with the ClubLexus Forum rule, so I have purposely leave out the names that are involve in this scam. But the full detail is in my facebook post. Please share this with your friends and love one, avoid these scammers at all cost.

This is my facebook detail post. I'm trying to get the words out on these so-called Bandit Tow Truck.
Detail Post:
Facebook Post

Detail links from the National Insurance Crime Bureau
https://www.nicb.org/newsroom/news-r...ow-truck-scams

Attention Administrator: Due to the severity of this incident, I urge you to allows me to keep the links interact so other fellow members can read the incident in detail and avoid these type of scam in the future. Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails Got Into an Accident and fell into a Tow Truck Scam-imag1923.jpg   Got Into an Accident and fell into a Tow Truck Scam-locked_gate.jpg   Got Into an Accident and fell into a Tow Truck Scam-unnamed.jpg