CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Tustin Lexus Service Dept crashed my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 10:57 AM
HKBruin
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tustin Lexus Service Dept crashed my car

I dropped off my 2015 IS at Tustin Lexus Service Dept due to AC not working (warranty repair) back on October 12, 2017. Received a call later on from their Shop Foreman saying my car was in an accident. Why? Their technician test drove my vehicle and rear-ended someone. My car was in a shop for months getting the repair done; their insurance approval process was very slow.

I went to Tustin Police Dept and retrieved their traffic collision report; a witness said in a statement: "A white Lexus (my car) was on Tustin Ranch Road speeding in excess of 70 mph and cut in front of her".
I have a copy as proof.

After multiple demands, they still decided not to do anything to compensate me due to diminished value from this incident. I am chasing their insurance right now

Think twice guys before you want to have your car service over there. I learned my lesson the hard way.
Old 03-05-18, 11:34 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation. Depending on how far you want to pursue this, consult with an attorney and find out what your options are.

Last edited by projectdna; 03-05-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 11:44 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That sucks! May want to consult with an attorney. Brings back memories of the crashed M5 by a Texas BMW dealer, that instance went to trial.
Old 03-05-18, 01:15 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Might want to report this incident to corporate as well. They should come down with an iron fist and to make sure all technicians are properly trained to follow guidelines.
Old 03-05-18, 01:21 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Might want to report this incident to corporate as well. They should come down with an iron fist and to make sure all technicians are properly trained to follow guidelines.
I did file a complaint to Corporate but they declined to take further action. They said cases like this is between me and the dealership; therefore, they won't get involved.
If someone knows a good lawyer who deals with cases like mine please share or PM me. I know it could be a money and time battle so I may not go with this route. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-05-18, 02:23 PM
T90
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HKBruin
I dropped off my 2015 IS at Tustin Lexus Service Dept due to AC not working (warranty repair) back on October 12, 2017. Received a call later on from their Shop Foreman saying my car was in an accident. Why? Their technician test drove my vehicle and rear-ended someone. My car was in a shop for months getting the repair done; their insurance approval process was very slow.

I went to Tustin Police Dept and retrieved their traffic collision report; a witness said in a statement: "A white Lexus (my car) was on Tustin Ranch Road speeding in excess of 70 mph and cut in front of her".
I have a copy as proof.

After multiple demands, they still decided not to do anything to compensate me due to diminished value from this incident. I am chasing their insurance right now

Think twice guys before you want to have your car service over there. I learned my lesson the hard way.
Sorry to hear this
Is it necessary to test drive a vehicle for A/C service?
I’ve had A/C work done in the past on my other vehicles and no one ever needed to take it out for a test drive.
Old 03-05-18, 02:42 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Originally Posted by T90
Sorry to hear this
Is it necessary to test drive a vehicle for A/C service?
I’ve had A/C work done in the past on my other vehicles and no one ever needed to take it out for a test drive.
Exactly. If you are telling me they were not taking my car for a joy ride I don't know what else could explain.......
Old 03-05-18, 08:29 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

I did file a complaint to Corporate but they declined to take further action. They said cases like this is between me and the dealership; therefore, they won't get involved.
If someone knows a good lawyer who deals with cases like mine please share or PM me. I know it could be a money and time battle so I may not go with this route. Thank you in advance.
Sucks to hear that...

I remember reading about this incident last year: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...442719873.html
If you want to go down the publicity route, you can always make noise via FB and/or twitter, tagging corporate, the dealership, and local news outlets. Companies HATE bad PR and will try to resolve this as quickly and quietly as possible.
The following users liked this post:
nigelsan (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 11:43 AM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry that this happened to you. It's really disappointing to hear that a reputable dealership isn't compensating you in a timely manner. You should hire a lawyer immediately, and like others are saying post complaints on their Facebook page. Makes me reconsider taking my car to Tustin.
Old 03-07-18, 12:32 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

To the OP, here's something you should read up on regarding "diminished value". While the web article isn't definitive, the point is, it won't be easy to get the dealership (and/or its insurance) to compensate you for "diminished value" due to the dealership's negligence while your vehicle was in the dealership's possession. Look at it this way: you'd have to prove that the diminished value and any legitimate financial burden/hardship you experienced due to the dealership's negligence are significant enough to want to pursue some type of legal action against the dealership. Regardless, you should still consult an attorney; you never know if he/she thinks your case is worth enough.

You could take it to social media and cause a ruckus, but it's a YMMV kind of thing. Just know that you're putting yourself out there just as much as the dealership is getting called out for.

All the best. Keep us informed.
The following users liked this post:
HKBruin (03-07-18)
Old 03-12-18, 02:00 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I believe this is a matter of insurance, unless the technician is a contractor employed by the dealership (highly unlikely). If latter, then you can sue for vicarious liability. If not, it is just a matter of insurance and your case of "diminished value" will be a difficult one to prove (see post above).

Entrust your vehicle to places that you really trust people! Dealerships
Old 05-12-18, 04:23 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly. If you are telling me they were not taking my car for a joy ride I don't know what else could explain.......
update please, hope resolved to your satisfaction....
Old 05-14-18, 07:05 AM
HKBruin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Prasha
update please, hope resolved to your satisfaction....
The dealership insurance only fixed my car; they gave me a loaner during my down time; nothing else was done to compensate me.
I contacted the delaler business manager multiple times; she said they are not going to do anything about it except fixing it.
She warned me they will fight for my diminished value claim or any small claims court if I file. I am still debating at this moment.
So guys be warned if you still plan to have them service your cars.
Old 05-18-18, 12:30 AM
2jzdc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealership insurance only fixed my car; they gave me a loaner during my down time; nothing else was done to compensate me.
I contacted the delaler business manager multiple times; she said they are not going to do anything about it except fixing it.
She warned me they will fight for my diminished value claim or any small claims court if I file. I am still debating at this moment.
So guys be warned if you still plan to have them service your cars.
Personally, I would fight for it.
Old 06-22-18, 10:40 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

very unfortunate! I live in Tustin and frequently drive through the dealerships on my way to the freeway and the District shopping center.
some dealers (probably not lexus but who knows) park their overstock in a dirt lot about 2 miles down Tustin ranch rd.
I see lackeys drive erratically all the time after retrieving BRAND NEW cars from those lots (window stickers, protective covers, etc still intact)...so I'm not surprise to here this!

I would certainly hire a lawyer and see my options.

Quick Reply: Tustin Lexus Service Dept crashed my car