RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Low or high beam dummy headlight question

Old 04-08-17, 04:33 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Low or high beam dummy headlight question

hI all.
Haven't been here for awhile. How you all doing? I still have a quick dummy question:
Low and high beam using the same bulb? One of my headlight was out and and bought a cheap $7 bulb from ebay. Now my Low beam is ok for everyday drive but when I pull the clutch for "high" beam I just got a flick of lights and the high beam actually darker light and can't see anything.

Can you guys post some link that i can buy normal high beam light or LED or kit.... so my high beam light will be " brighter " normally ?
Thanks
Old 04-08-17, 04:40 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Did you order the right replacement bulb? And was it seated right?

Hight beam bulb light beam pattern is different and it is projected further out. Comparing the intensity is pretty deceiving as in appearance the high beams are closer to the eye level.

I am not a fan of after market stuff. I would say first get your stock thing to function right.

I am not trying to be rude but I think 'stalk' is the right term for 'clutch' in your post.

Salim
Old 04-18-17, 04:41 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Did you order the right replacement bulb? And was it seated right?

Hight beam bulb light beam pattern is different and it is projected further out. Comparing the intensity is pretty deceiving as in appearance the high beams are closer to the eye level.

I am not a fan of after market stuff. I would say first get your stock thing to function right.

I am not trying to be rude but I think 'stalk' is the right term for 'clutch' in your post.

Salim
Do you have any link to buy the stock bulbs or even after market ver that "projected further out"?
Old 04-18-17, 08:58 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Projection is due to the reflector and attitude (position - level/tilted_down/up) and adjustment. Simple things as inflation of tires and loading of the vehicle can make a difference and even driving on a non-flat road can change the place the light is spotted (brightest spot out in the front).

HIDs have a built in level adjusting mechanism.

The adjustment of the spot is best left to be done by shop with the right equipment, [There is a safety issue for oncoming traffic]. Once you mess with the adjustment, it can end up as perpetually dissatisfied situation.So I would advise letting a person with the right instrumentation do it.

Changing the bulb itself only impacts the brightness of the spot and surroundings. If you have halogens then look for ultra-bright bulbs. Sylvania is one such manufacturer. What ever you buy make sure you give them the bulb type.

When you get super deals on your purchase, be aware that there may be a problem and you could be buying a substandard product. Also you have left and the right bulbs. You can swap them and see if the problem moves withe the bulbs.

If you are for that matter any other member is basically a motorist then I highly recommend that you purchase the replacement from Lexus parts (in person or over the net). You will spend a few $$ more, but will get quality product.

I have witnessed a parts sales person getting drenched in rain as he installed wipers on an elderly couple's vehicle at Lexus of Austin. They often go an extra mile for you.

Salim