RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Warranty Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 07:11 PM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty Issues

Does skipping a mileage service @ your dealer void the Factory Warranty in any way?
Old 04-02-17, 08:19 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Representative of the manufacturer is the dealer. So what we in Club Lexus say is just our opinion. You should really ask the question to the dealer [Hint: You can keep asking different dealerships till they give you the answer you like].

Essentially the warranty is the promise by the manufacturer that their product will live unto certain standards. The condition being the owner will do due diligence in upkeep and will not abuse the product. [maintenance and no racing]. If a defect is found then the manufacturer has the right to refuse based on negligence and abuse. The manufacturer has to determine a correlation.
e.g.: Owner did not perform oil change as specified or used oil of wrong specifications. If your AC goes out, then it would be most likely covered as it has nothing to do with lack of engine oil change. If your engine ceases then it may not be covered as it was neglect on the part of the owner.

Remember the dealer talks to the manufacturer and the dealer can plead for your case and even if it is your neglect they can make it work for you. In case there is a disagreement, the owner can call up Lexus of USA and plead directly.

Salim
Old 04-04-17, 09:57 AM
budwom
Advanced

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by chazman6
Does skipping a mileage service @ your dealer void the Factory Warranty in any way?
The question you seem to be asking (I can't really tell) is if you MUST have the dealer perform your service as opposed to just some local repair shop, and the answer to that is no.
If you get your oil changed some entity other than the dealer (and others services) that's perfectly OK. Same with other services. But if you skip an oil change altogether, your warranty will be jeopardized
Old 04-04-17, 12:20 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Then the service must be documented/logged [lubricant meeting or exceeding the specifications] etc comes into play. Getting into fine points, one can have an issue with the competency/certification of the mechanic in charge etc.

Salim
Old 04-05-17, 12:46 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by chazman6
I assume you primarily mean the 5,000 mile services that don't require an oil change. I think they would be hard-pressed to deny your coverage on one of these. I lease and occassionally miss these, (not a big believer in having the tires rotated every 5,000 miles) but never would miss the 10,000 mile oil change.
Old 04-05-17, 08:19 PM
tincan13
Driver

just make sure you perform the required maintenance with the recommended parts and lubricants. keep all your receipts for any service performed on your car at any garage / oil change center.
Old 04-06-17, 11:05 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Short answer is - no. I have never done an "x-miles" service at a dealer for any vehicle I owned and never had warranty questioned.
Our RX450h had been in for hybrid malfunction repair, which was all taken care of, no questions asked, even though the only maintenance dealer did to it was the first complimentary oil change.
Nice thing about Toyota, you can use any oil brand you like, as long as it meets viscosity specifications (0W20). And even the nicer thing - it is not likely you will need to use the warranty.

My Audi has a very specific VW list of approved oils, which greatly narrows options for the 5W40 oil grade I prefer.
Although this is not something I do in a Lexus, I take pictures of oil and filter receipts each time I do oil change on the Audi.
Old 04-06-17, 11:26 AM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to ALL for your experience/opinions on my Question issue.. Actually I'm at 44 months/33K mileage and did not feel any of the Service listed @42 months would have been necessary other than the tire rotation, which had already been performed.
Old 04-06-17, 07:23 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Short answer is - no. I have never done an "x-miles" service at a dealer for any vehicle I owned and never had warranty questioned.
Our RX450h had been in for hybrid malfunction repair, which was all taken care of, no questions asked, even though the only maintenance dealer did to it was the first complimentary oil change.
Nice thing about Toyota, you can use any oil brand you like, as long as it meets viscosity specifications (0W20). And even the nicer thing - it is not likely you will need to use the warranty.

My Audi has a very specific VW list of approved oils, which greatly narrows options for the 5W40 oil grade I prefer.
Although this is not something I do in a Lexus, I take pictures of oil and filter receipts each time I do oil change on the Audi.
vlad_a: Your hybrid malfunction had nothing to do with following or not following regular maintenance. It is like the example of AC failing that I cited. Had the issue been related to engine lack of oil/filter change, most likely Lexus would have asked for proof.

Salim