RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Accident, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 11:38 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

If PROPERLY repaired​ and with lifetime warranty for you, the original owner (usually not transferable), then I would just keep it for a while until such a time that whatever diminished value does not make much a difference.

I decided to keep my CT200h after a PROPER repair for a few more years, especially gas is going up now....

Originally Posted by ross072566
It drives great and runs great. But, thinking about selling. Under 17,000 miles on it. Thoughts on an asking price?
Old 05-07-17, 01:00 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
If PROPERLY repaired​ and with lifetime warranty for you, the original owner (usually not transferable), then I would just keep it for a while until such a time that whatever diminished value does not make much a difference.

I decided to keep my CT200h after a PROPER repair for a few more years, especially gas is going up now....

That would be the wise choice. At some point, probably when it is 6-8 years old, the impact of the accident on the selling price will be negligible.
Old 05-07-17, 05:54 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, that is the idea.

So far, the repair on my CT200h is top notch. No problems.

Originally Posted by 11bravo
That would be the wise choice. At some point, probably when it is 6-8 years old, the impact of the accident on the selling price will be negligible.
Old 05-09-17, 07:22 AM
ross072566
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talked to wife. Gonna keep it.
Old 02-15-18, 08:31 AM
ross072566
Rookie

Well we are now thinking of selling. Don’t even have 21000 miles on her yet. Any comments on what would be a good asking price?
Old 02-15-18, 10:09 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,199 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Depends if selling to a private party or a dealer. If a dealer you just shop it around to a few of them, including Car Max if nearby as they give fair written quotes that are good for a week and can be used for leverage negotiating with the dealers that have the new car you want to buy.

If selling privately I would check KBB and Edmunds for typical pricing in your area and also www.cars.com to see what similar ones are selling for at dealers.

Given your accident history and that it will be on CarFax, I would just trade it in. Were you able to collect on a diminished value claim even though it was an uninsured motorist event?

Last edited by Clutchless; 02-15-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-15-18, 01:48 PM
ross072566
Rookie

I was not able to collect on a diminished value claim. I live in Ohio and I can’t remember if living here affects that. And now that I think about it she stated that should be in my insurance policy if I wanted to turn in a claim.
Old 02-15-18, 01:56 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I just picked up $1300 for diminished value with my recent incident where a local tire shop damaged our 2010 RXh. I still want to sell, but the wife wants to keep it for now. I'm going to compromise with her and wait until the fall to check out a potential '14 Q5 TDI as a replacement.
Old 02-15-18, 02:09 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

I quickly looked it up and pasted it below, it appears in Ohio you can still collect for diminished value in your situation. Diminished value claims are state law, it would not be in your policy. The insurance company does not want to pay you and will not volunteer anything as they hate diminished value claims and do not want to pay them. You have to tell them you know the state law and are making a diminished value claim. This should be in writing and a phone call. You have time to make this claim. Do it before you sell the car. You may want a lawyer to write the letter for you to get their attention.

I also collected on a diminished value claim after our HS250h was rear ended and then hit the car in front.

Ohio is a diminished value state, which means you may be entitled to the diminished value of your vehicle after an auto accident. The statute of limitation on diminished value claims in Ohio is 2 years, and Ohio does have uninsured motorist coverage for diminished value.

https://ohiodiminishedvalue.com/5-th...-value-claims/

https://mckenzie-snyder.com/diminished-value/

https://www.collisionclaims.com/ohio-diminished-value/ You should at least contact these folks about it.

Last edited by Clutchless; 02-15-18 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 07:30 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,103 Likes on 992 Posts

It can become quite complicated.

The liability part from the person who is at fault may wiggle out after covering the repairs ... usually it is limited to customary charge. If a premium repair is pursued, expect a range of aggravation depending on which insurance company you deal with. I am 80% sure that they will tell you to pursue diminish value with your insurance company.

For deminished value due to accident, you may have to deal with your insurance company.

My experience is that you carry a comprehensive insurance with a good insurance company and strictly deal with your insurance company. Let your insurance company deal with the other insurance company for all losses.

F250: Your case is a bit unique as you were dealing with an insurance of the business and not auto. Here the owner of the establishment was looking out for your interest.

Salim
Old 02-16-18, 03:46 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

In Ross' case which involves an uninsured motorist claim with his own insurance company, he certainly has to deal with them. They have already attempted to dodge paying on such a claim by lying to him and stating that diminished value claims were not in his policy, thus taking advantage of his ignorance of the state law. That alone should qualify for reporting them to the state insurance commissioner. You really have to be proactive and assertive with these claims as state legislatures passed these laws over the huge objections of the insurance companies. However he is lucky that Ohio allows such claims in uninsured motorist cases.

In a typical at fault accident such as the one my wife was in, I negotiated with the company of the guy who hit our car. I got advice from a friend who had already gone through this experience and then looked up the Virginia code section. After the repairs were done I told the at fault drivers insurance claim adjuster by email that I was making a diminished value claim. A few days later they told me it was assigned to someone who would contact me later in the week. I got a call a couple days later and was offered $2,900.00 which was more money than I had calculated for such a claim, so I accepted their offer. You can use various sources on the internet to figure out the range value of your claim, or just pay a couple hundred dollars to a company such as Collision Claims to do the work for you and work with the insurance company. For many people that would be the best option.
Old 10-21-18, 05:54 PM
ross072566
Rookie

Default I can’t win for losing. Hit a deer Friday.

Old 10-22-18, 04:17 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The important thing is you and your passengers (if any) are OK. Cars can be repaired or just get another one.

I would get multiple estimates at reputable body shops and see. At first glance it does not look "that bad", assuming no airbags had deployed.

Maybe around $11K (with OEM parts) at a reputable body shop??? HID headlights are higher. HID bulb on the undamaged side may need to be replaced too due to degradation over time. The new one may not match up color wise with the old one????

In most states if you hit a "MOVING" animal, then the insurance can not mark it as your fault and raise or cancel your policy. But you are still responsible for whatever deductible though.

Also in most states, the insurance company CAN NOT MAKE YOU GO TO ANY SPECIFIC BODY SHOP. You are FREE to go to ANY BODY SHOPS YOU SO DESIRE. The insurance company MAY try to "steer" you by telling you that a particular body shop is the "preferred body shop" due to discount offers and you MUST go there. Totally illegal in most states.

Originally Posted by ross072566

Last edited by lexusrus; 10-22-18 at 04:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ross072566 (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 09:29 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

look at the bright side. so long as your frame is good and the suspension is good, you are getting a brand new paint job on the front end and possibly the hood also.....
The following users liked this post:
ross072566 (10-22-18)
Old 12-10-18, 05:03 PM
ross072566
Rookie

Update. I finally got the Lexus back today. I’m very pleased with the work my guy does. He had a hard time getting them to order the correct headlight. Geez. Very well done if I may say so!

Quick Reply: Accident, now what?