RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Accident, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 04:19 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to here about your hit and run. Hopefully it will be fixed as good as new. Probably the situation I fear the most with our RX350, that someone hits us and takes off because they don't care to be responsible. The other interesting part of this thread was the insurance coverage and the OEM vs. Aftermarket parts issue. We have been paying $57 per year extra for a rider for OEM parts for repairs. I hope this resolves any issue with our insurance company should the need arise for a wreck repair.
Old 03-26-17, 03:38 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

That's a major issue here in Florida where the likelihood of being hit (and run) by an un-everything'd driver - or clobbered in a parking lot by some old deaf and nearly blind person who parks by ear.
Old 03-27-17, 04:26 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I wonder if after X years will the insurance still pay OEM parts (even if you continue to pay that extra $57 per year premium?

Originally Posted by RXRunner
Sorry to here about your hit and run. Hopefully it will be fixed as good as new. Probably the situation I fear the most with our RX350, that someone hits us and takes off because they don't care to be responsible. The other interesting part of this thread was the insurance coverage and the OEM vs. Aftermarket parts issue. We have been paying $57 per year extra for a rider for OEM parts for repairs. I hope this resolves any issue with our insurance company should the need arise for a wreck repair.
Old 03-28-17, 08:55 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I wonder if after X years will the insurance still pay OEM parts (even if you continue to pay that extra $57 per year premium?
I expect it will vary from company to company. When my son hit someone with his '99 4Runner last June, Geico still offered to use whatever OEM parts were available, but that actually pushed the repair cost into a "total" scenario. My son opted to get the repairs done at lower cost (used parts and one or two very, very minor and "not noticeable" issues left unattended to). So, Geico allowed the body shop to do the work with used OEM parts (junkyard) and then spray to match the color to get the total repair cost under the "total" value. The unattended to repairs were all hidden within the inner space of the front right quarter panel and the engine bay liner around that right front tire, and did not involve any safety-related or structural issues at all.
Old 03-28-17, 10:14 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So after "X" years, the threshold will be reached where it may not be worthwhile to continue paying extra premiums for OEM coverage.

Originally Posted by F250
I expect it will vary from company to company. When my son hit someone with his '99 4Runner last June, Geico still offered to use whatever OEM parts were available, but that actually pushed the repair cost into a "total" scenario. My son opted to get the repairs done at lower cost (used parts and one or two very, very minor and "not noticeable" issues left unattended to). So, Geico allowed the body shop to do the work with used OEM parts (junkyard) and then spray to match the color to get the total repair cost under the "total" value. The unattended to repairs were all hidden within the inner space of the front right quarter panel and the engine bay liner around that right front tire, and did not involve any safety-related or structural issues at all.
Old 03-29-17, 06:40 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, but "X" will probably be different from company to company as well. The same principal applies when considering whether or not it's worth getting collision coverage on an older vehicle. It's all a matter of balancing the amount of risk you can financially afford (or are willing) to accommodate.
Old 03-30-17, 06:32 PM
ross072566
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should be getting the Lexus back tomorrow. I'll post pics when I can.
Old 04-01-17, 01:57 PM
ross072566
Rookie

Here are a few pics I took when I got home. I had just sprayed the tires so that is what you see on them. I think he did a pretty good job matching the paint up.

The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-12-20)
Old 04-01-17, 04:04 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Congratulations on finding a Craftsman of a repairman.

It looks great in the photographs; does it pass your close-up inspection?
Seabone726 (04-12-20)
Old 04-01-17, 05:27 PM
ross072566
Rookie

Yes it does. I'll take some inside of the door pics tomorrow. I think he did really well. I told him to take his time and do his best and I feel he did. I started home with it and the heated seats didn't work. I ran it back to him and he found they were unplugged. He apologized and apologized and said they should've been plugged in. I think he really does take pride in his work. I'm VERY pleased.
Seabone726 (04-12-20)
Old 04-01-17, 07:38 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

I always try to find a silver lining in every cloud - so perhaps now that "the worst" has happened - and your car served you well - you can now enjoy it for a long time knowing that if, Heaven forbid, something were to happen again at some time in the future, it can be 'made well' again.

So, take a deep breath, put that behind you, and enjoy!!!

I am happy for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by NateJG:
ross072566 (04-01-17), Seabone726 (04-12-20)
Old 04-02-17, 04:29 PM
ross072566
Rookie

There was a crease about half way up between the rear wheel and the roof. Should have been just above the gas lid between the rear hatch window and the rear window on the side. He got that out completely.

Here are some pics of it in the sunlight today. He told me that most of the money went into the airbags. Also a new front seat cover which was saddle tan leather was a $1000! The rear seat on the driver's side was replaced. He said it cost $3000! I was shocked by that price. I will say he was very picky about stuff. I remember looking at the seats to see if there was any damage. I must have not seen it after the wreck. Anyway, the Lexus smells like a brand new one now due to the seats being new. I am happy!

Last edited by ross072566; 04-02-17 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 02:18 PM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ross072566
There was a crease about half way up between the rear wheel and the roof. Should have been just above the gas lid between the rear hatch window and the rear window on the side. He got that out completely.

Here are some pics of it in the sunlight today. He told me that most of the money went into the airbags. Also a new front seat cover which was saddle tan leather was a $1000! The rear seat on the driver's side was replaced. He said it cost $3000! I was shocked by that price. I will say he was very picky about stuff. I remember looking at the seats to see if there was any damage. I must have not seen it after the wreck. Anyway, the Lexus smells like a brand new one now due to the seats being new. I am happy!
Man, that's great work. I had a few minor fender benders, and while my mechanic had great reviews and the major work was done well, the attention to detail was lacking. For example, after getting my front bumper replaced, my wiper fluid level warning light kept turning on. Then I had my rear bumper replaced. But the plastic trim by the rear door was crimped and not installed properly. Then we had to get the rear drivers side door replaced, and they scratched the tint on that window, so that had to be replaced.

Not saying your guy was bad based on the pics, it looks great, but be very meticulous in looking over the repair. The small details might have been missed.

Now, to my guys credit, he fixed all the issues.
Rear bumper replaced. The plastic trim was damaged.
Tint scratched
Rear drivers side plastic trim. They said it was tree sap. Whatever it was, I wanted it cleaned.
Old 05-06-17, 08:42 AM
ross072566
Rookie

It drives great and runs great. But, thinking about selling. Under 17,000 miles on it. Thoughts on an asking price?
Old 05-06-17, 09:18 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ross, I have watched this thread pretty closely, and checked again for the information, but I cannot find anywhere where you describe the year, exact model, options, etc. We can't answer your question if you don't give us the info.

As a base guide, do a search on KBB for your exact vehicle, and subtract about 20% for the accident involvement. You were told your vehicle would be worth far less, even after repaired. You may get lucky and find someone who does not care that it was involved in an accident, especially since it was properly repaired. Most people, however, will take the diminished value into account. I implored you early on to insist that your insurance company pursue losses for diminished value, or that you insist that they need to pay for that loss (which sometimes is not disallowed by language in the policy) if the POS that hit you did not have insurance.

I hope you can get a good price, but I believe you are now going to find out just how much "diminished value" you have suffered,and how difficult it is to sell a newer vehicle that has been in an accident. As an aside, if you try to sell the car without disclosing the accident, you may be found liable to the buyer, in the future, for compensatory damages.
ross072566 (05-06-17)

Quick Reply: Accident, now what?