RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Accident, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 01:42 PM
ross072566
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke to them and they said they would use OEM parts. So there's a plus. It just sucks that we paid $10,000 down on this and now I'm gonna have to drive a wrecked vehicle unless I decide to trade.
Old 02-02-17, 05:50 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to see this, but glad no one was hurt.. Now granted once the body shop starts taking things apart who knows what they will find. However, based on the photos the damage seems to be on the surface meaning I doubt there is any frame damage from being sideswiped as you were.

I respect how you feel right now in regards to never wanting to drive it again, I would probably feel the same. But once the initial shock wears off and the RX is repaired to look like new, you may feel different.

On another note, assuming the RX isn't totaled and repairs are done I'm pretty sure this accident will show up on a future CarFax. So check with your insurance company about filing a Diminished Value Claim. This would allow you to recover the difference between RX's pre-accident value and its value after repairs.

Good Luck..
Old 02-02-17, 12:23 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ross072566
I spoke to them and they said they would use OEM parts. So there's a plus. It just sucks that we paid $10,000 down on this and now I'm gonna have to drive a wrecked vehicle unless I decide to trade.
I can feel for you. Back in October of 2000 I bough a fully loaded '01 ZR2 Blazer only to have it get clobbered in less than a month. Original estimate was $14k to fix it. Actual cost came out to a little over $22k.

Make sure you take the thing to a shop that knows what they're doing. I'm lucky enough to have a good relationship with one that does full restorations. I've watched these guys pull hulks out of junk yards and fields and make everything right again. Thinking about it, I got rid of the thing when all the parts that they did not replace (hood, tailgate, and both doors) started to rust.

Looking at you're pictures the only thing I would really worry about is if they are going to fix or replace the doors themselves. The fenders are no problem, but trying to fix both the door and the frame it goes in and get everything to line up and open/close right is a royal PITA.
Old 02-03-17, 10:15 AM
RobertGift
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo on making the collision less serious!

Drunk drivers can drive miles after a collision.
Glad police found the vehicle. Hope the VIN leads to the owner and owner to the driver.
Old 02-03-17, 10:26 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tus
I can feel for you. Back in October of 2000 I bough a fully loaded '01 ZR2 Blazer only to have it get clobbered in less than a month. Original estimate was $14k to fix it. Actual cost came out to a little over $22k.

Make sure you take the thing to a shop that knows what they're doing. I'm lucky enough to have a good relationship with one that does full restorations. I've watched these guys pull hulks out of junk yards and fields and make everything right again. Thinking about it, I got rid of the thing when all the parts that they did not replace (hood, tailgate, and both doors) started to rust.

Looking at you're pictures the only thing I would really worry about is if they are going to fix or replace the doors themselves. The fenders are no problem, but trying to fix both the door and the frame it goes in and get everything to line up and open/close right is a royal PITA.
I agree.. When I first looked at the pics I figured that the body shop would just replaced the door skins.. But after looking again and enlarging the pics, hopefully they replace the entire door because I am pretty sure there is structural damage on the door frames.
Old 02-03-17, 10:33 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

I think they will replace the doors, probably with used ones and the rear bumper cover, probably with a used or refurbished one, then repair the quarter panels.
Old 02-03-17, 10:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

corrado had rear quarter panel and bumper damage on his RX F-Sport. He said the repair turned out fine. And I saw it in person. I couldn't tell. So there is hope.
Old 02-03-17, 03:50 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have noticed in my area most dealerships in my area don’t have body shops. But have ones they can recommend. I would call some of the high end dealerships and ask who they use. A lot of the good body shops are pretty high tech and can put something like this back like new.
Old 02-03-17, 08:27 PM
ross072566
Rookie

The state police called this evening and said they got the guy and that he confessed to it. Don't know if he had insurance. I doubt that he did. I'm going to the body shop in the morning and see what all they have found and can show me. I hope that the adjuster was thinking they didn't have to replace the doors and that's why the estimate was only $15,000. We'll see and I will update when I can.
Old 02-03-17, 09:06 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Stay patient and take it to the best and highest recommended shop you can for an estimate. Once they disassemble it there could be damage to the pillars or other key structural areas which might lead to it being totaled for safety concerns. If they have to repair it, they will have to prove it will be safe to drive after repairs. Either way, you'll be waiting a week or two anyhow so have it towed to the best shop who are Toyota/Lexus familiar, even if it's further.
Old 02-03-17, 10:05 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Sure, if I were you, I'd pick Lexus official body shop.
The following users liked this post:
RXgirl2015 (03-16-20)
Old 02-04-17, 08:33 AM
ross072566
Rookie

Went to the body shop. Said I'll need new doors, front fender and rear bumper cover. He said he could straighten the rear quarter. Said that we didn't want to get into cutting the quarter and putting another piece back on. He said it would be great if we could find used doors and I said no. Also new headliner because of the airbags being deployed.

Also so found out who hit me. Said the guy came in and confessed and they charged him with "hit and skip and reckless operation". Do not know if he had insurance until I speak with the state trooper. The dispatch office is who I spoke with. They did not arrest the guy. I'm surprised by that also.

I spoke with with my insurance and they said I have an "amendment" on my policy that states I am not able to make a diminished value claim. I didn't even know about this until I heard about it on here. Just my luck.

My wife is furious that we will be paying for a wrecked vehicle now and out the money of what it would be worth if it wasn't involved in an accident. Needless to say I am too!
Old 02-04-17, 08:58 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Up here in our province, if uninsured vehicle hits your vehicle government funded compensation money will be used to cover the
damage. Any way it is not easy driving without insurance. When plate renewal time they won't renew it without insurance or if there is unpaid ticket.
Old 02-04-17, 11:39 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess it's too late to suggest that you only use a Lexus dealer's body shop. If it's not a Lexus body shop, insist with the shop and the insurance that you will not accept any part except Lexus parts.

Good news is that you're not physically injured.
Old 02-04-17, 01:01 PM
ross072566
Rookie

It isn't. I've seen this guy's work. This guy has race cars and I'm talking 100's of thousands of dollars involved that he also works on. He also is a restaurant owner and his wife takes care of those. And yes he has already said that he is going to use OEM parts. He recently shipped a race car he built and painted to Australia. My neighbor, an older gentleman that has a classic car, uses him also. I have a lot of confidence in my neighbor and the body shop guy. He said it would be about 3 weeks before I get it back. So, I think he will do a good job. I'll post pics when he's done.

Quick Reply: Accident, now what?