RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New RX Owner - Maintenance Options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 10:17 PM
boorah623
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RX Owner - Maintenance Options?

Hey Guys,

New to the forum here and new to Lexus. I got my 2013 RX350 AWD a few months back and I'm now trying to figure out the best and most economical way to maintain the vehicle. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't really find the thread.

I believe the car is still under the 48 month, 50k warranty (only 31k miles so far) so part of me feels like I should develop a relationship with the dealer. However, after checking out their prices for the recommended service, I am experiencing some sticker shock. The 30k mile service is a steep "bargain" at $600. The really meaty parts seem to be only an oil change, wheel balancing and tire rotation. There's a lot of "inspection" items and fluid refills, which I guess would be nice to have done. There's also some drive shaft re-torquing? How much of this is really necessary? I've put together this little chart to see what's all done at the upcoming intervals. I'm thinking of maybe just doing the 30k first since I just bought the car, and then do the rest myself or at an independent place.

Anyways, the main question is: what do folks here typically do? Are you mostly going to the dealer and getting these services so that there's a relationship there in case any warranty issues? Are you doing the oil and air filter changes yourselves? If so, what about the wheel balancing, re-torquing and stuff that you can't do at home? Are you going to independent places? I've also heard of some people taking the Lexus to a Toyota shop.

I've never owned a car this new, so I'm wondering what I should do. Any advice appreciated.
Old 10-04-16, 03:48 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

I never go in a say I want the 10,000, 30,000 or 50,000 mile service. Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus/Toyota dealership. This should be less than $80. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in an ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor for the oil and $20 for the tire rotation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
nsnqst (10-05-20), RX10 (10-05-20)
Old 10-04-16, 05:45 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats on the RX and welcome to CL..

I handle service similar to how Freds430 does, I also never go into the dealer and tell them to perform the XX,XXX mile service.. I just ask for an oil change and tire rotation.

When it's time for other fluids to be changed I ask for the specific fluid to be changed. I also replace my own filters, wiper blades etc simply because IMO the dealer markup on these items is ridiculous..
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-05-20)
Old 10-04-16, 06:21 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I agree with the above recommendations. Any independent shop can do all these services for much less than a Lexus dealer. After all you are subsidizing the "free" donuts and big screen TV in the lounge. Any shop can torque the drive shafts, which only takes 5 minutes. It should not cost very much. I think the torque is 80 foot pounds but will check. I did mine once and nothing was loose. The brake fluid should be changed every couple years as it does absorb water which can lead to corrosion of some very expensive brake control components.

Finally, if you plan to keep it a long long time, get the transmission fluid changed or exchanged/flushed at around 50,000 miles. Dealers are really your only option for this due to the lack of a dipstick and the complicated Toyota-Lexus method to calculate fluid level. Dealers will charge between $250 and $320 to do this service.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clutchless:
nsnqst (10-05-20), RX10 (10-05-20)
Old 10-04-16, 04:34 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Since you did not buy the car new at that dealer, he is not going to have any kind of "relationship" with you, other than to take as much money as he can from you. Use the dealer for warranted problems/issues, and use a top-notch indie for everything else.

You are going to enjoy your Lexus very much.
Old 10-04-16, 07:45 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless

Finally, if you plan to keep it a long long time, get the transmission fluid changed or exchanged/flushed at around 50,000 miles. Dealers are really your only option for this due to the lack of a dipstick and the complicated Toyota-Lexus method to calculate fluid level. Dealers will charge between $250 and $320 to do this service.
can you please elaborate on this point? Don't you do this like the change of the fluids for rear differential? You know there's a drain hole and there's a fill hole Don't you just fill it up until the fluids come to an even level with the fill hole?
Old 10-05-16, 05:52 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bravo
Since you did not buy the car new at that dealer, he is not going to have any kind of "relationship" with you, other than to take as much money as he can from you. Use the dealer for warranted problems/issues, and use a top-notch indie for everything else.

You are going to enjoy your Lexus very much.
I understand what you're saying, and yeah some dealers treat you different if you didn't purchase from them. But If the service dept is a good one they shouldn't care where you bought the car. I say this because it brings in more money for the service dept, and by treating you good and fair there is a very good chance that you will purchase your next vehicle from them.

In my experience you can build a good relationship with the service department of a dealer that didn't sell you the car. I have a great relationship with my SA at my Cadillac dealer even though I bought my CTS-V new from a dealer in VA, and drove it 250 miles back to NY. I have his cell # and we even communicate after hours if need be. I do understand that this may be a rare case but it is possible.

I also started servicing out RX at a dealer that I didn't purchase it from. My selling dealer has a terrible service dept so I went to a dealer that I purchased two Lexus's from in the past. It's been at least 5 years since the last time I was there and I didn't recognize any of the SA's, but I was lucky enough to get a great SA who I have already built a rapport with in a short time. My next Lexus will definitely be purchased from them.
Old 10-05-16, 07:31 AM
Clutchless

The automatic transmission on this vehicle should never be filled up like a differential (to the fill hole overflows) as it will be WAY OVERFILLED. Lexus/Toyota have a very specific and complicated temperature dependent method using an overflow tube to determine the fluid level which has been discussed in several threads which you can search for as I am not inclined to divert this thread and go over it again. However, the differential and transfer case can both be drained and filled up to the fill hole when you change the fluid.
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-16, 07:37 AM
Clutchless

boorah623 if you are in Northern Virginia outside DC, that appears to be the Lindsay Lexus service schedule based on pricing. They also have discount coupons online and send mailings. I have only gone there for warranty work and do the rest myself or at one of a few independent mechanics I like. PM me if you want any names.
Old 10-05-16, 03:47 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

The automatic transmission on this vehicle should never be filled up like a differential (to the fill hole overflows) as it will be WAY OVERFILLED. Lexus/Toyota have a very specific and complicated temperature dependent method using an overflow tube to determine the fluid level which has been discussed in several threads which you can search for as I am not inclined to divert this thread and go over it again. However, the differential and transfer case can both be drained and filled up to the fill hole when you change the fluid.
Just to close the loop on this issue, I made a call to my mechanic who confirmed that filling up to the fill hole opening would be vastly OVERFILLING the pan. So I concur with Clutchless' remark above.
Old 10-12-16, 02:24 PM
boorah623
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've recently started doing a lot of DIY on my other car (Acura TL) so I have decided to try to do most of this stuff on the Lexus myself

The air filters should be pretty simple.

I already started buying supplies for an oil change and I've seen some YouTube videos (Froggy) and this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html. Seems pretty manageable.

I think I'll try the brake fluid flush too. I'm going to do that on the Acura first. I assume Lexus wouldn't be all that different?

The wheel stuff I guess I'll take in to a shop or dealer.

boorah623 if you are in Northern Virginia outside DC, that appears to be the Lindsay Lexus service schedule based on pricing. They also have discount coupons online and send mailings. I have only gone there for warranty work and do the rest myself or at one of a few independent mechanics I like. PM me if you want any names.
Yes, I am in the NOVA area and yes, good eye, I took it all from their website. I will PM you regarding your experience.
Old 10-12-16, 02:42 PM
Clutchless

The Toyota Highlander is mostly a mechanical twin of the RX 350 and a lot of maintenance do it yourself tips can be found there.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ion-2008-2013/ Look at the first thread batch for the DIY section.
Old 10-13-16, 07:53 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Ripoff

That is a lot of nothing for $600. Have them do the oil change and brake fluid flush. You can top off all other fluids and "inspect" all those other things.

For some reason Toyota/Lexus is paranoid about drive shaft (prop shaft) bolts coming loose. They want these re-torqued at every service. A friend used to be a Lexus tech and I asked him about this. He said never once did he re-torque these bolts.

Last edited by kgbagent1; 10-13-16 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-16, 10:25 AM
Clutchless

I did it once at about 30,000 miles and my torque wrench just clicked and none of the driveshaft bolts moved at all. I may check again next year.
Old 10-13-16, 03:19 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Absurd. DIY the little stuff and take it in for specific jobs you can't do.

Quick Reply: New RX Owner - Maintenance Options?