RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to Replace engine coolant (Super Long Life)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 03:11 AM
Spartan09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Replace engine coolant (Super Long Life)?

Anyone Replaced engine coolant here? If so, where are the drain plugs locations on AWD?
If it was discussed here before, please share a link with DIY. Thank you
Old 06-20-16, 06:16 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I did mine but only drained the radiator and filled it back up with Toyota Long Life Coolant. I figured after 4 years but only 40,000 miles that was good enough for a coolant that is supposed to last 10 years. I will do it again at 70,000 or 4 more years.
The Highlander has basically the same engine, although it has different under cladding etc to access stuff.
I am not sure if anyone here has posted how to do this, most members just pay for maintenance.
The procedure from the Toyota Nation forum should help you, if not, do try to use the search feature here, it works really well.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...placement.html
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (02-25-18)
Old 06-20-16, 08:44 AM
Spartan09
Driver School Candidate

thanks for reply
Old 10-13-16, 11:30 AM
DHeal
Driver School Candidate

I have @ 57,000 miles on my 2012 RX 350. I have this urge to give my engine coolant a bit of a "pep-me-up" by draining just the radiator and then refilling it with some fresh Lexus/Toyota OEM coolant. Is this as simple as removing lower plastic access panel(s), opening the radiator's lower drain petcock, removing the radiator's main fill cap, and then refilling the drained coolant with fresh coolant? Would any burping or other steps be required as part of this relatively simple task? About how much coolant would drain out in this case? I would likely do a similar partial coolant drain @ 80,000 miles and a full Lexus-dealer coolant system flush ($$) @ 100,000 miles. Anything wrong with this scenario? Thanks!
Old 10-13-16, 12:29 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I think I could access the radiator drain plug without removing anything underneath. I only needed to add 1 gallon of Toyota OEM coolant. I did buy 2 gallons but did not need the second one. Maybe I will put it in my HS250h. I used the Lisle Tools 24680 SPILL-FREE FUNNEL
The Spill Free Funnel has been improved by adding an extra 45 degree elbow, a 5” extension, and a new E adapter. The E adapter is used on the surge tanks on many Ford applications. 45 degree elbow allows use on radiator caps that are placed at an angle. Extension allows access to caps located under shrouds or in fender wells.
The Spill-Free Funnel eliminates trapped air pockets which usually cause erratic cooling system and heater performance. It controls the proper amount of coolant entering system and enables unattended filling of the cooling system. The funnel eliminates squeaky belts caused by coolant overflow and protect the environment. Five adapters fit most domestic and import cars, light trucks and Ford vehicles.

And it actually worked! I really did not have to bleed it very much. I think I opened the engine bleed valve when filling.

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-13-16 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-23-18, 03:33 PM
Driver School Candidate

Default Coolant drain and fill

Hello, I did a search and could not find anything for my exact year.

I am changing my Coolant in my 2010 RX 350. I was wondering where all the coolant drain plugs are ? I know on some there is a drain at the radiator obviously, but another at the bottom of the engine, to get even more coolant out.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have already purchased the Toyota long life coolant , so I have that .
Old 03-23-18, 04:28 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

This very detailed video shows where the two drain plugs are on the engine:

Whilst the video is not based on a RX350, the engine is identical (2GR-FE)

You don't need to remove the thermostat - I just selected this video because it shows a lot of detail - the two drains on either side of the Vee of the engine is shown in the first four minutes of the video. That's probably all you need to watch.
Old 03-24-18, 04:20 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Found this document which has some further details: https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%...t/01700310.pdf
Old 03-24-18, 10:10 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Found this document which has some further details: https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%...t/01700310.pdf

That is very helpfull, thank you.

Is there a download somewhere of the entire thing ? It references other pages, I wouldn't mind having the entire thing for all of my maintenance.
Old 03-25-18, 07:47 AM
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, so i drained the coolant, and refilled. Im sure at first i had a little air in the lines as the temp gauge went a little above the half way mark.

does anyone know EXACTLY where the needle should be? It is halfway between the 4th and 5th white line. I do not remember if it always stayed on the 4th line exactly, or inbetween. Anybody know?
Old 03-25-18, 04:53 PM
Driver School Candidate

OK, so I went for a long drive today. I went for a 200 mile drive round trip.

the temp gauge went to the red, so the 9th white line , but I figured whatever, its just getting the air bubbles out ..

so anyway , after about 20 mins in the red, it started to stink... so I pulled over, popped the hood, and opened the radiater cap.

so the fluid shot out everywhere. .. so I figured it must have been over filled, and THAT is why it was overheating...

so I let it all shoot out, put the cap back on, and continued on my 100 mile drive home ..

so it was still in the red, but I figured whatever the gauge is probably broke, and drove home anyway.

so now, there's a ton of smoke coming out of the exhaust, and my thermostat gauge is broken, cause it always reads high, like in the red ..

anyone know what the problem might be ?

I was thinking of doing an oil change.. maybe that will fix it ?

thanks again to the forums !! always a bunch of help !

- roger
Old 03-26-18, 05:15 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Perhaps take it to your Lexus dealership and get them to check it out. I wouldn't drive it around after the "a ton of smoke" incident. Good luck!
Old 03-26-18, 06:02 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by 191185
OK, so I went for a long drive today. I went for a 200 mile drive round trip.

the temp gauge went to the red, so the 9th white line , but I figured whatever, its just getting the air bubbles out ..

so anyway , after about 20 mins in the red, it started to stink... so I pulled over, popped the hood, and opened the radiater cap.

so the fluid shot out everywhere. .. so I figured it must have been over filled, and THAT is why it was overheating...

so I let it all shoot out, put the cap back on, and continued on my 100 mile drive home ..

so it was still in the red, but I figured whatever the gauge is probably broke, and drove home anyway.

so now, there's a ton of smoke coming out of the exhaust, and my thermostat gauge is broken, cause it always reads high, like in the red ..

anyone know what the problem might be ?

I was thinking of doing an oil change.. maybe that will fix it ?

thanks again to the forums !! always a bunch of help !

- roger
Is this early April fools day joke?

Salim
Old 03-26-18, 06:29 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Perhaps take it to your Lexus dealership and get them to check it out. I wouldn't drive it around after the "a ton of smoke" incident. Good luck!
Yes, that's exactly what I did. I had it towed to the dealer this morning.

Waiting for them to call !me with probably bad news.
Old 03-28-18, 03:43 AM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the amusement.
Well, the vehicle is in good hands now. If it was me, I would start locating my shiniest wallet and hope that the engine is not cracked.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: How to Replace engine coolant (Super Long Life)?