RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Manually opening the rear door

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 10:35 AM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manually opening the rear door

I'm sure I'll appreciate the electronic lift on the rear door at some point, but most of the time I'd prefer to simply lift the door, perhaps saving the motor as an added benefit. But I can't seem to 'cleanly' do this. I've read the manual a few times. In order to manually open the door, it says you press on the leftmost button on the door itself. But this seems to initiate the motor lift.

I don't want to fully disable the feature (using the switch in the glove compartment), just manually override it when desired.

Currently, it feels like the motor is kicking in and then I'm overriding it, which makes me worry that I'm going to do some damage. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
Old 05-09-16, 11:05 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

With the car locked, quickly double-clicking the button above the license plate will cancel the motor assist for that opening.
Old 05-09-16, 03:09 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NateJG
With the car locked, quickly double-clicking the button above the license plate will cancel the motor assist for that opening.
I just went out and played with this ... seemed to work the first time, from locked. I then tried with the car unlocked (for me, 99% of the time the car is going to be unlocked already when I want to open the rear) and it seemed to work 'half the time'; a fast double-press would generate a single 'beep' and you could hear the 'latch' release, and the door would open a fraction, then I could lift manually. But the other half of the time, seemingly random, the door would open on the second press. Is there a technique I need to master?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-16, 04:36 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

You need to a) cross your ankles, b) use your left hand, c) ensure it's not raining, and d) pray.

You caused me pause - I try not to post something without being able to substantiate it - and I was so sure of my post that I didn't do the research. See:

Well, just interrupted Wifie's viewing of "Castle" three times to run to the garage to try and make my car open per the above - and I can't!

On my car ('13 RXh), I simply double-push the button - and then lif the gate manually. Works that way for me regardless of whether or not the car doors are locked.

I cannot get it to work as the manual (above) instructs.

Go figure.
Old 05-09-16, 07:48 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

You need to a) cross your ankles, b) use your left hand, c) ensure it's not raining, and d) pray.

You caused me pause - I try not to post something without being able to substantiate it - and I was so sure of my post that I didn't do the research. See:

Well, just interrupted Wifie's viewing of "Castle" three times to run to the garage to try and make my car open per the above - and I can't!

On my car ('13 RXh), I simply double-push the button - and then lif the gate manually. Works that way for me regardless of whether or not the car doors are locked.

I cannot get it to work as the manual (above) instructs.

Go figure.
I wonder if it detects your movement of the door and self-cancels the motor? I believe it's designed to stop if it hits any obstruction, right? so your 'pulling' it is perhaps detected as something 'not right' and thus it stops.

To be pedantic, do you press and release twice, then lift on the frame, or do you press once, release once, press second time and then keep pressing/lift the door in one continuous flow?
Old 05-10-16, 05:05 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Twice - quickly - before the motor starts.

Your mileage may vary. Some exclusions apply. Not intended for unlicensed drivers. Avoid running with scissors. Etc.
Old 05-10-16, 08:44 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I press once as I lift to open manually. I am pulling on the door as i press the button. Maybe that over-rides the motor. Maybe my old 2010 operates differently.
Old 05-10-16, 11:39 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

You can defeat the motorized opening 100% of the time by having the dealer change the preference setting (sometimes they say they can't do it, but they can). My wife prefers the automatic opening, and won't let me "fix" it. I just open it by pushing the button on the tailgate twice. It doesn't have to be particularly quick. Just twice. Works every time. Much faster than the automatic, too. It drives me nuts to stand there and wait for it to open.
Old 05-10-16, 01:06 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Woodrow
You can defeat the motorized opening 100% of the time by having the dealer change the preference setting (sometimes they say they can't do it, but they can). ...
According to p. 85 of the manual, 'Canceling the power back door system' - 'Turn off the main switch in the glove box to disable the power back door
system.
'

So you should not have to have the dealer involved, at least!
Old 07-02-16, 12:19 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Woodrow
... I just open it by pushing the button on the tailgate twice. It doesn't have to be particularly quick. Just twice. Works every time. ...
For what it's worth, after several months of ownership, I've found three quick presses of the rubber button above the license plate in succession do it for me - 3 full press/release cycles. The door moves a bit (I think this is the 'release'/'unlock' phase, and a beep is heard, but no attempt to 'lift' the door is felt). I can then pull up on the door with no issues. I tried one press, and two presses, but never got consistent results. It could be that the third press is entirely wasted, but this is now my standard practice and it works every time. Happy!
Old 07-03-16, 04:06 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Twice - quickly - before the motor starts.

Your mileage may vary. Some exclusions apply. Not intended for unlicensed drivers. Avoid running with scissors. Etc.
Hilarious! We think alike.
Ray A.
Old 07-05-16, 12:26 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Hilarious! We think alike.
Ray A.
Both of you probably listen to George Carlin