RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 power rear door stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 07:37 PM
troz350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 power rear door stuck

The power rear door to my wife's rx350 is stuck, mainly because there is a thick strap stuck in between the door. Pressing the power door open button won't work or even trying to use the manual button above the rear license plate. I can't even pull the strap out since it's jammed in there pretty tight. Any ideas on how to get the door working again?
Old 04-25-07, 08:25 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

happened to me about two months ago.

1) put down the seat backs
2)crawl in and remove the manual hatch that is on the interior of the back door (you can remove it with a flat head)
3) i forget whats in the trap door, but fiddle with it, while pulling the strap from the inside, while having somebody trying to open it from the outside.
Old 04-25-07, 08:47 PM
troz350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 04-26-07, 06:27 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Or -- it may be that the latch is being held against its striker plate by the pressure. You might trying to have two folks push the door tighter (closed) to compress the strap even more and relieve this pressure while trying either the electric or manual door open button.
The following users liked this post:
Judsonian (04-20-21)
Old 04-26-07, 12:10 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I assume you checked to see if a fuse was blown out?
Old 04-26-07, 04:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol, when it gets stuck, when opening by remote/etc you willd still hear the two beeps and the lights flashing. Im sure its just a stuck strap
Old 04-26-07, 07:14 PM
troz350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the ideas guys. I fixed it....I did what RXSF mentioned and that did the trick. I popped open the little rectangle piece to see the latching mechanism and forced the latch to open. To re-initialize the door you just have to close it manually and then you will be able to use the power rear door button again.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-17-13, 05:48 PM
njnester
Driver School Candidate

Mine liftgate is open but the lock is in the closed position...can't even close the door. No switches work (no sound except for a moment when I pull the liftgate opener near the license plate), fuses check ok, manual latching mechanism won't open lock. Glovebox on/off button doesn't help. Any ideas????
Old 09-13-15, 11:55 AM
Mike6567
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by njnester
Mine liftgate is open but the lock is in the closed position...can't even close the door. No switches work (no sound except for a moment when I pull the liftgate opener near the license plate), fuses check ok, manual latching mechanism won't open lock. Glovebox on/off button doesn't help. Any ideas????
same problem any thoughts on fix??? M
Old 09-14-15, 06:02 PM
njnester
Driver School Candidate

Default I tried this

Originally Posted by Mike6567
same problem any thoughts on fix??? M
I did this to fix mine:
Facing the back of the vehicle, with the lift gate up, there is a little latch inside the locking mechanism, It is actually The back end of the locking mechanism: you have to take the little two inch cover off it if there is one.... Press it to the right while simultaneously doing the following:
With your other hand, get along heavy duty screwdriver and from the outside of the car put it into the locking mechanism hole and pry it open while moving the little lever latch inside of the locking mechanism from the other side.
Once you get it to the open position, shut the trunk. It should lock into place. Then it should reset itself. I had to keep doing this every so often for months until somehow it was bent back in place and self corrected. I just kept that long screwdriver in my backseat for just those moments.

Last edited by njnester; 09-14-15 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-14-15, 06:07 PM
njnester
Driver School Candidate

Once you're able to pry it open (while pushing the small black inner release latch) and put it in the shut position the mechanical locking mechanism is able to reengage and you will have power in it. It should be able to open with the lift button. if it gets stuck in the locked position again, repeat the previous instructions. Mine was somehow bent. However, after many times of using the screwdriver while pushing the interior small (toggle like) release latch, it bent back into shape and works fine now.
Old 02-24-17, 09:48 AM
gwgang
Driver School Candidate

Default One more thing to do if the lock stuck on something

For future reference:
I got cargo net stuck between the lock and latch on the rear hatch. After failing to open it using the power door option and from inside latch; I simply deactivate the power rear door button found left of the open glove box. I manually press on the outside rear hatch button/handle to open. I think it works because it gives me more leverage/torque than the power door motor. I reactivate the Power Door button afterward, and it all back to normal.
Old 08-07-20, 06:01 AM
Joexwizy
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 Power liftgate stuck

Originally Posted by njnester
Once you're able to pry it open (while pushing the small black inner release latch) and put it in the shut position the mechanical locking mechanism is able to reengage and you will have power in it. It should be able to open with the lift button. if it gets stuck in the locked position again, repeat the previous instructions. Mine was somehow bent. However, after many times of using the screwdriver while pushing the interior small (toggle like) release latch, it bent back into shape and works fine now.
Thank you for this
I was able to open it manually with a screw driver by print a lever like metal from inside the car.

The power button works when the liftgate is opened or gradually closing. However, immediately it gets locked, it doesn't work anymore, then I'll have to start the screw driver process all over.

Is there something I'm missing?
Old 10-08-20, 08:01 AM
Miketup
Driver School Candidate

Smile check the button in the glovebox

previous owner stated the lift button doesn't work.
I pressed the buton in the glovebox. Magically it now works.