RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dealer used a non lexus part

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 11:15 PM
rashivivek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer used a non lexus part

Dear forum members,

Please guide me. I bought a certified pre owned RX 450h from a lexus dealer. No where on the CPO report was it mentioned that the windshield was cracked and filled in. It was on the driver's side . We noticed it while driving home since there was reflection from sun on it. After a lot of hue and cry the dealer agreed to replace the windshield.

Now he has replaced it with a Soundmaster Windshield. He did not tell us that he would not be replacing it with the genuine part. When I had dropped off my car for this work, I had specifically asked the service guy and he had said that he would be putting a genuine lexus windshield.

What should I do? I am clearly not happy with this.
Waiting for some advice on how to take this further.

Thanks,
RV
Old 10-14-14, 07:05 AM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by rashivivek
Dear forum members,

Please guide me. I bought a certified pre owned RX 450h from a lexus dealer. No where on the CPO report was it mentioned that the windshield was cracked and filled in. It was on the driver's side . We noticed it while driving home since there was reflection from sun on it. After a lot of hue and cry the dealer agreed to replace the windshield.

Now he has replaced it with a Soundmaster Windshield. He did not tell us that he would not be replacing it with the genuine part. When I had dropped off my car for this work, I had specifically asked the service guy and he had said that he would be putting a genuine lexus windshield.

What should I do? I am clearly not happy with this.
Waiting for some advice on how to take this further.

Thanks,
RV
Isn't Soundmaster OEM for Lexus? Same glass, but add a Lexus logo would add $1000 on the tab...
Old 10-14-14, 07:06 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you asking us? What do you want them to do? I can tell you what I would do, but you need to do what works for you. If you don't like it, ask them to do what they promised
Old 10-14-14, 07:41 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
Why are you asking us? What do you want them to do? I can tell you what I would do, but you need to do what works for you. If you don't like it, ask them to do what they promised
^^^BINGO!^^^ There's your answer!
Old 10-14-14, 07:50 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have replaced many windshield in many cars ive owned over the years and I will tell you that OEM glass is way better in quality than a oem equivalent one from soundmaster or pilkington. Just like manufacturing cars, phome, or TV there WILL be defects in material and workmanship and some of those glasses will slip through and get installed on your car.

Yes, many people can argue withe that OEM glass can also have defects too. This is true BUT remember that the Japanese are very meticulous about finding such defects amd far fewer or those defect glasses get installed on their cars. remember that Lexus has a reputation to keep.

Ive had my glass on a 2006 LS430 replaced and the insurance company told me that the pilkington glass was just as good as oem. So I believed them and had that pilkington installed. Upon driving the car I noticed that the view of the road was not clear like there is some kind pf distortion and thought maby there was some oil or grease on the windshield. I cleaned it really good but still have the same distortion. I figured that I would get used to it and long and behold one day it began to rain. When it rained the distortion in the glass was enhance by two fold and rendered driving impossible. I almost got into an accident because of this. I went back to installer and had OEM glass installed. Yhe results this time was much better with zero distortions.

I also owned a 2001 Chevy Corvette that needed a new windshield. I had aftermarket windshield installed In that too and within the first time it rained it stated leaking into the car. I took car back in to have it fixed. The removed the glass and cleaned it up amd reinstalled it again thinking that the glue resin the first time did not cure correctly. After install everything was good again until it started to raim again. The windshield leaked again. I took it back and the checked it out one more time and said the glass has a defect and was distorted and need rwplacemnet. At this point I made it apparent that I want oem. We compromised by me paying just the labor and they pay for parts. after the oem glass was installed everthing was like normal again.

Aftermarket glass has annoyed me too many times and from now on will swear only to replace with oem on even if it cost $2000. I should have learn the first time with my corvette but shame on me for believing the words my insurance adjuster said stating that there glass was just as good. I am sure there are other people in this forum that will tell you the same thing to get OEM glass. And for those who say pilkington and soundmaster is just as good was on of the lucky ones that got a perfect example.
Old 10-14-14, 07:58 AM
mohrd
Driver

When I had dropped off my car for this work, I had specifically asked the service guy and he had said that he would be putting a genuine lexus windshield.

You specifically asked and he specifically answered? Then, why the non OEM? If he would have answered differently would you have halted the work order? Talk to the service manager and get what was promised.
Old 10-14-14, 03:11 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Much to be said about using OEM products. QA/QC seems much better.
Same factory........probably. Same results at the end of the line........probably not.
Pass the QA/QC + ship it off to an assembly plant.
Miss the QA/QC + ship some off to unsuspecting buyers.

Not long ago I had a stash of spare sheet metal parts for the old Buick I just sold. Ever get into a collision with a 40 + year old car ? Some, very few, repro parts are available but fit & quality is very poor.
I'd sooner have a really nice used OEM fender vs. a reproduction.
Old 10-17-14, 07:45 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I have replaced many windshield in many cars ive owned over the years and I will tell you that OEM glass is way better in quality than a oem equivalent one from soundmaster or pilkington. Just like manufacturing cars, phome, or TV there WILL be defects in material and workmanship and some of those glasses will slip through and get installed on your car.

Yes, many people can argue withe that OEM glass can also have defects too. This is true BUT remember that the Japanese are very meticulous about finding such defects amd far fewer or those defect glasses get installed on their cars. remember that Lexus has a reputation to keep.

Ive had my glass on a 2006 LS430 replaced and the insurance company told me that the pilkington glass was just as good as oem. So I believed them and had that pilkington installed. Upon driving the car I noticed that the view of the road was not clear like there is some kind pf distortion and thought maby there was some oil or grease on the windshield. I cleaned it really good but still have the same distortion. I figured that I would get used to it and long and behold one day it began to rain. When it rained the distortion in the glass was enhance by two fold and rendered driving impossible. I almost got into an accident because of this. I went back to installer and had OEM glass installed. Yhe results this time was much better with zero distortions.

I also owned a 2001 Chevy Corvette that needed a new windshield. I had aftermarket windshield installed In that too and within the first time it rained it stated leaking into the car. I took car back in to have it fixed. The removed the glass and cleaned it up amd reinstalled it again thinking that the glue resin the first time did not cure correctly. After install everything was good again until it started to raim again. The windshield leaked again. I took it back and the checked it out one more time and said the glass has a defect and was distorted and need rwplacemnet. At this point I made it apparent that I want oem. We compromised by me paying just the labor and they pay for parts. after the oem glass was installed everthing was like normal again.

Aftermarket glass has annoyed me too many times and from now on will swear only to replace with oem on even if it cost $2000. I should have learn the first time with my corvette but shame on me for believing the words my insurance adjuster said stating that there glass was just as good. I am sure there are other people in this forum that will tell you the same thing to get OEM glass. And for those who say pilkington and soundmaster is just as good was on of the lucky ones that got a perfect example.
Rain leaking in is PURELY an installation problem, NOT anything to do with the glass; lets not blow this out of proportion!!
Old 10-17-14, 09:07 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holey windshield Batman.
Old 11-03-14, 11:45 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by dctex99
Rain leaking in is PURELY an installation problem, NOT anything to do with the glass; lets not blow this out of proportion!!
Wouldn't a warped or distorted non-OEM windshield leak no matter the quality of installation?
Old 11-03-14, 01:01 PM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
Wouldn't a warped or distorted non-OEM windshield leak no matter the quality of installation?
Not really... the quality of installation has a lot to do with the type of adhesive used and how it applied.
Old 11-03-14, 01:41 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Often ignored in this discussion is the fact that your windshield is part of the safety equipment in your car. Gone are the days where the windshield was just there to keep the bugs and rain from hitting you in the face. Your windshield acts as the backing plate for the front passenger airbag in case you are in a collision. It also provides half of the support for the roof, preventing it's collapse, in case of a rollover.

OEM glass is slow annealed and this takes time and adds to the cost. The process makes the glass stronger and nearly distortion free. Aftermarket replacement glass is quick annealed and thus less costly to manufacture but the result is a less strong piece of glass and often with more distortion evident. Also note that if you are leasing the vehicle and choose to have your windshield replaced with aftermarket glass, the dealer will usually dock you for the cost of an OEM replacement when its time to turn your leased vehicle in. Check your lease contract.

One final point... If aftermarket glass was as good as OEM glass, why do you think automakers do not use it instead? They could save millions of dollars if the aftermarket glass was as good and met the US FMVSS 205 regulations.
Old 11-04-14, 05:32 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Often ignored in this discussion is the fact that your windshield is part of the safety equipment in your car. Gone are the days where the windshield was just there to keep the bugs and rain from hitting you in the face. Your windshield acts as the backing plate for the front passenger airbag in case you are in a collision. It also provides half of the support for the roof, preventing it's collapse, in case of a rollover.

OEM glass is slow annealed and this takes time and adds to the cost. The process makes the glass stronger and nearly distortion free. Aftermarket replacement glass is quick annealed and thus less costly to manufacture but the result is a less strong piece of glass and often with more distortion evident. Also note that if you are leasing the vehicle and choose to have your windshield replaced with aftermarket glass, the dealer will usually dock you for the cost of an OEM replacement when its time to turn your leased vehicle in. Check your lease contract.

One final point... If aftermarket glass was as good as OEM glass, why do you think automakers do not use it instead? They could save millions of dollars if the aftermarket glass was as good and met the US FMVSS 205 regulations.

Very good points...