RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Isn't Lexus RX windshield too soft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 03:19 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isn't Lexus RX windshield too soft?

My RX350' windshield got 2 big cracks in 1 year. I just feel the material of this windshield isn't good enough. Does anyone else has the same concern ?
Old 06-03-10, 03:48 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

common issue with modern day windshields. I dont know why. You really just have to avoid bigrigs and large trucks
Old 06-03-10, 07:23 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yanje03
My RX350' windshield got 2 big cracks in 1 year. I just feel the material of this windshield isn't good enough. Does anyone else has the same concern ?
Mine cracked right up the center while I was drying the car after I washed it. The dealer determined nothing hit it and replaced it with OEM windshield under warranty. The crack ran from an inch or two from the bottom about 2/3 of the way right up the center.

It's been fine and say's 'Lexus' on it. A glass company came to the dealer and they did it there.
Old 06-04-10, 04:52 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cost cutting...cheap, cheap
Old 06-04-10, 07:20 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by redrocks
I wouldn't say that. How could you ??? Sometimes things just happen w/o explanation. In the new Consumer Reports the 2010 RX 450h, and 350 came out 1st and 3rd respectively in dependability and safety. The folks on here are probably less than 1% of all the owners. I don't fault Lexus for a w/s that was one of many made from their supplier with a hiccup. They took one look and replaced it with a smile during my 'free' 10000 mile maintenance.
Old 06-04-10, 07:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO, just plain bad luck is more of a factor with broken windshields than poor quality etc.
Old 06-04-10, 10:20 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
If you could validate your assertion with real facts rather than painting this issue with a broad and uninformed brush, it might be worth discussing or debating, but quite frankly you really did not add any substance to this thread, so...

Windshields undergo tremendous thermal and mechanical forming processes in manufacturing. There are very few companies in this world that can produce them, so car manufacturers tend to purchase them from this very compact supply stream. Just because it says Lexus, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Aston Martin or Ferrari on the windshield does not imply they produce their own.

Occasionally, a few of them will fail due to residual thermal stresses, or manufacturing induced stresses either in handling or assembly. However, these rare events are so infrequent, they are replaced without question when/if it happens.

And no, they are not too soft...
Old 06-05-10, 04:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think windshields are thinner and lighter than in the past for less weight and crack and chip easier because of that.
Old 06-05-10, 05:06 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I think windshields are thinner and lighter than in the past for less weight and crack and chip easier because of that.
Joe
Can you cite any articles to back that up? Or is there some fact you used to form that opinion?

Just curious.
Old 06-05-10, 05:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Joe
Can you cite any articles to back that up? Or is there some fact you used to form that opinion?

Just curious.
Well,just about everything else is made lighter to cut down weight.
Why not the windshield?No doubt it's thinner glass,IMO.
I'm in my 50's and don't remember all these chip and cracking problems on vehicles from the 60s,70s and 80's.Sure,it happened but not nearly as common as today.
I've only had windshields replaced on my 2000+ vehicles.A 2002 Grand Prix and 2007 Camry.
If I remember correctly,years ago,it took two guys to place the windshield in place on an install.Could be lack of the suction tool that is used today,though.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-05-10 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-05-10, 05:27 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Well,just about everything else is made lighter to cut down weight.
Why not the windshield?No doubt it's thinner glass,IMO.
I'm in my 50's and don't remember all these chip and cracking problems on vehicles from the 60s,70s and 80's.Sure,it happened but not nearly as common as today.
I've only had windshields replaced on my 2000+ vehicles.A 2002 Grand Prix and 2007 Camry.
If I remember correctly,years ago,it took two guys to place the windshield in place on an install.Could be lack of the suction tool that is used today,though.
Agree, lighter and thinner reduces weight and increases the vehicle's MPG.
Old 06-05-10, 05:35 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Even if the windshield is thinner and/or lighter, I would not correlate it with Lexus being cheap or implementing cost cutting measures necessarily.
Old 06-05-10, 05:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Could be the accoustic glass..
Windshields have gotten thinner and accoustic glass is lighter than stock non accoustic glass.

"The standard laminated glass windshield was first introduced for the safety benefit of providing occupant retention in the event of a crash. It also has proven vibration damping characteristics. Laminated glass consists of a 'sandwich' of a tough, polyvinyl butyral (PVB) interlayer bonded between two sheets of glass under heat and pressure. The PVB interlayer damps vibrations in the glass and, in automotive applications, produces a significant reduction in road and wind noise. Remarkably thin, the 'sandwich' ranges between 3.8 to 5.2 mm in thickness, depending upon its application, and weighs about 11% less than tempered glass of similar thickness. This weight reduction becomes important in overall vehicle design given OEMs' concern with vehicle weight.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...2/ai_n9303485/
Old 06-05-10, 05:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
Even if the windshield is thinner and/or lighter, I would not correlate it with Lexus being cheap or implementing cost cutting measures necessarily.
No cost cutting.I believe Lexus pays more for accoustic glass.Lighter like a lot of parts today for less curb weight for better MPGs for that GOV CAFE number.
Old 06-05-10, 05:40 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Could be the accoustic glass..
Windshields have gotten thinner and accoustic glass is thinner that stock non accoustic glass.

"The standard laminated glass windshield was first introduced for the safety benefit of providing occupant retention in the event of a crash. It also has proven vibration damping characteristics. Laminated glass consists of a 'sandwich' of a tough, polyvinyl butyral (PVB) interlayer bonded between two sheets of glass under heat and pressure. The PVB interlayer damps vibrations in the glass and, in automotive applications, produces a significant reduction in road and wind noise. Remarkably thin, the 'sandwich' ranges between 3.8 to 5.2 mm in thickness, depending upon its application, and weighs about 11% less than tempered glass of similar thickness. This weight reduction becomes important in overall vehicle design given OEMs' concern with vehicle weight.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...2/ai_n9303485/
Yes, I was just looking up information on acoustic glass windshield! Wonder if it cost less to produce than regular windshields?

Quick Reply: Isn't Lexus RX windshield too soft?