RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Backup Camera Guidelines

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 11:34 AM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera Guidelines

I recently test drove the 2015 Lexus RX350 with the Nav/ML/Confort/HID package nearing $52K.
But the revers backup camera does not have guidlines.

Is there a way to add this feature. I could have sworn that on the old RX's they did have this feature.
Can someone comment on this please?
Old 09-05-14, 11:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Unfortunately no, the third generation RX does not have the lines.
Old 09-05-14, 12:16 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's sad that they remove some things to cut costs or whatever - they know we'll still buy them. Now, I've been with Lexus for about 10 years now and love the reliability and comfort I've had with them, but I wish they'd step up their game just a bit.
I recently rented a Chevy Malibu (which was recalled while I had it) that had the backup lines and they were definitely handy. I used the backup camera much more than I currently do in my RX. That car also had 2 USB inputs which was very nice. I wouldn't buy a chevy though.
I also recently rented a Dodge Charger and it had some nice touches (buttons lit up, nice lights around cup holder area, light in the center console box (not sure if the RX has this though)...just some little things that you notice. Granted some things in the Dodge I didn't care for ("Auto" setting on climate was a joke and their gear-shifter wins the award for worst design decision of the decade).
Another thing Lexus got rid of in the RX (supposedly due to redesign of the ballasts) is the swiveling headlights.
But all this is just me complaining some. I still love my RX (2nd one).
Old 09-05-14, 01:34 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A 2013 HONDA civic LX which cost less than$20.000 new have the guidelines.
To make you guys feel better...or not
My Model S 85kw with a lot of options doesn't have blindspot monitoring, ( BSM), active cruise control, AWD etc. AND back up camera guidelines.

Even if i want to add these features, TEsla motors can't.
Old 09-05-14, 03:33 PM
KeithPI
Driver School Candidate

I am really enjoying my new 2015 RX. But I am surprised by some little things that my 2007 EX had that this new vehicle does not, especially considering the price for a fully loaded RX. It's not so much a complaint as it is just surprise. But it has made me wonder a couple of times if other manufacturers have these things. Probably not the idea Lexus would want a 13 year customer to have.
Old 09-06-14, 06:14 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mors
Yes, it's sad that they remove some things to cut costs or whatever - they know we'll still buy them. Now, I've been with Lexus for about 10 years now and love the reliability and comfort I've had with them, but I wish they'd step up their game just a bit.
I recently rented a Chevy Malibu (which was recalled while I had it) that had the backup lines and they were definitely handy. I used the backup camera much more than I currently do in my RX. That car also had 2 USB inputs which was very nice. I wouldn't buy a chevy though.
I also recently rented a Dodge Charger and it had some nice touches (buttons lit up, nice lights around cup holder area, light in the center console box (not sure if the RX has this though)...just some little things that you notice. Granted some things in the Dodge I didn't care for ("Auto" setting on climate was a joke and their gear-shifter wins the award for worst design decision of the decade).
Another thing Lexus got rid of in the RX (supposedly due to redesign of the ballasts) is the swiveling headlights.
It it also annoys me the RX is missing interior lights on the Mirror controls, Windows Controls and ESP THE OVERHEAD!!! Seriously Lexus. I am not asking for dazzling childish blue lights, but why don't my overhead buttons have lights. ESP THE HOMELINK buttons and MAP LIGHT button
Old 09-06-14, 06:23 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, my 2010 has the 'swiveling' HID's and for where I live they're extremely useful. Can't say it's the reason for sure I haven't traded yet but in so many ways to upgrade would be to spend money to 'downgrade' IMHO. My (h) only has 62k on the ODO and is like new. Plus he's still average right at 30mpg and for a nearly 300hp car weighing nearly 5,000 lbs that's a real feat. Did I mention it's still extremely comfortable and quite? My little red play toy in my signature has HID's but they don't swivel , and yea it burns a bit more gas .
Originally Posted by Mors
Old 09-08-14, 01:42 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KeithPI
I am really enjoying my new 2015 RX. But I am surprised by some little things that my 2007 EX had that this new vehicle does not, especially considering the price for a fully loaded RX. It's not so much a complaint as it is just surprise. But it has made me wonder a couple of times if other manufacturers have these things. Probably not the idea Lexus would want a 13 year customer to have.
Here's food for thought, the non-USDM RXs do have backup camera guidelines.
Old 09-08-14, 03:09 PM
wbbqhs
Driver School Candidate

It is more a software issue than a hardware issue. I guess the software need to know the current state of the wheels which the computer already knows. It shouldn't be that much a cost. Maybe Lexus think guidelines give people too much confidence so they tend to scratch theirs cars?
Old 09-08-14, 04:06 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been thinking about putting pinstripes on my mirror to mimic backup guidelines. This has been a tongue-in-cheek joke.
Old 09-09-14, 11:25 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
I've been thinking about putting pinstripes on my mirror to mimic backup guidelines. This has been a tongue-in-cheek joke.
just do what i do.
i have 3 cans of paint ( red, yellow, green) in the trunk.
i paint the space where i'll be parking.
The following users liked this post:
BartWindru (04-01-21)
Old 09-10-14, 07:26 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
just do what i do.
i have 3 cans of paint ( red, yellow, green) in the trunk.
i paint the space where i'll be parking.
Hilarious!
Old 09-22-14, 05:37 AM
jtmarine73
3rd Gear

Default Backup Camera

Just purchased an RX350 and still trying to find time to go over all the technology in the new vehicle. Something I can't find in the settings is if there is a way to show the lines on the backup camera for where the vehicle is going. They had us in a 2015 ES the weekend we bought the vehicle while it was being detailed and it had the navigation lines. Hoping there is a way to get these to show up.
Old 09-22-14, 05:41 AM
fifaref2
Driver School Candidate

The lines lie
Old 09-22-14, 07:07 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

The vehicle either has lines or it doesn't. There's no way to turn them on or off.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Guidelines