RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 08:55 PM
430addict
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Isn't the hood different on the spindle grill version? And I'm not sure of the left and right fenders. Personally I think you are crazy for doing this....if you wanted the spindle grille you should have bought it that way. Don't forget you are going to have to paint any body parts and that is just more money. And are you actually going to do all the work yourself? Are you certain the new spindle grille and bumper attachment points are exactly the same as the one on your 2011 car? Do not assume they are the same.

Have fun.
I have two RXs in the family. A 2010 450H and a 2013 350 FSport. The whole point of my project is to make the older sibling look 3 years younger.

I've done some side by side comparisons and it all matches. Mounting points could be different though I'm sure a professional bodyshop would be able to work that out. The headlamps are actually of the same shape and only differ in the cluster of lamps plus LED. It's not that expensive a project if you source carefully for the parts. They don't have to be 100% brand new as long as you inspect them carefully. Headlamps were a ***** to source and I finally managed to secure a pair at an incredibly good price. Focus on the mounts. Make sure they are not broken and also inspect the headlamp for cracks. Last thing you want is to have the headlamps fog up.
Old 09-12-13, 09:08 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 430addict
Coincidentally I'm embarking on this project. I already have the wheels and headlights on hand. Ballasts, front bumper, grilleon route. Just need to procure the lower bumper lip as well as the necessary clips. I'll start a new thread when the retrofit begins.
Please keep me informed. I would love to do this when funds are available. Maybe not as detailed as you are making yours but similar.

Also for those mentioning that its easier to trade in your car for a new one, i agree but getting like 28k for my RX350 or so and then going to spend 43 - 48K to buy one is not worth it to me. I'd rather try to facelift my RX350 then lose more then 15K trying to get a bumper, lights, and wheels. Parts will be cheaper then 15K thats for sure. Also i know yall will mention its going to hurt my cars vaiue when i do the facelift but if i plan to drive my car into the ground then, i dont have to worry about the value i might lose, but thats just me. Yall may also mention its a hassle, but i dont care, as i'm willing to put time into this to potentially make it happen.

I mentioned all those senerios above because ive heard them all from other members when similar threads were started.
Old 09-12-13, 07:46 PM
430addict
Driver School Candidate

For me it's worse. I'm in Asia. I paid approx USD165K for my 2010 RX450H and a new 2013 RX450H FSport would put me back USD308K. So a retrofit project is definitely worth the trouble and money.

My project is not overly detailed. The ballasts need to be replaced as the 2010 ones are different. But I'll still attempt to fit the 2010 ones onto the 2013 headlamp just for the heck of it and report back the results. The same goes for the foglamps. I'm pretty sure there's a way to transfer the 2010 light fittings onto the 2013 foglamp assembly.
Old 09-15-13, 05:31 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

For me it's worse. I'm in Asia. I paid approx USD165K for my 2010 RX450H and a new 2013 RX450H FSport would put me back USD308K. So a retrofit project is definitely worth the trouble and money.

My project is not overly detailed. The ballasts need to be replaced as the 2010 ones are different. But I'll still attempt to fit the 2010 ones onto the 2013 headlamp just for the heck of it and report back the results. The same goes for the foglamps. I'm pretty sure there's a way to transfer the 2010 light fittings onto the 2013 foglamp assembly.
Holy Crap! That's expensive!
Old 09-16-13, 09:53 AM
430addict
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Holy Crap! That's expensive!
It sure is. Before we actually get to own a vehicle, we need to bid from a limited supply of certificates of ownership and that itself can cost up to USD$70K depending on supply and demand which is regulated by the Government. It's ridiculous.
Old 09-16-13, 05:12 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sure is. Before we actually get to own a vehicle, we need to bid from a limited supply of certificates of ownership and that itself can cost up to USD$70K depending on supply and demand which is regulated by the Government. It's ridiculous.
Singapore, right?
Old 09-17-13, 09:39 AM
Abuntoro
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to @430addict now i'm getting more confident. If u say the headlamp size shape between 2010 and 2013 are all the same.
Old 09-17-13, 11:14 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I completely agree with Evitzee, don't expect any return ( of investment) when you trade in / sell the car.
Even with a facelift, the model year of the RX is unchanged...and the person buying your car will use KBB.
THIS, facelift might even cost you.
I used to do what you guys are doing. put an in dash nav on a non nav unit ( toyota) leather seats upgrade, wheels upgrade etc and i never got my money back when i sold the car.

So unless you plan to "keep the car" and run it to the ground, better think twice.
Old 09-18-13, 06:34 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

When I read what the rest of the free World pays for our RX's it's mind boggling, Even in Canada it's much more expensive than here in the good ole USA. Am I the only one who dislikes the '13's spindle front ends? I think it looks good on the new IS's but not on the RX.
Old 09-18-13, 06:52 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
When I read what the rest of the free World pays for our RX's it's mind boggling, Even in Canada it's much more expensive than here in the good ole USA. Am I the only one who dislikes the '13's spindle front ends? I think it looks good on the new IS's but not on the RX.
I actually really like the front-end, lights and all. The main reason we bought a 2013 instead of a 2012, we just thinks it looks so much better.
Old 09-18-13, 08:43 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
Everything is more expensive in Canada. ( my mother in law is from there) i get to visit her every other month.
A humble Honda Accord in Canada is considered premium car already.

If you're buying an RX350, you only have two choices. Base/premium and Ultra Premium.
I like how we can have a sort of ala carte RX Here in the states

The spindle grill will grow on you. It did on me.
Old 09-19-13, 08:55 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

430addict, do you have any updates for us on the progress?
Old 10-25-13, 07:38 AM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sub'd in for this

Edwin
Old 10-28-13, 01:34 AM
Abuntoro
Driver School Candidate

I've checked with my local dealer. The headlamp is different in shape. Too bad i cant facelift my RX without changing the headlamp that cost a fortune
Old 10-28-13, 09:13 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Abuntoro
I've checked with my local dealer. The headlamp is different in shape. Too bad i cant facelift my RX without changing the headlamp that cost a fortune
Really? Last time I checked the shape was the same. Maybe 430addict can chime in and confirm since he has both RX's.

Quick Reply: Facelift