RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 08:08 PM
Abuntoro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Facelift

Hi all, i'm a newbie and need help. I got an 2011 RX without the x-shaped front grille. Now i'm about to self-facelifting my ride. I checked everywhere, the price of the OEM x-shaped grille + the OEM front bumper is not costly. But the problem is the price of the front headlights. It costs a fortune. Therefore, i'm planning to change the front bumper and grille only, but using the old headlight (without LED). My question is, will the headlight fits to the bumper?
Old 09-07-13, 10:41 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No one on the forum has done the upgrade ... it is cost prohibitive. But, if you find a way or are successful please come back with pictures and your story. There is a general feeling that if you like the look of the 2013 model, just buy that model and you will get the new front-end. My feeling is that no one pays close attention to these SUV's and the 2010-2012 style is for all practical purposes the same as the 2013 -2014. Before buying an RX, I was aware of changes on the Gen II model. But, couldn't tell you what they were or when they were introduced and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on the Lexus line.
Old 09-08-13, 04:09 AM
Abuntoro
Driver School Candidate

Thanks @UCSB i will report but meanwhile maybe somebody else to respond? I would be glad to hear
Old 09-08-13, 12:24 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Im actually debating doing this, i feel the old headlights would fit with the new bumper and grill as the shape hasnt changed. I just dont have extra funds available to try this out myself. If you happen to move forward with this please post details and pics.
Old 09-09-13, 07:57 AM
dmpus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the 2013 F-sport front? Now that is worth it
Old 09-09-13, 08:40 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dmpus
How about the 2013 F-sport front? Now that is worth it
Yeah thats actually what I was wanting to get. The regular front bumper imo isnt worth the trouble unless you go for the F-Sport bumper.
Old 09-09-13, 10:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That would kill me.

I couldn't take looking at my 'F-Sport' knowing it doesn't perform like an F-Sport. Why remind yourself of something you don't have?
Old 09-09-13, 03:17 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
That would kill me.

I couldn't take looking at my 'F-Sport' knowing it doesn't perform like an F-Sport. Why remind yourself of something you don't have?
For me personally its not about trying to get a F-sport, or to look like one when i dont actually have one. I just like the way the bumper is sculpted and would love to have it on my car. I dont care for the F-sport suspension and whatever gets added to the F-Sport package.
Old 09-09-13, 04:05 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Abuntoro
Hi all, i'm a newbie and need help. I got an 2011 RX without the x-shaped front grille. Now i'm about to self-facelifting my ride. I checked everywhere, the price of the OEM x-shaped grille + the OEM front bumper is not costly. But the problem is the price of the front headlights. It costs a fortune. Therefore, i'm planning to change the front bumper and grille only, but using the old headlight (without LED). My question is, will the headlight fits to the bumper?
Isn't the hood different on the spindle grill version? And I'm not sure of the left and right fenders. Personally I think you are crazy for doing this....if you wanted the spindle grille you should have bought it that way. Don't forget you are going to have to paint any body parts and that is just more money. And are you actually going to do all the work yourself? Are you certain the new spindle grille and bumper attachment points are exactly the same as the one on your 2011 car? Do not assume they are the same.

Have fun.

Last edited by Evitzee; 09-09-13 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 08:02 PM
Abuntoro
Driver School Candidate

Hood is all the same. And i'm pretty sure, it's the headlamps that confused me
Old 09-09-13, 08:25 PM
dmpus
Rookie

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
That would kill me.

Isn't f-sport more optical than performance upgrade for the RX model? engine is all the same..
Old 09-10-13, 07:07 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dmpus
Isn't f-sport more optical than performance upgrade for the RX model? engine is all the same..
Engine and brakes is almost all that they share. From the reviews, the two are worlds apart (8 speed tranny, suspension, paddle shifters, etc).
Old 09-10-13, 12:41 PM
jbounnoi
Lead Lap

i would love to see this done!
Old 09-10-13, 01:49 PM
ajs
Driver

I just don't see it. What makes the new front end so distinctive are the new LED DRLs. So I don't think you are going to be happy with just the new bumper. If you want it that bad, just trade your 2011 for a 2013 with sport appearance package. You'll save yourself a world of trouble.
The following users liked this post:
Lukasteam (04-03-24)
Old 09-11-13, 08:48 PM
430addict
Driver School Candidate

Coincidentally I'm embarking on this project. I already have the wheels and headlights on hand. Ballasts, front bumper, grilleon route. Just need to procure the lower bumper lip as well as the necessary clips. I'll start a new thread when the retrofit begins.

Quick Reply: Facelift