RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Who Has the Highest Mileage on their Gen3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-22, 07:28 AM
StingerGT
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

108,500 as of 6/17/22.
Old 06-20-22, 07:50 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2010 125k miles, recently done coil + spark plugs, replaced transmission oil, coolant drain, gotta loved this 2GR-FE engine.
The following users liked this post:
mharel (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 02:49 PM
mharel
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a 2012 with 85k

Grew up with Lexus and just purchased my first. It’s older, and miles are high, but it runs like it’s floating through the clouds.

Any suggestions or recommendations when it comes to upkeep of the 2012? (Apart from the obvious)

thank you!
Old 07-18-22, 09:33 AM
ruralres
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just turned 430,000 KM
Old 07-18-22, 12:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,006 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by mharel
Grew up with Lexus and just purchased my first. It’s older, and miles are high, but it runs like it’s floating through the clouds.

Any suggestions or recommendations when it comes to upkeep of the 2012? (Apart from the obvious)

thank you!
I keep harping about this: Thin manual in the glove compartment Warranty and Service. There is a milage/time based service items listed in there. Try to find out the history ... Lexus may have it on line and then bring it to age. Typically a vehicle does 12-15K miles a year. If yours is less, be mindful about age of the tires [check the date on the tires]. Look at the next scheduled service items [and you can wait to get to that milage].

Just don't shock the machine. Gradually work it to your norm.

Salim
Old 05-10-23, 07:39 PM
bert213
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm here to keep this going. 2012 RX350 with original engine and trans - 294k miles.
Only two major issues: Alternator and Air Bag Clockspring
Dealer oil changes exclusively, FWIW

Last edited by bert213; 05-10-23 at 07:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bert213:
carguy75 (05-10-23), FMY421 (05-10-23), intermec (05-12-23), RadiantX45 (03-20-24)
Old 05-10-23, 08:43 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bert213
I'm here to keep this going. 2012 RX350 with original engine and trans - 294k miles.
Only two major issues: Alternator and Air Bag Clockspring
Dealer oil changes exclusively, FWIW

Wow. Nearly 300k miles without any major engine and transmission issues!!! Not bad at all. Your 2012 Rx350 gives me hope that my 2015 with about 179k miles on it can go the distance as well.

I change my engine oil every 4k miles and drain/fill the transmission fluid every year; so hopefully that helps to keep the drive-train going 500k miles or more.
The following users liked this post:
bert213 (05-10-23)
Old 05-11-23, 03:55 AM
Abrar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
So I took my 2010 RX350 in for service last month, and once again the service agent commented on my high mileage. Which got me to wondering...how high is high?

As of last night, I have 88,253 miles on my car, which was purchased Nov. 30, 2009. So 41.50 months of driving, an average of 2126 miles per month (it was actually at 15K miles the first 13 months, and then I moved).

Anyone have a higher mileage count than that on their Gen3?

Sandi
you have a pretty low mileage for a 13 year old car. About 7k miles per year.

these cars can go to very high mileage of properly maintained , 300-400k is not uncommon. I have seen them go up to 600k as well.

It’s the body of the car which falls apart, not the engine and transmission.

maintenance is key.
Old 05-11-23, 06:59 AM
bert213
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
Wow. Nearly 300k miles without any major engine and transmission issues!!! Not bad at all. Your 2012 Rx350 gives me hope that my 2015 with about 179k miles on it can go the distance as well.

I change my engine oil every 4k miles and drain/fill the transmission fluid every year; so hopefully that helps to keep the drive-train going 500k miles or more.
Yes, thanks. Fingers stay crossed. I TRULY believe that the tow package on this RX deserves the credit. Tough to deny a heavy-duty radiator and transmission cooler. I was not so lucky to find the tow package on my 2023 RX350, so we'll see...
Old 05-11-23, 07:14 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 391 Likes on 310 Posts

Agreed. We do not tow with my wife's 2015 RX350 FWD, but I am glad it was built with the heavy-duty tow package. I hope that package will indeed help the vehicle to have a long life in our stable. Time will tell.
Old 05-15-23, 04:11 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2013RX just passed 90k km about 62k miles. Just getting warmed up. Are you all drain and filling the tranny?
Old 05-15-23, 04:54 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 391 Likes on 310 Posts

^^ Yes indeed. Because only 2.25 quarts of ATF typically drains out each time, it takes three consecutive drain-and-fills to get to 85% to 90% fresh fluid. 50,000 to 60,000-mile intervals seems to work quite well, but more frequently than that may provide better transmission longevity insurance in these vehicles.
Old 11-01-23, 12:30 PM
mcgervey
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New member, though I've scoured this page for info in the past, and this is my third Lexus. Was here poking around because I'm thinking of picking up an 08 RX to add to my 2010, to have a car for my 15 year old to learn on. I owned a 2005 RX previously.

Anyway, to add to the mileage/time data.
Bought my 2010 in 2017 with 80K. Drove over to Ohio and paid $15K when local area dealers were asking $19K-20K for the same comparable car and miles. Daughter wanted the light/baby blue this one was so it was a win/win with the price/miles.

I've owned Toyota/Lexus for over 3 decades. Other than trucks and the occasional Volvo as a second vehicle, my DD has most always been a toyo/Lexus. This is the 3rd vehicle I've had the 3.5 in (2009 Camry SE, 2008 Sienna).

Since I bought it at 80K and changed the oil, my full synth oil changes have averaged well over 10K intervals. Last one was 18K. I know, I know, I've just never had a problem.

The original Lexus battery in this one went ten (10) years! Via date code, I had to replace the original battery in June 2020. Other than oil changes, 3 brake/rotor changes (big, heavy vehicle, WV mountains, lead foot), wiper changes, tire changes, I haven't done much other work at all.

Got T-boned at an intersection in 2018. 15-20mph. Driver was trying to run a right turn on a red light and careened into me. Long time in the shop and a loaner, got it back in 35 days with new door panels and a new front fender/front clip. For some reason they had to order new clips after changing the bumper and added to repair time. Got it back looking good as new.

At 199K miles the front end started bouncing down the road. New front struts. Bought medium price on Rock Auto, maybe $300, local shop I used installed for $160 flat cash. Struts working nicely, much improved ride.

At 205K the alternator failed. That was a pricey one. $300 for the HO alternator with an Auto Zone discount of some sort. But the shop was about that much too. Apparently they have to basically take out mounts and move the radiator back, longer job. I had changed the serpentine belt just before that, as it was making a noise and I thought that was my charging problem, but nope. Alternator (Belt was due anyway). So 205K miles on original serpentine belt. That's some parts quality control for you, 10 years on original battery, 199K on original shocks, 205K on original alternator. Alternator working well.

Went to Maine and back this summer. Sprung a coolant leak. 2010K miles on radiator. New radiator from local radiator shop, $300 as I have the towing package (adds about $100 to the radiator cost, apparently the towing package has an enlarged radiator, and the towing package radiator inside the front of the drivers side wheel arch apparently runs oil or coolant? in and out of the main radiator. Anyway, $225 to the shop and $525 total for new radiator. Temp gauge perfectly centered again and doesn't move after car is hot.

I haven't had the back of the car start bouncing yet, but I'm probably going to change the rear shocks next. They're still original. My perforated heated/cooled seats are starting to break down a little. Small cracks between some of the cooling holes on the bottom. I priced those, OEM leather bottom replacements are fairly $$. Undecided whether I'm going to go OEM yet or just toss on some seat covers.

My rear hatch struts haven't been able to hold the hatch open when cold for a few years. The auto open works, but the struts start giving and jacking down the hatch and the annoying beeping ensues. I may get new struts. For now when it's cold I keep a proper length 1x1" wood stick back there to prop it up and just manually open it when it's cold. Engine starts up and purrs perfectly. It's had the tell tale slight lifter rattle for many years. I have noticed I probably have to change the oil cooler lines on the passenger side. There's oil seeping under there. It's not a bad leak and I barely have to top it off, but there's for sure an oil leak over there. Not sure if it burns off or what, as I don't see any oil in the driveway, but the engine on that side is wet with oil a bit.

Mileage as of this morning is 215652. She shows no signs of giving up and I regularly run the interstate commute 15 miles or so to work at 85mph give or take.

Yes, I am HARD on my vehicles, and that's a testament to this vehicle for sure. I sold my 2005 RX330 with 220K on it. Guy from Baltimore that bought it ran it (last I heard) past 300K. He did have to change a cracked radiator coolant overflow reservoir last I heard from him after he was starting to overheat at 250K or so and found a crack in the coolant reservoir.

I should add that my Lexus had the tow/prep package on it and I added a Drawtite hitch in 2018. Friend helped me install and we cut out the sound shield/deadening plastic back there nicely for the hitch. I've pulled a 1600# pop up loaded with camping gear, and a #2700 pound pontoon, pretty handily through the hills of WV and PA on numerous occasions with no troubles. In fact, when I moved the pontoon out of my mom's driveway where I had it stored last year, it was down at an angle and I had to hook up and get it with the rear tires in wet grass and a pretty good hill. I was worried I would slide or tear up her lawn a bit. Nope. Power apparently shifted to front wheels, which were on pavement or something because pulled it straight out like a champ with no lawn damage and wasn't even working hard.

People can cry and complain and tell us these cars are boring. They haven't driven with me. I know it's limits, I push them, and fling this car around, and it comes back for more. 145K miles later of MY driving should tell you something about how tough these puppies are.

I just pulled the history on Lexus of the 2008 RX350 I'm eyeing. 151K. $7500 out the door with a temp tag and Ohio's stupid dealer fee. It's had 18 full synth oil changes AT Lexus. There's a 3 year gap I guess with the 2nd owner where it wasn't serviced by Lexus, then back to a different Lexus dealer for the last three years, including their 10K mile full syth service in April of this year at 148K. Had an leaky oil cooler line replaced in 2015 (so I'm assuming it probably has the same tow prep package m), and my 2010 does, "bank 1 sensor" was replaced at 54K in 2012. Other than that and some complaints about the TPS lights (lol, all Toyota's have this in common) and some new brakes, rotations and tires seemingly every 3-4 years, the history is unremarkable and it appears WELL maintained by Lexus. Including pre-paid oil changes for a good long time of it's first half of life or so. It's pretty too. Very similar to my blue. It does NOT have the nav though, and one thing I'm upset about is apparently the 2008 has bluetooth phone but not music. So there's modules that can fix that though. I don't care about the Nav. Mine has nav and I don't use it. And the stereo interface, where you can't leave it on stereo display, is asinine. I do like that the 3.5 is a timing chain and I don't have to have anxiety about changing belts. I've had the Toyota 3.0 several times and several 3.3s though, and they all ran well over 200K without even a belt change. I may have gotten lucky. I wouldn't try that with a Subaru or Honda motor, but Toyota parts quality is just second to none. I also have yard and mechanic connections and have had engines and trannys changed out and parted out cars before (GM, VW and Volvos, never Toyos.) so I am guilty of really pushing required maint. intervals. Do NOT try this with a 4.7L iForce Toyota engine. I've had several friends wreck their engines by not changing belts. And honestly, I probably would do belts now in a high mileage 3.0 or 3.3 Toyo if I bought another, but I have a guy who will do belt changes for $350 now.

Anyway, that's my RX story. I could tell you about other Toyota's and 3.5s I had, but this is a Lexus board. In summary, I abused them and they take it and keep coming back for more. Cheers.

Last edited by mcgervey; 11-01-23 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-01-23, 02:51 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,108 Likes on 946 Posts

Mcgervey - you have had great luck with your RX. There are 2 things you mentioned that I think should be addressed sooner rather than later.
The oil leak you mentioned. Since you have the tow package, that means you have the OEM rubber oil cooler lines that are infamous for leaking, failing and causing sudden engine failure when they burst on the highway. Here are links to some threads on the subject.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...eplacment.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oler-pipe.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ne-recall.html

The second issue are your worn rear hatch struts. They are making the motor work harder which may lead to the hatch lift motor failing. A few members have had this issue. After market rear hatch struts are about $25 each from Strongarm. https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/year-model-search/
Old 03-18-24, 09:14 AM
nmehta211
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Update to this thread:
finally crossed 200k (202k now). Treated the car to a new set of tires (4th set) and oil change/coolant exchange.

Car has been solid, only unscheduled repair was a camshaft position sensor at 112k.

We reserved the new Rivian R2. Hopefully this car can extend to 2026.

Quick Reply: Who Has the Highest Mileage on their Gen3?