RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dealer Ignored Wind Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 09:42 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Excessive Wind Noise?

Sup CL gang! I've been noticing a tremendous amount of wind noise going 70+ on the highway. My car only has 18K over a course of 4 years. The only the possible think I can think is the seals have dried because of standing in the sun for so long at school and then not getting garaged when I get home, my mom's and dad's car get priority. It used to be garaged when it was my moms. I don't think the sun can dry out the seals so quickly. What do you think???
Thanks in Advance
-MjThind
Old 03-16-13, 10:38 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Oh ya it is a '10 RX350...
Old 03-16-13, 11:00 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think seals could be part of the challenge -- I condition mine every few months as a preventive measure and never had wind noise with my 2006 RX400h over the almost 8 years I owned it. It's fairly obvious, but I'll assume nothing is caught in the channels and you've checked the windows go all the way up as they should, right? Sorry -- had to ask, but I had the problem on my BMW with one window not quite going up into one of the seals all the way and the seal itself had become somewhat deformed as a result over time. It caused both and increase in cabin noise and water seepage, so it's worth a very careful inspection all the way around each one if you've not done that with a flashlight. There have been Gen3 threads here in the past with the cross bars on the roof possibly causing some of that noise especially if not installed in the correct direction. Besides what people respond to here, do a few searches, you may dig up some more ideas in the archives. Good luck!
Old 03-16-13, 02:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Check the second PDF in the first post of this thread. It is a TSIB concerning excessive wind noise. If your RX is one of those affected, the dealer will install acoustical glass.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-16-13 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-16-13, 06:51 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am amazed at how quiet my 2012 RX-350 with the acoustic side windows is. I do have a rattle from my cargo area(probably the cargo pull shade). I'm sure there's a fix for that.I'll search the threads.
My son's 2004 Camry is as quiet as when we bought it new,so I doubt the weather stripping is to blame in your RX.
Old 03-19-13, 02:01 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
I am amazed at how quiet my 2012 RX-350 with the acoustic side windows is. I do have a rattle from my cargo area(probably the cargo pull shade). I'm sure there's a fix for that.I'll search the threads.
My son's 2004 Camry is as quiet as when we bought it new,so I doubt the weather stripping is to blame in your RX.
I agree, the cargo shade can make some noise.
Old 03-19-13, 03:07 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Thanks guys!!! I printed recall sheet, so the dealer knows I actually know whats going on...
Old 03-19-13, 03:26 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Two Rx350's that i had test drove had lots of wind noise coming from the driverside roll down window near the top by your head. I think the weather stripe might have had something to do with it.
Old 03-21-13, 07:47 PM
prmdc1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took my 2010 in last week for the same issue. They called and said that they were ordering new seals and it is covered.
Old 04-15-13, 04:22 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Default Dealer Ignored Wind Issue!

Sup CL gang! So a couple weeks back I went to the dealer to get an oil chage and get my wind noise issue checked. They told me nothing was wrong. I even told him the '11 RX loaner didn't have as much wind at 70-75 MPH, he wouldn't listen. He insisted nothing was wrong so I went home, I was already ticked off at a previous comment he made, so I didn't argue...
So you guyes tell me. I took 2 videos of the problem so is there a lot of wind noise???
Thanks in Advance
-MjThind

Last edited by MjThind; 04-15-13 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 04:30 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Sorry about the video quality, I thought the iPhone 5 recored in HD...
Old 04-15-13, 06:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

It "sounds" louder than my '13 and more like road/tire noise vs wind noise. Do you happen to have Dunlop tires? Frankly, without a reference point, I may have my PC speaker volume too high so really inconclusive.

Re-do your video, running your turn signal for a few seconds to create the sound reference point . Then re-post so we can better compare to it.
Old 04-15-13, 07:00 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It "sounds" louder than my '13 and more like road/tire noise vs wind noise. Do you happen to have Dunlop tires? Frankly, without a reference point, I may have my PC speaker volume too high so really inconclusive.

Re-do your video, running your turn signal for a few seconds to create the sound reference point . Then re-post so we can better compare to it.
No Dunlops, swapped out for all season Pirelli Scorpion Verde's 300 miles later when my mom bought the car for herself, she gave me the car with the Verdes...
Will do tomorrow...
Old 04-16-13, 12:20 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on the tires? Even quiet tires get loud over time. The '11 you drove my have had newer tires.

You probably don't want to hear this, but if the dealer didn't take you seriously, you may need to enlist the help of your parents. It shouldn't matter, but reality is it's hard for a teenager to get the attention of any car dealer/service center. If he wouldn't even send a tech out on a 10 minute test drive with you, there's a respect problem in my opinion. I've had noise issues in other cars and a test drive has always been the first recommendation of the service advisor.

Is the vehicle in your name or your parents? Does the service advisor think you're driving your parents car or does he understand this is actually your vehicle. I know it sounds lame, but the registered owner is going to get a higher level of service.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-16-13, 07:40 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I believe iPhone has a sound level app. Check how many dB of noise you get in your vehicle and compare to a loaner. Without proper metrics, it will be very subjective.

Quick Reply: Dealer Ignored Wind Issue!