RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

how do i lock doors with engine running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 07:30 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default is there a way to lock the car with engine running and no fob inside?

i saw a kid do this this morning with a nwer dodge charger. got me wondering if we can do this?
Old 11-03-16, 08:05 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Not with Toyota products! My Chevy's and Nissans with keyless igntiions all did this just fine! Not with my RX-350, ES-350 or my dad's RAV4. And yes it's perfectly safe and secure. You can't drive the car without the fob inside. Depending on the car brand it will either stop the engine when you hit the brake, shift out of park or prevent you from shifting out of park if the key FOB is not present. No way anyone can drive off without the FOB. Saves a ton of re-starts when you're popping in and out of stores especially in the cold weather.

You can just use the mechanical key on Toyota products but it's a bit more tedious and you will have to re-start the car when you get back in it.
Old 11-03-16, 08:19 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

You certainly can drive the car without the key fob present. It will run until it's shut off or it runs out of gas. But to the OP, I believe you would have to use the mechanical key and lock on the outside of the door to accomplish this.
Old 11-03-16, 08:36 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Open the door, press on the door sensor button to imitate door being closed, press lock button on the door, release the door sensor button and close the door.
You will need to use the mechanical key to open doors after the fact. And yes, one can drive off without a key. Otherwise, if the battery in your fob was weak, you could be stranded unexpectedly.
Old 11-03-16, 08:40 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

^^ Good to know... thanks..
Old 11-03-16, 10:11 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

My reference to not being able to drive off in the car without the fob was an obvious reference to the more advanced system in the Chevy and Nissan cars after they are remote started. The archaic system in my Lexus vehicles does indeed allow you to drive off without the fob, leaving you exposed to being down the road (or up the creek) with no key (paddle).
Old 11-03-16, 11:02 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
My reference to not being able to drive off in the car without the fob was an obvious reference to the more advanced system in the Chevy and Nissan cars after they are remote started.
No new car I have driven work like this. Once the car is started, the key does not have to be present. Granted I haven't driven any really new Chevy or Nissans recently. Mostly German cars with keyless fobs and a few Ford rentals.
Old 11-03-16, 11:33 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
That explains why I could not lock my RX 350 the other day. I thought I had my key but I did not. My wife was in the car with hers and the car started when I pushed the button. (Still not realizing I did not have my key) We got to a restaurant and left my wife at the door and I then parked, I got out but could not lock the car with button on the door handle nor could I lock it with the button on the arm rest inside. Then I realized I didn't have my key and looked all over thinking I dropped inside. Finally gave up and went inside the restaurant got my wife's key and locked the car.
This is a surprisingly easy thing to do! I get used to never having to think about the key fob because it almost never leaves my pocket. I've had 2 similar experiences (slow learner?). My lovely daughter in law would call this a "First World Problem".
Old 11-03-16, 12:03 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

My buddy's BMW can be locked and unlocked via the door handle while it is running.
I had him do this twice because I couldn't believe it did that. Both Lexus and Audi disable key fob operation once the engine is on.
Old 11-04-16, 07:07 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
My buddy's BMW can be locked and unlocked via the door handle while it is running.
I had him do this twice because I couldn't believe it did that. Both Lexus and Audi disable key fob operation once the engine is on.
thats how this kid did it on his charger too...
Old 11-04-16, 03:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't consider Chevy and Nissan cars more advanced. Actually not too smart if it allows you to lock the car while the car is running and you are not inside the car.

I guess each car manufacturer wants to please it's own customer base which may be biased based on what the car manufacturer's Pont of view what it's customers want.

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
My reference to not being able to drive off in the car without the fob was an obvious reference to the more advanced system in the Chevy and Nissan cars after they are remote started. The archaic system in my Lexus vehicles does indeed allow you to drive off without the fob, leaving you exposed to being down the road (or up the creek) with no key (paddle).
Old 11-07-16, 07:18 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I don't consider Chevy and Nissan cars more advanced. Actually not too smart if it allows you to lock the car while the car is running and you are not inside the car.

I guess each car manufacturer wants to please it's own customer base which may be biased based on what the car manufacturer's Pont of view what it's customers want.
To each, their own. Toyota tailors their products for a very broad customer range, most of which want an "appliance" that just runs.
To protect the brand, they need to avoid exposure due to user error. Hence why many options are locked-out, no put intended, from the user.
That's why I can change navigation settings while driving in my Audi, but not in our Lexus.
Whether something fool-prof is considered to be advanced, depends on the point of view.

For the colder climates, being able to lock a car while it is running is a great to have feature. My BMW buddy does it all the time.
I used to do this to my '85 Toyota too, which had a broken ignition lock actuator. It's great for integrating a remote start feature, as an aftermarket remote would not be needed to unlock the car.
Old 11-08-16, 12:36 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
To each, their own. Toyota tailors their products for a very broad customer range, most of which want an "appliance" that just runs.
To protect the brand, they need to avoid exposure due to user error. Hence why many options are locked-out, no put intended, from the user.
That's why I can change navigation settings while driving in my Audi, but not in our Lexus.
Whether something fool-prof is considered to be advanced, depends on the point of view.

For the colder climates, being able to lock a car while it is running is a great to have feature. My BMW buddy does it all the time.
I used to do this to my '85 Toyota too, which had a broken ignition lock actuator. It's great for integrating a remote start feature, as an aftermarket remote would not be needed to unlock the car.

Probably not a problem if you have remote start. Just shut the car off, lock it, then restart it with the remote.