RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Max Water Fording Depth ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 06:41 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Max Water Fording Depth ?

Just curious I know the RX isn't a real SUV to take off road and not, but does anyone know what's the max fording depth for those flooded city streets? I can't seem to find it in the RX's manual.
Old 10-30-12, 08:04 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
Just curious I know the RX isn't a real SUV to take off road and not, but does anyone know what's the max fording depth for those flooded city streets? I can't seem to find it in the RX's manual.
Ground clearance is 7.3", Lexus does NOT provide wading water level for its vehicles, LR and VW Tuareg have numbers published in their manuals-I assume RX is not meant to be in anything deeper then 8-9" for more then few seconds...
but you never klnow how deep the water is going to be until you get in there...Lets see if any one else can provide better info.
Old 10-30-12, 11:59 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My advice; never drive into any standing water. Water depth can change unexpectedly and you can hit submerged items. Unfortunately, my son learned this lesson the hard way in a flash flood in AZ when he ran over something that punched a hole in his oil pan and ended up ruining the engine in his car all for nothing.
Old 10-31-12, 07:27 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Ground clearance would be the number to use, as you don't want any water getting up into any engine parts. The hard part is determining how deep the water is, as all water is flat on top. "Still waters run deep."
Etc.
Old 10-31-12, 12:32 PM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
My advice; never drive into any standing water. Water depth can change unexpectedly and you can hit submerged items. Unfortunately, my son learned this lesson the hard way in a flash flood in AZ when he ran over something that punched a hole in his oil pan and ended up ruining the engine in his car all for nothing.
Similar thing happened to a coworker of mine who made a u-turn in some standing water because it was getting too deep. He ramped a small curb and he ran over what must have been an old sign post that was cut near its base. The result - an instant flat tire. Stay away from standing water!!!!
Old 10-31-12, 03:43 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, guess 7.3 inch is the max depth or better yet try to avoid deep water all together incase of debris.
Old 10-31-12, 09:08 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by triplecore
Thanks, guess 7.3 inch is the max depth or better yet try to avoid deep water all together incase of debris.
After the hurricane here I first watched a Murano driving through the water, and only then made it throuh myself.

If you are patient, there almost always will be some one else trying to get through...

***When I drove LR2 I did not need to watch Muranos or anything else because LR specified 20 in. wading water. The battery was under the windshield, and alternator almost on top of the engine. If only it was as reliable as Lexus...
Old 11-01-12, 06:25 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Good plan.
When approaching standing water of an unknown depth, pull to the side and see what happens when someone with a lower threshold of boredom plows into the water. If his car washes away, bottoms out, or bursts into flame, turn around and find an alternate route.
Let's call that the Darwin theory.
The following users liked this post:
gmilburn (05-20-21)
Old 11-04-12, 03:13 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tfischer
Good plan.
When approaching standing water of an unknown depth, pull to the side and see what happens when someone with a lower threshold of boredom plows into the water. If his car washes away, bottoms out, or bursts into flame, turn around and find an alternate route.
Let's call that the Darwin theory.
Highly unlikely to "burst into flame" in deep water...At least I have not seen one after the hurricane...the cars do not make good swimmers...
Old 12-17-17, 08:15 AM
Paul6hms
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Wading depth

I see a lot of people trying to find the Wading depth limit for their cars. A basic rule is to search under your bonnet to find the air intake. Follow the pipe from where you would fit the air filter, to the front of the car. It's either ends at the grill of the car somewhere or they can be under the wheel arch, which is more awkward. If you find it in the grill then measure from the ground up and take off up to 12" to allow for the bow wave. And to drive at about 2/3 mph. Have fun (as & when) I've done this dozens of times up to about 12" to 18", as my air intake is about 24" up.
Hope this helps.