Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water deionizer

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 11:07 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Water deionizer

Any body use a water deionizer or water softener in their home for washing their car? I was thinking of getting a portable water deionizer because my water softener broke and I don't know that I want to spend a grand on getting a new one.
Old 08-15-18, 05:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

CR Spotless is one of the more popular DI filters on the market. I have the DIC-20 unit myself and it's awesome for car washes.
Old 08-17-18, 02:23 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
CR Spotless is one of the more popular DI filters on the market. I have the DIC-20 unit myself and it's awesome for car washes.
How many washes can you get out of it based on your experience?
Old 08-17-18, 07:34 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
I think that depends on how hard the water is.

Was looking at putting one together based on this video, doesn't look too bad.

Right now where I am the water isn't too bad, but then I try to dry off the vehicle with a leaf blower fairly quickly.
Old 08-18-18, 06:58 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Any body use a water deionizer or water softener in their home for washing their car? I was thinking of getting a portable water deionizer because my water softener broke and I don't know that I want to spend a grand on getting a new one.
I use soft water when washing mine with good results. I bought a softener from ohiopurewater.com a few years back for $550 and can't recommend them enough. They have great tech. support and very helpful on any questions you may have. You don't need to spend a grand on one to get a good replacement.
Old 08-20-18, 09:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
As mentioned, it depends on how hard your water is and how many gallons of water you use per wash.

Use this calculate to estimate how many washes you can get out of the system. It's recommended to use a pressure washer with a max flow rate of 2-2.5 gallons per minute. Alternatively, you can use a typical garden hose nozzle set to the "flat" setting.

https://crspotless.com/how-many-washes/

Last edited by GSteg; 08-20-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 10:08 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by ultimase

Was looking at putting one together based on this video, doesn't look too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dts5Bdt8QEA
I don't recommend that setup. While the price looks enticing, there are a lot of drawbacks with that system. For one, it's very low output. He has one sediment filter (useless for the most part) and one DI filter. You need to load up both with DI filters and even so, you're limited to 0.5-1gpm. Unless your tap water is really good, the resin will be exhausted pretty quickly and you'll end up changing the resins a lot more frequently (no one likes changing it!)

I build that system long ago and while it does work, I grew frustrated with the abysmal water flow. Get the largest system you can afford and don't look back. Even the CR Spotless medium-output (DIC-10/DIW-10) holds more resin than the setup above.

Old 08-22-18, 05:39 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350

Dude.. think about your house.. nevermind washing your damn car.

Stop being cheap and get that ish replaced. Soft water will keep your other household costs down for appliances, water coolers, fridges, etc.