RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Do all dealer charge for these items?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 03:13 AM
2013rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do all dealer charge for these items?

We were picking up our RX, the sales person passed us off to the accessories person. She went on to try to sell us film for all 5 windows including the 3 in the back with colored glass for 650.00, OK, I can understand that it does not come with film but it's already colored, why buy the film?? We did get the 2 front windows done, we over paid but we were going to be there to get the door molding stated below installed.

The kicker was we had to pay for the door moldings to keep from getting door dings. $400.00 for 4 pieces of plastic that stick on the car, come on. I have never bought a vehicle where these were not included. Is this normal do all dealers charge for these on the RX?
Old 10-07-12, 04:29 AM
saz25
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013rx
We were picking up our RX, the sales person passed us off to the accessories person. She went on to try to sell us film for all 5 windows including the 3 in the back with colored glass for 650.00, OK, I can understand that it does not come with film but it's already colored, why buy the film?? We did get the 2 front windows done, we over paid but we were going to be there to get the door molding stated below installed.

The kicker was we had to pay for the door moldings to keep from getting door dings. $400.00 for 4 pieces of plastic that stick on the car, come on. I have never bought a vehicle where these were not included. Is this normal do all dealers charge for these on the RX?
The answer is yes, these are all dealer add ons. It's best to say no to each and every add on. They are almost always over priced.

I just tell the accessories person not to waste his time because I'm buying nothing. Be firm and strong.
Steve
Old 10-07-12, 06:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Door molding was removed on the 3rd gen RX and is now available as an add on. Too bad you didn't check here first. You could have purchased them for $100 from one of the CL vendors and put them on yourself or at a body shop for much less. I don't get re-tinting the rear windows Oh well, enjoy your RX. Sounds like you got a sweet deal otherwise.
Old 10-07-12, 07:21 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

The question posed should not have been whether all dealers charge for this stuff (surely not), but should have been: are all new buyers gullible and ill-prepared to deal with time-of-delivery dealer offers. Almost anyone in sales will try to sell you a little something extra, and when they sense weakness, they move along to the next offer, and the next.
As Kitiz says, too bad you did not check here first (not to mention that there are car buying forums and other places that discuss procedures and tactics for closing the deal on a new car).
I don't particularly blame the salesman so much as I feel sorry for the buyer who thinks "we had to pay" $400.00 for door moldings, apparently still under the impression created by the salesman that moldings were mandatory.
Consider it tuition toward the shoppers degree from car college.
Old 10-07-12, 12:32 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is what I would recommend on future purchases. Finalize your deal on the car; then ask the dealership to throw in the moldings for free. As others have mentioned these moldings are available in the $100 range from Sewell's; so dealer cost is very reasonable. I can guarantee that they will toss in the moldings for free to move the deal along. It is not a big issue and it doesn't hurt to ask. When you are shopping for the car, just carefully go through the accessories list and know what you might want before you start negotiating.

If you don't think the $400 was fair, go to Sewell's. Create a membership and enter your ClubLexus ID (this will get you the discounted price). Go to the moldings page. Print out the actual cost (remember there will be a small shipping charge). Take it to your dealership and tell them that you feel they took advantage of you on the moldings and ask if they will rebate some of the $400 back ($150 seems reasonable). If you don't want to do this, don't feel bad. Until I saw the low price, I would have expected them to be much more also.
Old 10-07-12, 09:39 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
Here is what I would recommend on future purchases. Finalize your deal on the car; then ask the dealership to throw in the moldings for free. As others have mentioned these moldings are available in the $100 range from Sewell's; so dealer cost is very reasonable. I can guarantee that they will toss in the moldings for free to move the deal along. It is not a big issue and it doesn't hurt to ask. When you are shopping for the car, just carefully go through the accessories list and know what you might want before you start negotiating.

If you don't think the $400 was fair, go to Sewell's. Create a membership and enter your ClubLexus ID (this will get you the discounted price). Go to the moldings page. Print out the actual cost (remember there will be a small shipping charge). Take it to your dealership and tell them that you feel they took advantage of you on the moldings and ask if they will rebate some of the $400 back ($150 seems reasonable). If you don't want to do this, don't feel bad. Until I saw the low price, I would have expected them to be much more also.
I had my good laugh for the day. Dealers make lots of money for add ons, that's the way the industry is set up. If the buyer was pressured to buy these knick knacks that is his/her problem, they could always have said no. Since there is no 'cooling off' period for vehicle sales the chances the dealer is going to rebate money on a completely legitimate sale is between 'nil' and 'none'. You can try if you want but you'll look like a ninny doing so. My advice is to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on, next time you'll be wiser.
Old 10-08-12, 08:24 AM
2013rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I had my good laugh for the day. Dealers make lots of money for add ons, that's the way the industry is set up. If the buyer was pressured to buy these knick knacks that is his/her problem, they could always have said no. Since there is no 'cooling off' period for vehicle sales the chances the dealer is going to rebate money on a completely legitimate sale is between 'nil' and 'none'. You can try if you want but you'll look like a ninny doing so. My advice is to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on, next time you'll be wiser.
My Thoughts exactly, This was my first Lexus purchase, shame on me for not investigating enough to know that the dealer charges for body side moldings. I guess I assumed that if you buy a 45k vehicle the Damn body moldings would be on the car.

Oh well I'll know next time, All in all I'm very impressed with the car and the dealer experience. Now I need to decide wether I want the dealer to do the service or another shop.
Old 10-08-12, 08:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

2013RX, you have time to decide whether you want the dealer to service your RX. Your first two services are free so take advantage of those before you consider departing ways. Toyota is another cheaper alternative for everything except warranty repair. On the other hand if you do stay with your dealer, it may pay off in the end. I've stuck with mine for the past 14 years and received my share of freebies and discounts. But you have time. For now I'd suggest cracking open the owners manual to figure out what personalized settings you want changed, if any. Here is a quick link from the FAQ thread on top of this forum. BTW, your test on the manual is next Thursday
Old 10-08-12, 08:39 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just trash them in the survey. they absolutely need that. of course make sure u don't go back there after as they would blacklist you
Old 10-08-12, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by saz25
The answer is yes, these are all dealer add ons. It's best to say no to each and every add on. They are almost always over priced.

I just tell the accessories person not to waste his time because I'm buying nothing. Be firm and strong.
Steve
+1 on that.