RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

ride comfort

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 02:12 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ride comfort

I read on kbb that 2010 rides a little harder then 2009 is that true?Also i know this is a lexus forum but does the rx ride softer then every other suv under 50000$?I have mdx now and it rides to hard over ruff roads.
Old 06-07-12, 02:29 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There were changes made to the back end suspension when the 2010s came out, and I was told that helped with the ride (just the reverse of what you read), as well as there is a little more space inside the rear cargo area given that redesign that used to protrude even further up inside above the wheels. I'll let someone else that knows the specifics comment further.

Last edited by BertL; 06-07-12 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-07-12, 03:18 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

http://www.kbb.com/lexus/rx/2010-lexus-rx/
Old 06-07-12, 03:28 PM
BertL

I suggest you ride in each and then decide for yourself. It's interesting what KBB says, but I at least don't always agree with reviews -- no matter where they come from and especially the smaller snippet versions. Its just one more data point to me. I wont try to further defend my initial reaction, but perhaps others can, except to say when I drove a 2012 (which is similar to 2010), it was noticeably and almost immediately better in both handling and "the ride" compared to the 2006 I'm still driving (more like the 2009) suspension-wise.
Old 06-07-12, 03:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The reason for what KBB said is likely because of the availability of 19" wheels on the 2010. I have heard complaints about the ride on the 19s.

If you're worried about the ride, be sure to get the 18s.
Old 06-07-12, 03:37 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by SW10ES
The reason for what KBB said is likely because of the availability of 19" wheels on the 2010. I have heard complaints about the ride on the 19s.

If you're worried about the ride, be sure to get the 18s.
Good point. Could be an apples to oranges comparison wheel-size. OP, there are other recent posts about the 19" wheels if you're interested -- pros and cons, as well as some folks switching out tires and changing pressure to help with the ride on their 19s.
Old 06-07-12, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

My guess is they had a tester that had 19s, or they just synthesized all the other reviews and owner comments to come out with that review.

The 19s look awesome, but if I bought one I'd get the 18s.
Old 06-07-12, 04:17 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You absolutely need to go down and drive the RX yourself. Of CRITICAL importance is to drive the RX on your local roads and form a conclusion. IMO, the car is not like some luxury cars that can soak up any road surface. Some types of roads can appear harsh in the car. Of equal importance are the tires and their pressure settings on the car you are driving. Some of the tires that come on new RX's are junk and degrade the ride quality unnecessarily. Tire pressure can also change the nature of the ride. If you are test driving a 450h, you can read the individual tire pressures in the small info display screen in the center of the instrument cluster. I think Lexus went for a sportier and stiffer handling vehicle with the RX and this resulted in a rougher ride quality. I'm thinking of just pulling the junk tires off of my 450h even though they are like new.

To be objective, I should mention that there is an upside to this stiffer/sportier ride. When you need the handling, the 450h will surprise you with it's ability to quickly respond. Not a characteristic that I use every day, but it seems to provide a little measure of safety in avoidance maneuvers.

For me, the ride quality is a little disappointing. The problems for me are freeway driving on some surfaces. I use the car almost entirely around town and it serene and comfortable on those roads and speeds. But like I said above, I may swap out my tires and that may make a big enough difference to improve my view of the car. I have 19" wheels with the Dunlop tires. If you buy a 450h, don't take delivery of it with the Dunlops. I can't comment on the other two brands of tires offered, but I suspect they are not the greatest either.

I don't feel that there is a big difference in the ride quality between my Subaru Outback and my 450h in terms of ride comfort. It cost a little more than half of what the 450h cost, it can soak up almost any road surface FWIW. So I know there are good ride alternatives under $50,000 or even around $30,000.

Last edited by UCSB; 06-07-12 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 04:35 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

19's on Michelins and I have trouble understanding the whole harsh ride thing. I came from a GMC product with 6 ply truck tires and it was a tad harsh but that was okay as this was a truck and not my grandfathers Caddy or a sofa in my basement.

My ride is plush but yet still responsive. Let some air out for a softer ride. Yes your tires will wear quicker but that is the price to drive a Lazy Boy. Go drive a Q5 or a ML350 and come back and say how brutal the ride is.
Old 06-07-12, 04:44 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Thx guys for insight.will take your advice and buy onw with 18 inch wheels and not sport package.Looking forward to more insight.
Old 06-07-12, 04:50 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
I read on kbb that 2010 rides a little harder then 2009 is that true?Also i know this is a lexus forum but does the rx ride softer then every other suv under 50000$?I have mdx now and it rides to hard over ruff roads.
the RX rides softer than the Mercedes ML 350, especially on rough roads and potholes.
on a Freeway.. a smooth freeway.. the RX, ML 350 and even the BMW X5 are comparable in terms of "Softness".

i never test drove an Acura, but i'll take your word about it's hard ride.
Simple rule is this, the sportier the SUV, the firmer will be the ride since you as the driver has more connection to the road, more feedback on your steering wheel, sportier suspension etc.

When the SUV is designed for comfort ( Softness) there's a lot of isolation from the road.. just like any Lexus.
Old 06-07-12, 05:08 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

yes thats what iam looking for, soft ride on city streets
Old 06-08-12, 06:28 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I have 19s and I think the ride is fine, but then again all my other rides have sport suspensions and compared to those this one rides much smoother.
Old 06-09-12, 04:23 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can tell you after driving a loaner 2012 RX for a whole week while my '10 RX is being repaired, there is a noticeable difference, to me anyway, in how these two cars drive. The 2012 RX has been so much nicer than my '10 RX, as far as soaking up imperfections in the road, and bumps and such; along with being more quiet as far as road noise. And the loaner RX has the 19-inch wheels, so it can't be that. I thought originally that that might be the problem when I drove a loaner a while back that had 18's on it. But this loaner with the 19's proved me wrong. Drives like night and day from my vehicle.
Old 06-09-12, 03:50 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I can tell you after driving a loaner 2012 RX for a whole week while my '10 RX is being repaired, there is a noticeable difference, to me anyway, in how these two cars drive. The 2012 RX has been so much nicer than my '10 RX, as far as soaking up imperfections in the road, and bumps and such; along with being more quiet as far as road noise. And the loaner RX has the 19-inch wheels, so it can't be that. I thought originally that that might be the problem when I drove a loaner a while back that had 18's on it. But this loaner with the 19's proved me wrong. Drives like night and day from my vehicle.
Did you notice the tire pressure and/or which tire they were using?

Quick Reply: ride comfort