RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

ride comfort

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 01:26 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
Did you notice the tire pressure and/or which tire they were using?
Not sure about the tire pressure setting, but the loaner car has Michelin Latitudes, and my RX has Dunlops.

Maybe I should check the pressure on the loaner and compare with mine whenever I get it back??
Old 06-11-12, 02:15 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ I suspect most of the difference you noticed is the tire setup. Here are some stats:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=CSTAS

Tires can really make big differences. The Michelin Latitude Tour HP's should have been noticeably better. Top ranked tires will be even better than the Michelins. I think I will put a little money aside for a few months and just pull the Dunlops off of my car. The Bridgestone's are in this table if people are wondering about them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=HAS

Last edited by UCSB; 06-11-12 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-11-12, 06:19 AM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I can tell you after driving a loaner 2012 RX for a whole week while my '10 RX is being repaired, there is a noticeable difference, to me anyway, in how these two cars drive. The 2012 RX has been so much nicer than my '10 RX, as far as soaking up imperfections in the road, and bumps and such; along with being more quiet as far as road noise. And the loaner RX has the 19-inch wheels, so it can't be that. I thought originally that that might be the problem when I drove a loaner a while back that had 18's on it. But this loaner with the 19's proved me wrong. Drives like night and day from my vehicle.
Glad to hear (not really glad) that someone else has experienced a less then perfect ride. Your post is the perfect statement for my experience. I have the RX 350 2010 loaded with EVERY option and love it, but am disappointed in the ride. I have the 19" wheels. I drove one, bought a different one. After 5000 miles changed the Bridgestones to Michelins and the ride improved, BUT I have driven loaners that ride better. Lexus rep has driven it twice, cannot do anything. Taken it to 3 dealers to check issue, they find no problem. Finally gave up and reduced air pressure to 30PSI. I paid too much for this Lexus to trade it in so I will run it and get the Dunlops the next time. What could be wrong? Shocks? Suspension? Tires?
Old 06-11-12, 06:29 AM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

I just went to the tire table posted by UCSB and see the Pirelli's rank the highest. OK, scratch the Dunlops and give me the Pirellis next time. Thanks for the tire table.
Old 06-11-12, 06:40 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a research on Toyo Versado CUV tires. I swapped junky Bridgestones last November with these, and this made a huge difference. Tire rack does not carry Toyos for some reason, but TR reviews are not the deciding factor for me. IMO, these should be standard on RX, as they were clearly built specifically with RX in mind.
Old 06-11-12, 07:46 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I can tell you after driving a loaner 2012 RX for a whole week while my '10 RX is being repaired, there is a noticeable difference, to me anyway, in how these two cars drive. The 2012 RX has been so much nicer than my '10 RX, as far as soaking up imperfections in the road, and bumps and such; along with being more quiet as far as road noise. And the loaner RX has the 19-inch wheels, so it can't be that. I thought originally that that might be the problem when I drove a loaner a while back that had 18's on it. But this loaner with the 19's proved me wrong. Drives like night and day from my vehicle.
i thought 2010 and 2012 had same suspension?I was talking about 2009 vs 2010 because i know they changed suspension and design in 2010
Old 06-11-12, 08:05 AM
jclem
Pole Position

I'm pretty sure the suspension in the '10 thru '13 are the same. I had an '07 (same as the '09) which had rear struts. I had a '10 and now a '12 which have a wishbone suspension. In my opinion, the ride comfort from the '07 to the '10 and '12 was noticeably better. Granted, I've never driven a Rolls, but for me, the lexus has been the most comfortable car I've ever been in.
Old 06-11-12, 08:11 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jclem
I'm pretty sure the suspension in the '10 thru '13 are the same. I had an '07 (same as the '09) which had rear struts. I had a '10 and now a '12 which have a wishbone suspension. In my opinion, the ride comfort from the '07 to the '10 and '12 was noticeably better. Granted, I've never driven a Rolls, but for me, the lexus has been the most comfortable car I've ever been in.
Ok so you think 2007 had better ride then 2010.Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 06-11-12, 08:21 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You may want to check out this thread. Some of us believe there are differences in at least the 2012 and 2013s to the springs (but we're still working out specifics) for those with 19" wheels to improve the ride.
Old 06-11-12, 11:22 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nightdiff
Ok so you think 2007 had better ride then 2010.Thank you for your thoughts.
No, you misunderstood my statement. Just the opposite---the newer versions with the wishbone suspension ('10-'13) are better than the older. In my opinion
Old 06-11-12, 01:31 PM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

lower the tire pressure is all I can do until I get more tires.
Old 06-11-12, 09:16 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jclem
No, you misunderstood my statement. Just the opposite---the newer versions with the wishbone suspension ('10-'13) are better than the older. In my opinion
See, I feel the opposite is true in my situation. I came from driving an '07 RX for four years to getting the
'10 RX in July of 2010. One of my issues right from the getgo was the bumpy ride compared to my '07 RX, not to mention how the '10 RX exhaust note was somewhat louder and, to me personally, annoying. I figured Lexus was trying to give the RX a little more sport, but it never really worked for me. So could it be the tires? Could it be the 2010's had firmer springs? The mystery continues. Now, this 2012 loaner RX that I'm driving(still haven't gotten my '10 RX back, the part is still on back order) has been a pleasure to drive, kind of reminding me of my '07 RX a little bit as far as ride quality, not as much road noise, a little more quiet on the exhaust note. I kinda don't want to give it back when the time comes.

On a somewhat lighter note, I find it a little funny that if I was driving any lesser make or model of a vehicle, such as a Nissan or Chevrolet and had to be without my car going on over a week, I'd probably be going nutty, 'cause they would have probably stuck me with some cheap little rental car to get by. But, alas, I'm just going about my merry way driving an RX loaner that seems to be even nicer than my own Lexus; no having to miss time from work to deal with these issues. My Service Advisor just tells me to keep the loaner until my car is ready. (LOL!) I guess you can't really beat that.
Old 06-12-12, 04:01 AM
jclem
Pole Position

EMS, I would look into a tire change. Not only do the Michelins handle better and last much longer (according to Tirerack), but many seem to feel that they ride better. My '10 came with Dunlops, but I got the dealer to swap them out for Michelins and I made sure my '12 had Michelins. Just a thought...
Old 06-13-12, 06:32 AM
Howard2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
I read on kbb that 2010 rides a little harder then 2009 is that true?Also i know this is a lexus forum but does the rx ride softer then every other suv under 50000$?I have mdx now and it rides to hard over ruff roads.
I only can tell my experience. Comparing old and new RX, the new RX suspension is harder, but give me a sense of security and comfort. My wife loves it too. On the hightway, the new RX is surprising quiet too.
Old 06-14-12, 07:51 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Default ride comfort

Ok i tested drove the 2009 2010 2012 all for 10 mins each over bumps in road and manholes.Then i drove them all over again.The 2009 is much softer and thats what iam going to buy.I did not notice difference between 2010 and 2012 both seemed too ruff for me.Thanks for everyone thoughts,i just cant see how people think the new model is softer?Also how come there is no site that test ride comfort?All these sites and magazines test performance.Then you get guys opinion on ride.

Quick Reply: ride comfort