RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Intelligent High Beams Gone on 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 11:08 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to miss my AFS, that's for sure. Will have to take a couple night rides before my RX400h is traded-in.

For broader info on "what's changed" on the 2013, head over to my new post just now. I think it will bring you a lot of insight as it did me.
Old 05-19-12, 12:12 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Not Gone

I found them, you just wount find them in a dealers showroom on the east coast. I went to "build your car" and entered an LA zip code (90001) just for s***s & grins. Then I entered the $7709 option pkg and there they were. Look at the bottom and 3rd from bottom option http://www.lexus.com/configurator/#/...up=RX%20Hybrid and you'll see them. That tells me that if you ordered your car with that package, you might be in luck. But the lights will be HID rather than LED. I don't see that as a loss at all but..... I'm not you and I know you want the LED's so... Hope it works out for you.
Originally Posted by BertL
I'm going to miss my AFS, that's for sure. Will have to take a couple night rides before my RX400h is traded-in.

For broader info on "what's changed" on the 2013, head over to my new post just now. I think it will bring you a lot of insight as it did me.

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-19-12 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-12, 12:28 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default LA Zip 90001 options

Here's a snip of the entire options pkg for the 2013 RX450h in LA zip 90001. And 2nd is the top of the page. Then the 3rd is my zip code here in GA and only one option pkg that seems to have everything including the Heads Up Display. So if you want all the ammo to use on your dealer, do the "build your own car" in different zip codes and print them out before going in to keep him honest.
Attached Thumbnails Intelligent High Beams Gone on 2013?-2013-450h-awd.jpg   Intelligent High Beams Gone on 2013?-top-of-page.jpg   Intelligent High Beams Gone on 2013?-30041.jpg  

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-19-12 at 12:40 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-19-12, 10:03 PM
gqscholar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Comfort Package is much cheaper on the 2013 so it all balances out
Old 09-18-12, 10:08 AM
Riversair
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UGH!! I just saw this post. I miss my automatic high beams in my 2013.

Does anyone else notice some things...lexus is getting cheaper?

For instance, my 2008 model had lighted door sills, now only available in the luxury package

My 2013 also has the no wood in the backseat cup holder.....for the first time in at least six model years, they removed this!

Granted, I LOVE my RX...but some things they change I think just to save a few bucks
Old 09-18-12, 10:51 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Riversair
...but some things they change I think just to save a few bucks
I agree there were a few things that were done to probably save money (Removal of auto high beams didn't bother me as I would never have used the feature, but other things like removing the flaps from the tonneau cover on the 2013 still irks me -- especially when my truck has the connectors on my rear seats and nothing to plug into them).

Not defending Lexus, but we also didn't see a substantial YTY hike in MSRP even with a few new goodies that were added in (eliminating things is one way to do that I suspect.) Most interestingly to me, elimination of some features (if we like their decision or not) actually passed fairly substantial savings onto consumers, e.g. the 2013's optional HID and LED headlights (and packages they are in) are several hundred dollars lower in price because there is no AFS and Auto High Beam this year, and there was a near 50% drop in price of the Mark Levinson audio upgrade for those that want it. I was pretty happy about paying less out-the-door for a 2013 than I would have with a 2012, as I have the LED and Mark Levinson upgrades on my RXh.
Old 05-08-13, 11:51 AM
rkarlberg
Driver School Candidate

Default Lost a lot in 2013

Just got a new 2013 F Sport yesterday - after waiting many months. The dealer was shocked when I didn't want to buy the white base model they had on the lot. No, I said, I want black, and I want all the cool features - fully loaded.

Well, I'm happy overall, but lost quite a few features. No side camera, no AFS or auto high beams (that was a great thing to have), no heated steering wheel, no adjustable seat length. I probably should have stayed with my 2010.
Old 05-08-13, 01:29 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkarlberg
Just got a new 2013 F Sport yesterday - after waiting many months. The dealer was shocked when I didn't want to buy the white base model they had on the lot. No, I said, I want black, and I want all the cool features - fully loaded.

Well, I'm happy overall, but lost quite a few features. No side camera, no AFS or auto high beams (that was a great thing to have), no heated steering wheel, no adjustable seat length. I probably should have stayed with my 2010.
This is so true. I somewhat regret buying 2013 new RX350 instead of Used 2010 RX450H for almost the same money. . In A Way, the New 2013 RX350 feels like common Cars from Toyota
The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (07-12-23)
Old 09-30-13, 07:04 AM
JDH
Driver School Candidate

Default loss of intelligent high beams on my 2013 RX

While driving at 4 am in very light traffic, I noticed that my "auto" high beams did not work. I found the answer in this forum. They have been deleted from the vehicle offering.

The intelligent high beam operation in my previous 2010 RX was superb. They turned on and off the high beams exactly how I would have done it manually. It was the finest intelligent high beam system I can remember.

I feel cheated as I was not told that this feature had been eliminated. What is a luxury car without intelligent high beams?

I guess I'm stuck as I have a 3 year lease on my new Lexus.
Old 09-30-13, 07:08 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDH
While driving at 4 am in very light traffic, I noticed that my "auto" high beams did not work. I found the answer in this forum. They have been deleted from the vehicle offering.

The intelligent high beam operation in my previous 2010 RX was superb. They turned on and off the high beams exactly how I would have done it manually. It was the finest intelligent high beam system I can remember.

I feel cheated as I was not told that this feature had been eliminated. What is a luxury car without intelligent high beams?

I guess I'm stuck as I have a 3 year lease on my new Lexus.
Did you also notice that the high beams are not Xenon anymore? At least on my 2013, the high beams seem to be performed by the inner bulbs on the headlight assembly, which are halogens. My understanding is that the pre-2013 had bi-xenon lights.
Old 09-30-13, 07:54 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE my auto high beams. They works so well on dark suburban roads. Between that and the original lack of remote trunk opening on the GS I wonder about Lexus. Is it because they're saving money or just oversights? I'd rather pay for options that are useful. Or, does it mean I keep my 2010 RX for long time and just replace the other car?
Old 10-01-13, 07:25 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Very much enjoying this with my 2010 RX350...

- Bi-xenon HID
- AFS system
- Auto High Beam
- HUD
- ML audio
- Headlight washer
- 19" wheels
Old 10-01-13, 07:29 PM
corkycc
Driver School Candidate

Default Intelligent High Beams gone on 2013

I can confirm they are gone. We did not realize it until we bought the 2013, it is horrible for a vehicle like this to not have them. I love them on my 2012!
Old 10-01-13, 07:36 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by konradsa
Did you also notice that the high beams are not Xenon anymore? At least on my 2013, the high beams seem to be performed by the inner bulbs on the headlight assembly, which are halogens. My understanding is that the pre-2013 had bi-xenon lights.
No, the pre 2013 were not bi xenons.

I personally dont find them at all useful. I never really need high beams, and if I do, I find that they dont work well. I like the newer systems that actually adjust the brightness of the highbeam based on distance instead of the instant on and off
Old 10-01-13, 08:28 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see them listed on the new GS either. I wonder if other companies are discontinuing it. It used to be on the BMW 5 series. Could my Lexus allegiance be fading?

Quick Reply: Intelligent High Beams Gone on 2013?