RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New tires on the RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 07:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts
Default New tires on the RX450h

I went ahead and replaced the Duelers at 16.5K, I could have squeezed a little more out of them. But they were declining rapidly and not worth keeping. Starter tires once again So after doing some research I decided to go with the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. First impression after a few miles, the ride quality is definitely better. Bumps are well absorbed. The true test will have to wait until next week, a daily commute with twists and turns, some crappy roads, and railroad tracks.
Attached Thumbnails New tires on the RX450h-tire.jpg  
Old 03-30-12, 08:42 PM
dnkyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW... Only 16.5 K miles. I wonder how many on my Michelin?
Old 03-31-12, 03:03 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow Anita!! I just had my 30,000 service and still have my original Dunlaps. They told me that I should start to consider new tires for my next service. They quoted me $1081 for the Dunlaps and $1355 for the Michelins. (19 inch wheels) Both quotes include all taxes and fees, balancing, and a 4 wheel alignment.

Keep us posted. I have about 5 months to decide what I am going to do.
Old 03-31-12, 03:20 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Blazing a trail down the road less traveled in the Michelin-Dunlop-Bridgestone debate Anita brings in yet another contender. We'll be waiting for your first review after you've racked up some miles. Now I would have gotten them for the cool name on the sidewall, but I'm sure your report will be more quality aware.

No green caps on the valve stems? They didn't pump that in as part of the deal?

Bob, at 28,000 I couldn't hear my radio over the noise of the Dunlops. It was good to get rid of them.
Old 03-31-12, 03:29 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Anita
I know you're feeling safer now with your new shoes . Keep us informed as you put on the miles on how they do.
Old 03-31-12, 06:19 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really impressed on the specs (relative wear) on the Pirelli per the Tire Rack site. The Pirelli should last
40 K + miles. On Tire Rack (viewing OE tires vs. the Pirelli and Yokohama), the specs are:
Pirelli 600 A A
Yokohama Spec-X 420 A A
Michelin OE 440 A A
Dunlap OE 280 A A
Bridgestone OE 260 A A

I sold my Bridgestone tires after 300 miles and replaced with the Michelin OE, after reading the reviews of the Bridgestone OE tires.
Old 03-31-12, 06:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

David, I had to throw the Pirellis in the mix to drive (pun intended) everyone crazy

The one negative I found on the OE Michelin Latitudes was tire wear. Too many reviews with less than stellar mileage. The few reviews on the were positive. Like Jim pointed out, the specs are better overall in that category as well as others. And a few dollars less too. I have typically stayed away from OE tires in the past so this is par for the course for me.

Another interesting note, the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes are 'green' tires and supposed to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. Seemed to fit driving the 450h. I'll report back later when I put a few more miles on them.
Old 03-31-12, 07:30 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I love to hear your report on the new tires. Did you have your wheels chromed? It looks much nicer in the pic than mine.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-12, 08:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

GoHuskers, I've only driven a few miles on the Pirellis so far but it's a night and day difference. I have the alloy rims with the superchrome finish. They're part of the sport package and have a slightly darker finish than the standard alloy ones.
Old 03-31-12, 10:58 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

key to quiet and long service life is proper rotation and correct PSI. as long as its not a directional tires, I follow "zigzag" rotation and I have 37k on my Bridgestone OE with about 50% + tread still left. I will eventually replace before end of this year but I could not be happier with OE Bridgestone. Most of the miles are on hwy but still impressive considering the UTG is only 260. I have gotten some really good service life with OE tires from various brands except for all the vehicles that came with directional tires and stagger setup.
Old 03-31-12, 12:52 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anita

You pulled a fast one. I was hoping you were going to go with the Yoko's so you could report on those. I am interested in how quiet your tires are, the ones you bought. I have the Michelin's now and I am looking for a quieter tire, if that is possible. I will be following your review.
Good Luck
Thanks for being the Guinea pig.
Old 03-31-12, 03:15 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Blazing a trail down the road less traveled in the Michelin-Dunlop-Bridgestone debate Anita brings in yet another contender. We'll be waiting for your first review after you've racked up some miles. Now I would have gotten them for the cool name on the sidewall, but I'm sure your report will be more quality aware.

No green caps on the valve stems? They didn't pump that in as part of the deal?

Bob, at 28,000 I couldn't hear my radio over the noise of the Dunlops. It was good to get rid of them.
I also started having a noise problem that I wrote about months ago. I always ran my tires 2-3 pounds over the recommended pressure. When I took them back to the recommended 34 pounds the noise abated, although the mileage when down slightly.

I think I am the one and only person on this board that has had good luck with the Dunlops. I doubt that I will get them again, simply because I just can't imagine my luck continuing!!!
Old 04-01-12, 05:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sorry about that MEP. I thought I was going with the Yokohamas. Loved the look of them. But they also had mileage issues. For the money the Pirellis were the best choice for me. I will keep everyone updated.
Old 04-01-12, 06:25 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick question Anita: where are the Pirelli tires manufactured?
Old 04-01-12, 08:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by kwbuggy
Just a quick question Anita: where are the Pirelli tires manufactured?
According to the code on the sidewall, they were manufactured in Britain.

Quick Reply: New tires on the RX450h