RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New tires on the RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 08:09 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dunlops do suck, and I can not wait to put on another set. Lexus should never have put crap like that on the 450h
Old 07-17-12, 09:40 PM
chubbly
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to go with the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. I never noticed the role a pair of quality tires could have on a vehicle. I'm definitely excited to be getting rid of Dunlops! Thanks again.
Old 07-18-12, 03:42 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbly
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to go with the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. I never noticed the role a pair of quality tires could have on a vehicle. I'm definitely excited to be getting rid of Dunlops! Thanks again.
I'm pretty sure you're going to be pleasantly surprised. Like I said, I only replaced two of the Dunlops, and it's already making a difference. I am surprised that you're having to replace them at around 20,000 miles though. I'm at just over 30,000 on my RX, and the service tech said they're still in good shape. I can't wait to replace the other two when the time comes. I was thinking I'll need the other two in another 8,000 miles. Good luck with whatever tire you pick!
Old 11-20-12, 10:20 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Anita, just wondering if there is more update on the Pirelli Scorpion tires? how does it do on bumpy road and gas mileage after 6 months of running? I am considering replacing the OE Michelins to improve ride.
Old 11-21-12, 01:25 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbly
Tires are a critical component of any vehicle's suspension. A quality set of tires can make all the difference on the ride, quietness and comfort of your vehicle when compared with a weaker selection.
Old 11-21-12, 03:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by wilchan
Hi Anita, just wondering if there is more update on the Pirelli Scorpion tires? how does it do on bumpy road and gas mileage after 6 months of running? I am considering replacing the OE Michelins to improve ride.
I'm still enjoying them after 5K miles. The Pirellis are confident on bumpy roads. I feel like I'm riding higher too. Mileage is the same to slightly less than before but I'm fine with that. They weigh more than the OE Dunlops so it's to be expected. Next week I get them rotated for the first time and will find out how they're wearing.

How many miles do you have on your Michelins? They're supposed to be good. The Pirellis will firm up the ride if that's what you're looking for.
Old 11-21-12, 08:27 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Hello Anita, I only have ~500 miles on Michelins and is now running at 31psi. I feel the ride is still bumpy on rough surface, but definitely not bouncy now after reducing it from 34 psi. I am exploring option on next set of tires that can absorb bumps better. Maybe I should give a bit more break in time on tires and suspension?
Old 11-21-12, 07:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by wilchan
Hello Anita, I only have ~500 miles on Michelins and is now running at 31psi. I feel the ride is still bumpy on rough surface, but definitely not bouncy now after reducing it from 34 psi. I am exploring option on next set of tires that can absorb bumps better. Maybe I should give a bit more break in time on tires and suspension?
I'd keep them. The Michelins are very good tires. In fact I wanted them on my 450h. When I took delivery, I asked the dealer to switch the Dunlops with the Michelins but there weren't any RXs on the lot with them. If the Pirellis weren't available, I probably would have gone with them.

I should mention I have the sport suspension so the ride is different. Not mushy gushy for sure, LOL. So when I say the Pirellis are firm, it might be too firm for you. But they do absorb bumps well IMO. I'd have to drive an RX with the Michelins to make an accurate comparison.
Old 11-21-12, 09:01 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Thanks Anita your review and info are very informative and useful
Old 11-24-12, 06:27 PM
UTAS
Driver

Regarding OE Michelin Latitude tires, I have an RX450h with 35+K on those tires, and the tread wear is about 6/32" remaining on the front and about 7/32" on the rear (have not rotated them since the 25K mile service). It appears I should get at least another 10K before changing them out. I'll go with Michelin Latitude again. Quiet, nice ride, and very good 28 mpg average.

When I bought the car new, the salesman was adamant that the OE Bridgestone tires were the best and was not inclined to honor my request for Michelin; I nearly walked away from the deal, when his GM stepped in and okay'ed the Michelin tires - it's simply a better tire.

Michelin's Green-X technology helps greatly with the MPG, as well. I have experience with an Avalon that had OE Michelin tires and then I changed to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity to save a couple hundred bucks - bad move, b/c the latter decreased MPG by about 15% and were noisier overall and had flat spots after parking in cold weather. MHO: Never again for Bridgestone.

FWIW.
Old 11-27-12, 05:56 PM
BradC
Driver School Candidate

After suffering through the excessively noisy and quick wearing OE Dunlops, and doing some research, settled on Scorpion Verde over all others. Replaced @ 29K miles. After 6 months and 7K miles, they are great - significant improvement over OE. Used simpletire.com -- they shipped directly to my neighborhood auto repair shop at a good price.
Old 01-05-13, 10:48 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Hello,

I have an 08 and need to replace all four soon. Does anyone know how these Verde are compared to the Michelin MXM4? I don't drive on snow anymore. How are they in normal dry and wet driving? I'm always happy with the Michelin but was presented with these Verde. I looked into them and they seem to have very high rating and good reviews even better than the Michelin.

Please share your experience.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-13, 11:48 AM
dennison17
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Status on Pirelli's

Any updates on how those Pirelli's are riding and wearing? I will need to replace my Dunlops sometime this year. I'm not all that happy with wear, but the ride is "okay"... not exceptional. I won't be going with Dunlops for replacements , and I'm leaning on the Pirellis (vs. Michelins.)
Old 01-07-13, 02:59 PM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

Hi, Just curious. Just purchased my new RX450H 2013 and the tires are Bridgestones. Any pros or cons on this brand?
Old 01-07-13, 03:05 PM
dflowers
Driver School Candidate

My 1 month old 450h also has Bridgestones. No issues for me after a whopping 500 miles. Tires do not seem real loud and handling seems fine for our driving habits. When I replace them I might get a better rain tire. Pacific Northwest you know.....

Quick Reply: New tires on the RX450h