RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 06:53 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking Brake

On page 150 in my '012 manual, it mentions using your parking brake when parking.

Who uses their parking brake????
Old 12-20-11, 07:45 PM
jblazing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not me, unless I'm on a really steep incline.
Old 12-20-11, 08:03 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people who drive a stick, park on hills or overly safe and **** drivers.
Old 12-20-11, 09:00 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

I always used my parking brake.. maybe because I've alway lived in a hilly area and drove a manual.

What's wrong with using it?
Old 12-20-11, 09:56 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use it all of the time. I live in the hills here is the San Francisco bay area. I set it before taking my foot off of the brake and so my car does not roll back on the transmission.

Isn't this the forum where the new RX rolled down the hill and was totaled (thread with pictures) when the owner didn't set the parking brake?

Found the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...011-rx350.html

Picture of RX: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4431155_n.jpg

Last edited by UCSB; 12-20-11 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-20-11, 09:57 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Not a thing I guess. Around here where it is so flat you can watch your dog run away..... for 3 days not much reason for it.
Old 12-20-11, 11:32 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

You should make it a habit to use the parking brake when parking. I do because I live in SF, but even if you dont, it is bad to have the whole car's weight on the parking pawl
Old 12-21-11, 05:26 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for finding this thread. It was on my 'to do' list. I'm sitting here thinking about the comments about not using the parking brake and then wondering how many of these cars we could sell if it became optional.

There is a limit how much the transmission parking mechanism (pawl) can handle, especially over repeated use over time. And why does the manual state it should always be used, not just on hills but always ???

It's like seat belts with me. I'm buckled before starting the car, and the parking brake is always set as the tranny is placed in park. Even in my garage. It's a good habit.

I wonder what my insurance company USAA would say if MY car rolled downhill even if the car was proved to be in park and struck a pole or another car or injured someone and the parking brake was not engaged ??? They'd probably cancel me.

Originally Posted by UCSB
I use it all of the time. I live in the hills here is the San Francisco bay area. I set it before taking my foot off of the brake and so my car does not roll back on the transmission.

Isn't this the forum where the new RX rolled down the hill and was totaled (thread with pictures) when the owner didn't set the parking brake?

Found the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...011-rx350.html

Picture of RX: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4431155_n.jpg

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-21-11 at 05:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-11, 05:54 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by InRBigness
Around here where it is so flat you can watch your dog run away..... for 3 days not much reason for it.

Thanks for the chuckle

Originally Posted by Cruiter

There is a limit how much the transmission parking mechanism (pawl) can handle, especially over repeated use over time. And why does the manual state it should always be used, not just on hills but always ???

It's like seat belts with me. I'm buckled before starting the car, and the parking brake is always set as the tranny is placed in park. Even in my garage. It's a good habit.

I wonder what my insurance company USAA would say if MY car rolled downhill even if the car was proved to be in park and struck a pole or another car or injured someone and the parking brake was not engaged ??? They'd probably cancel me.

[/FONT]
Some good points given here to use your parking brake.
That's probably the reason Lexus mentions it in the manual.
Old 12-21-11, 06:43 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

I noticed that I have to depress my parking brake almost all the way to the floor on my 3 months new 2011 RX350 in order for the car to not roll at all. Is this normal or is an adjustment needed for the car to be stopped way before the parking brake pedal reaches the floor?
Old 12-21-11, 07:12 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

There actually is a "right way" to use the parking brake when parking on an uphill incline:

1) Keep your foot on the brake
2) Place the car into NEUTRAL
3) Engage the parking brake
4) Place the car into PARK
5) Take your foot off the brake

This way, it reduces the stress on the parking pawl holding the car in place on an incline.

Because of the slack in the tranny on an uphill incline , you feel the car roll back slightly after placing in PARK.
If you then put on the parking brake after, the stress is still on the tranny.

Happy Holidays !

Last edited by NJLEXES; 12-21-11 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-21-11, 05:55 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I use my parking brake all of the time. Maybe it just became a habit when I had a stick Corvette. But the thread got me thinking. With regards to a transmission pawl, what about the CVT in the 450h?
Old 12-21-11, 06:27 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but how many malfunctioning transmission pawl do you hear failing????
Old 12-21-11, 06:28 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Above my paygrade. I'm gonna just assume it works similarly and keep using my parking brake
Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I use my parking brake all of the time. Maybe it just became a habit when I had a stick Corvette. But the thread got me thinking. With regards to a transmission pawl, what about the CVT in the 450h?
Old 12-22-11, 06:48 AM
Viognier
Driver School Candidate

I use it only when parking on an uphill or downhill street.....that's how I recall being taught in driving school. Never even thought of using it on a level parking surface. Thanks for the perspective.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake