RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Urgent! Need Help. Instrument Panel light won't come on

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 02:28 PM
ITAngel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent! Need Help. Instrument Panel light won't come on

Hi All,

I am new this site and I am really hoping someone can give me a little help.
I have a Lexus 2010 RX450 and I have no instrument panel lights when I am driving
at night. I was working on something and took the panel off underneath the driving wheel
and when I was putting the plugs back I made a mistake I plugged the gas panel switch with the instrument panel dimmer switch. I corrected this by swapping the two plugs back but now
I have no instrument panel lights. If I put on my day time running lights, I can only see on my instrument panel screen is that it states: Instrument Panel Cluster, light to dark and nothing else. I also checked all fuses nothing was blown.

Can someone, anyone give me anysight on my issue?

-Angel
Old 12-15-11, 05:15 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Guessing games, ooooh I love 'em.

Perhaps one of the panel light dim/brighten switches is stuck, contacts toasted or polarity reversed?

You still have them mixed up?

Try unplugging the switches one at a time and see what happens.

Sorry, not much insight....I did indicate I was guessing!!!
Old 12-15-11, 05:27 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If the car was off when you plugged it the wrong way, then chances are no harm done. Even if you turned on your car, I'd assume no harm done. The engineers wouldn't place two identical connectors adjacent to each other if it was dangerous. (Actually they shouldn't be placing identical connectors next to each other--it's stupid.) The plugs were designed to avoid mistakes during assembly. Focus on the obvious: is everything firmly plugged in? I'd unplug and replug, and triple or quadruple check your connections again.

If that doesn't work and you don't get any other insight from fellow CL members, then diconnect the battery for a few minutes and hope that resets whatever chip controls the IP lights. And if that doesn't work, then it's off to the Lexus dealer. Good luck.

JB
The following users liked this post:
Tony29 (04-08-23)
Old 12-15-11, 06:29 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First step, check your fuses.
Old 12-15-11, 07:32 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that panel off when I put in my override for the Nav and all the connectors are just slightly different and not sure how you could have got them backwards. Make sure everything is plugged in properly, check the fuses. The car is multiplexed so that it can get power from may sources and there are redundancies built in. Use a meter.
Old 10-06-21, 09:14 PM
Uptown508
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ITAngel
Hi All,

I am new this site and I am really hoping someone can give me a little help.
I have a Lexus 2010 RX450 and I have no instrument panel lights when I am driving
at night. I was working on something and took the panel off underneath the driving wheel
and when I was putting the plugs back I made a mistake I plugged the gas panel switch with the instrument panel dimmer switch. I corrected this by swapping the two plugs back but now
I have no instrument panel lights. If I put on my day time running lights, I can only see on my instrument panel screen is that it states: Instrument Panel Cluster, light to dark and nothing else. I also checked all fuses nothing was blown.

Can someone, anyone give me anysight on my issue?

-Angel

I did the samething, stupid how they would use the same plug style for 2 different functions....how did you end up fixing ?
Old 10-07-21, 05:54 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,103 Likes on 941 Posts

These tips were mentioned in the thread above, beyond that, you may need a shop that does electrical work to track down the problem.

1. Check fuses and if you already checked them, do it again. Check owners manual to identify correct fuses, they are also listed inside the fuse box cover. The fuse box is under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.
There is another one in the engine area.
2. Disconnect battery for 10-15 minutes and hope it resets the system
3. If there is a relay it may have been damaged
Old 10-23-21, 06:50 PM
Emanrx85
8th Gear

Any luck with this? I have the same issue with mine - it happened after my attempt to install the Android Head Unit. I didn't unplug anything back there but after putting everything together the dash and interior lights stopped working. It will light up when I turn the stalk to DRL Off, but with headlights on or auto the whole cabin is dark.
Old 10-23-21, 07:10 PM
Uptown508
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Emanrx85
Any luck with this? I have the same issue with mine - it happened after my attempt to install the Android Head Unit. I didn't unplug anything back there but after putting everything together the dash and interior lights stopped working. It will light up when I turn the stalk to DRL Off, but with headlights on or auto the whole cabin is dark.

Forgot which fuse but it was in the middle section...it was blown and also had to replace the dimmer switch 👍
Old 10-23-21, 07:25 PM
Emanrx85
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Uptown508
Forgot which fuse but it was in the middle section...it was blown and also had to replace the dimmer switch 👍
Alright thanks for the tip, I'll take a look tomorrow.
Old 04-08-23, 02:21 PM
Tom999lexs
10th Gear

Having the same issue, you ever fixed it?
Old 04-08-23, 04:41 PM
salimshah

Received 1,001 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom999lexs
Having the same issue, you ever fixed it?
Start at the 12v battery.
Does the horn work?
Make sure the shifter is in the park.
Have some one stand behind and confirm the brake lights turn of when brake is applied.
Try another key.

Salim
Old 04-08-23, 10:59 PM
Tom999lexs
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Start at the 12v battery.
Does the horn work?
Make sure the shifter is in the park.
Have some one stand behind and confirm the brake lights turn of when brake is applied.
Try another key.

Salim
All of that works, measured all fuses, all ok, also in engine bay. The problem is really just the panel lights ln the centre console as well aswell glovebox light.
Old 04-09-23, 06:21 AM
salimshah

Received 1,001 Likes on 904 Posts

My bad, I thought the display is dead and you are unable to start the engine.
Just covering all possibilities ..
How about during Day vs Night.
There is setting for display intensity, make sure it is turned up. This is enabled and disabled based on light sensor on the dash in Auto mode and when you turn the headlights on/off in non-auto mode.

Salim