RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

oil maintenance light

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 10:28 AM
wes77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil maintenance light

my oil maintenance light keeps coming on at 5k miles even though oild change is suggested at10k with correct oil

is there a way to have the reminder set at 10k its getting annoying
Old 10-12-11, 12:56 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have the NAV system, you can go to settings/maintenance and change the frequency. At 1st the oil changes were recommended for 5k and it was set that way. You can change it there.

I'm not sure how if you don't have the NAV but maybe someone else can.

Originally Posted by wes77
my oil maintenance light keeps coming on at 5k miles even though oild change is suggested at10k with correct oil

is there a way to have the reminder set at 10k its getting annoying
Old 10-12-11, 03:25 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Unfortunately the oil maintenance light can't be switched to 10K. Maybe the newer RXs will have this feature The only thing you can do is reset it before the light goes on. It's simple enough, takes all of five seconds..

Display trip meter A, then turn power off.
While pressing the ODO/TRIP button, turn the power switch to on mode.
Keep the ODO/TRIP button pressed for about five seconds. Reset is complete when 000000 in the trip meter flashes once and the message in the multi-information display disappears.
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-09-18)
Old 10-14-11, 11:10 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a bit confused. (not a Senior moment) I thought that one only should do the re-set procedure Anita outlined above when the oil is changed. Can we/should we, or do we have to do it to clear the 5000 mile notification?
Old 10-14-11, 11:42 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

While parked, if you use your nav to go into settings/maintenance, you can change the interval from 5k to 10k so it doesn't keep popping up. If it's already appeared (5k early) you can follow Anita's outline to clear it.

When a normal maintenance is done, the tech should clear the reminder.

If you don't have nav, I don't know how to do it.
Originally Posted by cafpaf
I am a bit confused. (not a Senior moment) I thought that one only should do the re-set procedure Anita outlined above when the oil is changed. Can we/should we, or do we have to do it to clear the 5000 mile notification?
Old 10-14-11, 12:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I mentioned the reset instructions because I doubt anyone here needs a little light to tell them when to get their oil changed I asked the dealer to show me last time I was there at less than 10K. I have yet to see it come on. And next month I'll be going in for the 15K service with an oil change (it's almost a year since the last change), it'll be reset again.
Old 10-14-11, 07:13 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
I mentioned the reset instructions because I doubt anyone here needs a little light to tell them when to get their oil changed I asked the dealer to show me last time I was there at less than 10K. I have yet to see it come on. And next month I'll be going in for the 15K service with an oil change (it's almost a year since the last change), it'll be reset again.
I agree with you, you should know when an oil change is due. Some of the dealers will put a sticker in the front window as well as reset the computer. I make a point of memorizing when the next service or oil change is needed.
Congratulations on your promotion Anita. Your knowledge of the RX vehicles will assist many of us.
Cheers
Jim
Old 04-15-12, 06:18 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anita, 2 years agoI was thinking about a Lexus RX350 and went with the Acura MDX 2011..NOW IAM getting the RX (tomorow)....and I always enjoyed your posting..now I have a question...is the procedure that decribed above good to use even if the warning light goes on?...in other words can I wait until the light shows, change the oil or not (if it is only 5k mile checkup) and then do the procedure?.....thanks a lot for your insights...
Old 04-15-12, 06:41 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thank you svofan You can wait until the change oil light comes on or reset it before. I happened to be at the dealer that day just shy of 10k so no light was on. The tech reset it because I wanted him to show me how. The sequence doesn't matter. Also your first two services are free. It'll be a while before you need to change it.

Good luck tomorrow picking up your new RX. Be sure to post pictures.
Old 04-16-12, 06:42 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ...no thank you !!!!!!

Thanks for clarification and I do have another question....is there a special wrench to remove the oil filter or its cover?....I am getting my feet wet on this since i always did maintain my cars myself but it appears that the RX is somehow different when it comes to the oil filte...
Thaks again..
Old 12-28-12, 10:59 AM
jim350
Rookie

Unfortunately the oil maintenance light can't be switched to 10K. Maybe the newer RXs will have this feature The only thing you can do is reset it before the light goes on. It's simple enough, takes all of five seconds..

Keep the ODO/TRIP button pressed for about five seconds. Reset is complete when 000000 in the trip meter flashes once and the message in the multi-information display disappears.
Once again CL comes through! My oil maintenance reminder came on after only 5k miles since the last change. I used Anita's reset guidance to clear the message on my RX. Thanks!
Old 12-28-12, 11:16 AM
FamilyRX
Rookie

According to the 2013 Warranty and Services Guide, the maintenance reminder comes on every 5K miles to correspond with the factory maintenance schedule. Rotating the tires is listed at each 5K interval along with several inspections and resetting the maintenance light. The oil changes are every 10K unless the vehicle is driven under severe conditions, which make the interval 5K.

FamilyRX
(coming soon)
Old 12-30-12, 11:50 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

My dealer gives free oil changes so I'm happy to keep the 5000 mile interval.

I keep the 5000 mile interval on my other cars even though synthetic allows for more.
Old 06-10-13, 08:15 AM
alexnguyen
Driver School Candidate

Good info, thanks a lot!
Old 08-15-13, 01:16 PM
klmur
Driver School Candidate

Default Maintenance Message

I tried this on my 2012 Rx350 and nothing happened ..... have they done something to change the process? Both my husband and I tried ... so I know it isn't just me

Quick Reply: oil maintenance light