RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Smart Stop Feature Useful???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 05:33 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Stop Feature Useful???

The 2011 model is equipped with Smart Stop feature where the engine gets cutoff if the vehicle detects both the brake and gas pedals are pressed at the same time. I am curious as to how often this feature actually gets used? Why would anyone press the brake and gas pedal at the same time while driving? I have only seen this scenario in Hollywood movies where a good guy and a bad guy are fighting and struggling to take control of the wheel.
Old 10-04-11, 07:04 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
The 2011 model is equipped with Smart Stop feature where the engine gets cutoff if the vehicle detects both the brake and gas pedals are pressed at the same time. I am curious as to how often this feature actually gets used? Why would anyone press the brake and gas pedal at the same time while driving? I have only seen this scenario in Hollywood movies where a good guy and a bad guy are fighting and struggling to take control of the wheel.
when the driver is in a PANIC mode..everything is FAIR game.
i agree, 9 out of 10 drivers won't do this.. but for that 1 driver who will get confused when faced with an unfamiliar situation.
Old 10-04-11, 07:19 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
when the driver is in a PANIC mode..everything is FAIR game.
i agree, 9 out of 10 drivers won't do this.. but for that 1 driver who will get confused when faced with an unfamiliar situation.
Oh don't forget those folks with the size 14 double E feet that hit both pedals....

Been there, done that.
Old 10-04-11, 02:38 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds possibly dangerous both pedals were accidently bumped on busy interstate removing power steering/brakes & a confused driver didn't know to what happened or to place vehicle in neutral to restart
Old 10-05-11, 01:34 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb The trouble with forums....

....... let's read some FACTS before believing the assumptions already given thus far

As an added measure of safety, Toyota created the braking system enhancement known as Smart Stop Technology. This advanced technology automatically reduces engine power when both pedals are pressed at the same time under certain conditions.

Smart Stop Technology intervenes when the accelerator is depressed first (Figure 1) and the brakes are applied firmly for longer than one-half second at speeds greater than five miles per hour. (Figure 2)

In normal driving conditions, you won’t notice Smart Stop Technology as it is imperceptible. The feature doesn’t engage if the brake pedal is depressed before the accelerator pedal. This allows for vehicles starting on a steep hill to safely accelerate without rolling backward (known as hill start).

Toyota will install Smart Stop Technology in all new models by the end of 2010, making it one of the first full-line manufacturers to offer this braking technology as standard equipment.

http://www.toyota.com/safety/smart-stop-technology/
Old 08-06-18, 10:24 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Oh don't forget those folks with the size 14 double E feet that hit both pedals....

Been there, done that.

size 16 here , feel yah bro