RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Add Intuitive Parking Assist

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 06:01 AM
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% sure, I done it, all the parts are real parts order from the toyota factory...... the sensor ecu is the connector to the navi screen...trust me guys....... I do not want to say it again......first you need to find the front sensors wire, they are located near by the fog light... try to find it out.
Old 08-18-11, 07:02 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

164287356 - I have a question for you--are the locations for the holes marked on the back of the plastic bumper? What he said I believe to be true--in most cases Lexus / Toyota prewires their autos so most things are plug and play....to the best of my knowledge they are not like BMW where additional options have to be "programmed".. In Canada, we are only allowed to get the intuitive parking assist on either of the 2 top of the line "Ultra Premium" models where those in the USA can add it to even the base model--I believe it to be $500.00 USD as an option....I have had words with Lexus Canada about this but they claim that certain combinations of options need to be on the car for it to work--ya right just like on the US base model - I am not that gullible....if you have the navi - I believe adding what he told you to buy --will be fine...I will contact him once he returns from China because I too am curious about this but I do have the Ultra Premium but hate those seat extenders so next time I am not likely to buy this model--the seats look the same but feel very different! Aftermarket looks like crap and works the same way --why Lexus does not make this available as a package to buy at their parts counter is beyond me--guess they would rather their dealers farm this out to aftermarketeers who charge a fortune for their systems that do not intergrate with the navigation!!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 08-18-11, 12:13 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

I guess the next step is to find all those connectors behind the bumpers, and to the ECU. Maybe you will need to find a electrical wiring diagram manual for reference.
Toyota's are very easy to modify. I remembered helping my buddy to install a factory navi system on a '03 Toyota Matrix XRS, which was never offered as an option. It can be done, all the connectors were there, the hardest part was to find factory pins for the wire harness(didn't want to tap the wires). It looked so good, you won't be able to tell its an add-on.

Updates:
Just checked out the Wiring diagram, there are two different ECU for Park assist. One comes with the Ultra Premium(Canada) 'Park Assist ECU', which will controls everything, including the side mirror monitor. The other one for w/o Ultra Premium(Canada) 'Clearance Warning ECU', which only controls the ultrasonic sensors.

Last edited by wyau01; 08-18-11 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 07:38 PM
Rookie

Yes, there has the exactly location of the sensors on the back of the bumpers. The only thing I can tell you is that the North America cars' dealers( include all brand) are ****ing stupid. In China this is just piece of cake. In China, we can add the side camera, front cam are, auto flodding mirror for Lx570, and Rx serious. I agree with your opinion, the Intuitive parking assist is the most basic option on this car because all the models are pre-wire for two front sensors, and the rear sensors wire is pretty easy to change(the wire has two type-w/sensor or w/o sensor). But first I suggest everybody to check your ecu wire first. It was located under the passenger side, above passenger foot. You can simply take off the plastic cover and you will see there is a fake white plastic ecu in the real ecu's position with a wire connector. You need to buy the real one on the website I provided and replace the fake one, then connect with the pre-wire, after that, restart you car, you will see the Lexus Parking Assit option on navi screen in the setting menu.The final step is to connect the sensors. One more thing I need tell is do not believe the ****ing stupid dealers, they will never ever try to add a factory option to you, even though they know how to do it, but they still will not do it. I do not why, may be they are afraid of destory the parts of the car, maybe. I am just a student, and I do not have too much time to do this, so I only done for the sensors, if I have enough time and enough tools, I will try to done for the Head-up display. That is a big deal, but we are happy to do this.
The following users liked this post:
lee90s (01-03-23)
Old 08-19-11, 07:51 PM
Rookie

You only need to find out he front sensor wire, they are located on very simply position, you can easily find them just near the fog light, and try to find out been tied wire, the sensors wire is lonely been tied with another big wire, so it is very to be found. The rear wire is easy to connect because the factory sensors wire you bought is include the right rear side marker light and the sensors connect, please try to have a careful look at the websie I provided about the wire disturbute.(rear wire has the one w/sensor, and the one w/o sensor)
Old 08-19-11, 07:53 PM
Rookie

my email: ttttt333444@gmail.com
let us talk through email
Old 08-19-11, 11:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ lol you just have the easiest user names to remember dont you?
Old 08-23-11, 09:35 PM
dentate
Driver

164287356---if you have navigation, any many of the other items installed at the factory that are mentioned--do you still need to buy the ecu that only seems to have 2 different part numbers..89340-48010 or ...020? If you do need to buy it regardless of other options already present--how do you know which of the 2 part numbers to get?? Thanks...Please let me know when you have returned to Ontario and I wil give you a call!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 08-24-11, 08:33 AM
Rookie

I have navi, but I do not have side camera, so as the Lexuspartsnow shows, there are two kinds of parking sensor ecu, I bought the small one, You have to choose the type depends on your car's package. I do not know the packages in the US. In Canada, If the RX equipped with ML speakers and side camera(Ultra-premium I package and Ultra-premium II package), the car has the parking sensors. If not, the car does not have parking senosrs. My Rx with Touring Package(see it on Lexus.ca), so I need to buy the small one ecu. So, my guess is, you have to buy the bigger ecu, if and only if you RX equipped with side camera because the bigger is for the side camera system and it include the sensor ecu. (Generally, mot of us has the middle or low package, so that is why we want to add parking sensor function, then I think, you need to buy the small one, which is 89340A. You can see there are so many 89340A, does not matter, they are all the same.) One more important thing i need to tell you is that the parking sensor option is the only one function can be done by ourself
Old 08-24-11, 09:24 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just as a heads up for everyone, I have seen these sorts of "it's easy, it's plug 'n play" threads before. But usually it isn't as easy or straightforward as it sounds. It may work, or may not work. Don't get too excited until results can actually be achieved in actual use.
Old 08-24-11, 09:36 AM
dentate
Driver

I have to tell you that I have the Ultra premium 2 package on my 2010 but hate the seats and am unlikely to buy that model again--I find the non-extended versions more comfortable....so I am not really shopping for my current vehicle but possibly the 2013 which is to appear may-June 2012. I have the parking sensors and the side camera, the wonderful Mark Levinson system etc. Lexus Canada has also told me on more than one occasion that there needs to be certain packages (either Ultra Prem) to be present for it to work--to which i say is crap because the US versions - which go down the same assembly line in Cambridge and Japan can have them on even the base model!! I know the package content of your Touring model. Is there a reason that the side camera cannot be added after??

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 08-26-11, 05:32 AM
Rookie

Move the under cover on passenger side(above passenger foot, and you can see many ecus there), check there, if there has a wire connected with a fake plastic ecu(very easy to see), that means you can add the parking sensor because they are pre-wire. If not, just leave it. The side camera contents so many changes, I cannot do it myself, it has to remove so many things, so complicated. You always ask, why not have a try?
Old 04-03-14, 05:37 PM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to bring up an old thread, but Im always up for modding my new cars (Well used here) - I have the Premium Package for my 2011 RX350 and would love to add this to it - Can it be done?
Old 04-03-14, 06:52 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Surovich
Hate to bring up an old thread, but Im always up for modding my new cars (Well used here) - I have the Premium Package for my 2011 RX350 and would love to add this to it - Can it be done?
Maybe Lexus can, but at an after market shop for sure.
Old 04-03-14, 08:45 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone interested in this option might ask at a local body shop. The bumpers and sensors are one of the most commonly replaced items in a collision repair. The shop would have to understand the wiring and the sensors to do repairs.

Quick Reply: Add Intuitive Parking Assist