RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

After market DVD install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 06:22 PM
Kmkmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market DVD install question

Hi all,

I (by 'I', I mean my wife) am the proud owner of a new RX 450h. We had the dealer install a pair of Invision SL Headrest DVD players. I asked, but the dealer seemed to be under the impression that these players would NOT support output to the AUX channel on the factory head unit (Navi, no ML).

I certainly hope I can run the sound directly to the head unit AUX input as the FM modulator is crappy. I've got a station on all the preset freqs for the units (lots of stations low on the radio dial.

Any thoughts?

Kevin
Old 04-20-11, 04:47 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

Look under the seat. There should be a set of wires (red and white). These are the audio wires. If you have a "slave unit" it should connect sound to it via these wires.

What you'll have to do is buy a splitter cable. You can get them at Radio Shack for about three bucks. This takes one set of red/whtie wires and makes them into two. Reconnct the slave unit's audio to one set. Also available at Radio Shack is an "audio to Aux" converter (also around three bucks). Connect that to the other set of RF wires and route it to your Aux input.

Ta dah! and there you have it. I did it this way and the sound is way better than the FM modulator.

Here is a link to that Audio to Aux cable. I hope it works.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1
Old 01-30-12, 08:20 PM
TheRiz069
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,

so I was annoyed by the dealership stating that they could not run the aux wire, they claimed that it would make engine noise in the system. so I decided to investigate the ability to hard wire the system to my AUX port on the factory head unit. the INvision system has a control box somewhere in the car, the one they intalled in my wife's car was under the panel between the driver and passenger (the part where there is a hole for little things, there is a panel that comes off and the control module was there.

on that control module, there is an output for audio and video, the cable you actuall need is the 3.5 mm phono plug (male) on both ends. one end plugs into the control module and the other goes into the AUX port.

and viola it worked...now about the engine noise...yes there is ONLY if you dont have the DVD playing (like its on pause or stop) and you CRANK up the volume to about 30+ on the volume control. you hear it. if you even remotely turn on the AC or drive above 30 mph, the other noises cancel it out.

as soon as you start to play the DVD, the noise is drowned out by the volume. so is there noise, yes, but so little that at picky as I am, it didnt bother me. THere is a way to get rid of that noise, but it reuires some knowledge to take care of it. I can get into those details if you are really curiouse!

so anyway, no more FM transmitter and the audio sound Awesome when playing a DVD.

good luck and let me know how it turns out.