RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX Interior is beautiful

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 09:25 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX Interior is beautiful

I have the 10RXh and i got it because of Lexus reputation and reliability. I totally ignored all the recalls from Toyota/Lexus in the past two years because i think most of those claims are bogus.

Anyways, the fiancee has been a Toyota fan her whole life and i have been a Honda fan. My past two Hondas have been very good to me and thats why I thought of sticking to an Acura but the RDX is too small and the MDX is too big. We want a reliable family car that is safe, attractive, and practical because we plan to get married soon and then start a family. We want a car that is stylish for us both in the current moment and still stylish and practical when kids are here so an SUV is a no-brainer choice. She likes the Lexus RX and Toyota Venza. I really like the design of the Venza but the interior is nothing much to be desired but its a Toyota after all so can't complain. I didn't know much about the RX because my mind has been set on the BMW X5 for many years and I know that when i get my first SUV, it will be the X5. I love the way it looks on the outside with typical BMW family looks. But when we got serious into the car buying process, we started looking at pics online. Honestly the exterior of the RX did not really impress me at first. Although the front does look very good but the rear is just too bland. The side profile and overall shape is awesome though. Overall, i think it looks much better than the previous generation's. After seeing pics of the RX interior and eventually sitting inside one in the dealership and test driving it, the RX interior strikes me as being very stylish and the way the lines curve and move around the dash is striking. That makes the X5 interior seem bland and boring. I was then skeptical about the seats and for some reason i always thought German cars use better grade leather for the surfaces. I remember sitting inside an X5 years ago at an auto show and the interior was gorgeous with leather pads on top of seating surfaces and sun shades behind the rear seats. That could've been a top of the line X5 V8 or something with super duper package add-ons. I compared photos of the RX interior with X5 interior and I am glad I went with the RX. Since even before the actual purchase of the vehicle, I have begun to like the RX both inside and out and I think its one of the most beautiful SUVs on the streets, simple and elegant on the outside and simple but yet high tech on the inside. I am a tech geek so tech is very important to me. Also, being high-tech does not have to mean hundreds of buttons on the dash.

As of today, our final decision to buy the RX and forget about the X5 is totally justified and even though we paid more for a near top of the line RX and the money could've bought us an X5 also, we do not regret. At least I do not regret. As for me, I still give the X5 a glance everytime i see one. No doubt is it a beautiful car but when it comes to buying a car, a Lexus is just a better and smart choice over the BMW although both brands are just as prestigious.

Thats my story and thanks for reading. BTW I have 1400 miles on it now. Woohoo.
Old 01-05-11, 09:49 AM
JenBowes
Driver School Candidate

I couldnt agree with you more. I spent over a year researching every type of body style and interior I wanted and time after time after time I would just keep coming back to the RX. It just kept meeting all my criteria as well as was most asthetically pleasing to look at vs others for me personally. There were some close runners up, but I just fell completely in love with the RX and 3 months in, I still have no regrets or buyers remorse. I just paid the car off too so its really really mine now! WOOHOO! lol

Enjoy your new baby!!
Old 01-05-11, 09:54 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

yeah same here, the RXh has been paid off and i own it totally. as for the style, i think it will age very well.
Old 01-05-11, 11:07 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at several interior colors before I bought my 10 RX. My wife and I said that we didn't want black, but after I sat in the black interior, I knew that I had to have it. I know that it may be a little more difficult to keep clean, but I think that it is awesome.
Old 01-05-11, 11:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Glad to hear you're happy, ziggy. I've been in an RX so long that you would think I'm jaded. Quite the opposite. The 3rd gen is incredibly different than previous gens. Even I was overwhelmed with all the features and gadgets it has to offer. I can't really compare it to other vehicles since the RX has been the only car for me for the past 12 years. It will probably continue to be the only car for me for many years to come
Old 01-05-11, 11:35 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with you too ziggy. I am surrounded by BMW fans at work and none of them could believe that I didn't want to buy a new X3. But when I looked at the BMW interiors, I felt that they were blah, boring and not luxurious looking in the way Lexus interiors are. Even the BMW leather in my opinion isn't as soft as the semi aniline leather in our Lexus.
Old 01-05-11, 12:01 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

Interior looks great and is extremely comfortable. I don't do it often but riding in the back seat is nice too as you have plenty of leg room and reclining seats.
Old 01-05-11, 12:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

German leather for some reason is hard and grainy.

Anywhoo, I love the exterior of the RX, but Im not completely sold on the interior. I tend to like symmetry (and so did Lexus) but the swooping dash came out of nowhere.
Old 01-05-11, 01:39 PM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by cwd
ziggyziggy, the BMW is your boyhood dream car, I always think one should own their dream car even if it’s for a short period of time just to get it out of their system. Having said that, I don’t think the X5 would have make a good family car. The ride is rough and it is not rated as high as Lexus when it comes to reliability. BMW have been doing cost cutting in their built materials for years, its only recently that they start to improve their built material due to pressure from competitors. The German leather is harder, but they wear better, Lexus leather is usually softer, but they start to wrinkle after a few years, it’s all a trade off.
Bottom line is, BMW won’t make a X5 hybrid until next year and its price range will be well over $80000. You can pretty much buy a second car with the $20000 price difference and the thought of owning a German hybrid will gives me nightmares.

I chose the RXh over the RX mainly because it was made in Japan more than because its a hybrid. I just have the feeling that Japanese-built vehicles are more reliable but its only my opinion of course. Also, i am a tech geek and the RXh has more tech so that's another reason i went with the h. The RXh would've cost similar to a comparably equipped non-hybrid X5. I don't think i would ever spend 80k on a car...at least not the X5.
Old 01-05-11, 02:52 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also like the interior a great deal, except for the silver-colored radio dash area. The basic leather is fine, but the semi-aniline leather option is fantastic in my opinion. Mine came w/ the basic leather which to me is average and similar to the Acura MDX that I owned prior to getting the Lexus. I test drove a used 2008 Lexus RX 400h which had the semi-aniline leather option. It was butter-soft and a fantastic leather. Not sure the semi-aniline is worth the extra price, but I liked the semi-aniline leather a great deal more than the basic leather package. Can not beat all the high-tech electronic components. I just hope the mini-robot that soldered all those circuit boards was having a good day when it worked on my components.
Old 01-05-11, 04:14 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JimH2
I also like the interior a great deal, except for the silver-colored radio dash area. The basic leather is fine, but the semi-aniline leather option is fantastic in my opinion. Mine came w/ the basic leather which to me is average and similar to the Acura MDX that I owned prior to getting the Lexus. I test drove a used 2008 Lexus RX 400h which had the semi-aniline leather option. It was butter-soft and a fantastic leather. Not sure the semi-aniline is worth the extra price, but I liked the semi-aniline leather a great deal more than the basic leather package. Can not beat all the high-tech electronic components. I just hope the mini-robot that soldered all those circuit boards was having a good day when it worked on my components.
I agree and mentioned that a few times here.
Old 01-05-11, 04:28 PM
ejvette
Driver

I have owned both vehicles so I can tell you from 1st hand experience I can only describe the X5 as being the sportscar of SUVs the handling was superb there is nothing about the vehicle that I didn't like...that being said NEVER own a BMW out of warrantee the service costs will break the bank. The RX I would describe as the luxury car of SUVs being dependable I would have no hesitation owning this vehicle out of warrantee. I'm really into luxury quiet and smooth ride now and the RX satisfys all those aspects. BTW my wife and I both have RXs that's how much I like this vehicle lol.

Last edited by ejvette; 01-05-11 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 04:35 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggyziggy
I chose the RXh over the RX mainly because it was made in Japan more than because its a hybrid. I just have the feeling that Japanese-built vehicles are more reliable but its only my opinion of course.
Our 2010 RX350 is made in Japan, all VIN's beginning with 'J' come from Japan. Some particular options are only made in Japan, like the Heads Up display option. I have heard anecdotealy (sp) that the RX's from Japan have tighter tolerances on the door seams and the sound of the doors closing is different. Never did any comparisons but that is what I have heard. Given a choice between a Japanese vehicle made in Japan, Canada or the US I'll take the one from the Orient, I just think the screwing together of the parts is better. I'm not sure about the mechanical reliability standpoint, but I think the integrity of the whole is better. Just my opinion.
Old 01-05-11, 07:15 PM
LexFather

Great write up! The RX interior has always been a trend setter but this version really is amazing and one of a kind. It seems to have influenced the new 6 series interior.

Its art!!!
Old 01-06-11, 01:28 AM
stw2046
Driver

GUYS! TELL ME ABOUT IT.... I CAME FROM BMW, THEN AUDI, THEN LEXUS, THEN LEXUS AGAIN! AND VERY POSSIBLY MORE L's IN THE FUTURE.

Quick Reply: RX Interior is beautiful