RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

OEM Nav versus 3rd Party

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 08:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I have a '10 ES and am thinking the Nav is the same as in the '10-'11 RX.

For the most part I really like the system, but when you arrive at your Destination it just says "your destination is ahead". My Garmin says "your destination is ahead, on the left/right". This comes in handy in an unfamiliar or busy area where you might have to turn in or grab a place to park.
Old 12-29-10, 09:21 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have a '10 ES and am thinking the Nav is the same as in the '10-'11 RX.

For the most part I really like the system, but when you arrive at your Destination it just says "your destination is ahead". My Garmin says "your destination is ahead, on the left/right". This comes in handy in an unfamiliar or busy area where you might have to turn in or grab a place to park.
Eh, both my Lexus' state whether the destination is on the left or right. Listen again.
Old 12-29-10, 09:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Eh, both my Lexus' state whether the destination is on the left or right. Listen again.
What's wierd is it only gives right or left when I arrive "Home" but not at other entered destinations. Had the car nearly a year and am always listening to see if it says r or l. Wonder it it's a setting? Didn't see anything in the OM.
Old 12-29-10, 10:20 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
What's wierd is it only gives right or left when I arrive "Home" but not at other entered destinations.
How are you putting the "entered destinations" into the nav system? By street address (house number, street name, etc.), or by some other way ("Quizno's")?

The nav system can tell you which side of the street, if you have given it the house number (even or odd). If you entered a POI point of interest, it may only have the coordinates, but not which side of the street it's on.
Old 12-30-10, 05:54 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I went to the BMW page just out of curiosity and here is a quote from that page about their navigation system:
"Be aware that the location of your selected destination may slightly differ between the BMW Navigation system and the location as shown on Google Maps, which might require your attention once the navigation system tells you that you have arrived or are approaching your destination."
Old 12-31-10, 05:44 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

We had a loaner 10RX350 with Nav so played with it. The voice commands worked fine for me, but not for wife. Her voice is just at that frequency where people can't hear her with background noise. My x-military voice style seems to suite the Lexus. Perhaps if you yell at it like you were in a firefight, it might respond better.
Old 12-31-10, 05:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BCRCornet
How are you putting the "entered destinations" into the nav system? By street address (house number, street name, etc.), or by some other way ("Quizno's")?

The nav system can tell you which side of the street, if you have given it the house number (even or odd). If you entered a POI point of interest, it may only have the coordinates, but not which side of the street it's on.
Might be the problem. I'll have to check it out by entering just an address and no name.

I enter most of my Destinations by going online and downloading POI's using eDestination. They always come up as a name, but are linked to a specific address. Yesterday I entered a car dealership using eDestination and no R or L when I arrived at the place. I also called Destination Assist and they downloaded another dealership to my nav and no R or L upon arriving at that one.