RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Old 07-19-17, 01:20 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
I expect that there are no extended rails available at all. You can perhaps, though, re-drill the mounting holes in the existing rails and shift the back accordingly. That said, I'm not sure how close the mounting holes are to the front edge, so it might not be possible to get another inch unless someone welds on an extension plate for the front hole positions.
thanks
I will try to take a look at drilling some new holes
Old 07-19-17, 01:32 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

You know, even if there is not enough room on the front rail for an inch of movement on the hole position, you can always get a piece of steel flat bar from Home Depot and cut yourself some extensions and use a thin headed bolt to connect it from underneath to the existing rail mount. Black epoxy appliance paint would finish it off nicely enough to not look like a "shade tree" hack job.
Old 07-21-17, 01:35 PM
Denzo
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have perfected (my opinion) the seat position in my RX450h F-Sport (without! Fan-Cooling, only heat funktion Seats), i am very happy with this "mod" i have done (Did it also on my LS600h, 2007).
Under the two front seat fastening screws I have put some washers/shim. now the seat position has lift in the front (more space for long legs and veeery much relaxing now to drive, also after 10 hour´s!).

PS: For me the ls600 seat are a lot more uncomfortable. Too many settings. Never comfortable.
Old 07-21-17, 02:48 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Just a word of caution. Seat anchoring system is part of safety. Please make sure you are not compromising the safety.

Salim
Old 07-24-17, 09:20 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Just a word of caution. Seat anchoring system is part of safety. Please make sure you are not compromising the safety.

Salim

Excellent point, Salim!
Old 07-28-17, 02:41 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm trying to see if I can replace my seat cushion with another cushion without the fan/blower. However, my search for the part didn't produce an exact answer. First, I can't search for a seat without the fan. Second, the fan isn't even listed as a separate option. Lastly, was there heated seats available without the seat fan?

I'd appreciate any help. so far I can only locate some parts but it does not say whether these have the fan inserted inside already or these are just seat cushions with just heating element included....

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...ljLWdhcw%3D%3D
Old 07-28-17, 03:06 PM
SoonerRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I thought the width was narrower than my 2004, but it's the same. Obviously, a 2004 seat will be smushed down by weight over the years. However, the back seat cushions seem more bouncy than the driver seat. I just bought a 2010 and could not believe that the side bolsters have not deteriorated at all. I am having additional foam installed. My wife has a Toyota Highlander with a "flat" seat and although I wasn't crazy about that at first, it seems pretty good right now, compared to the 2010 RX!
Old 08-02-17, 07:01 AM
aataulla
Driver School Candidate

Default Any swaps done?

Don't want to beat a dead horse but was anyone able to a successful swap between a LS/GS and an RX?

Any leads on where to get body/wiring diagrams to check if this is possible will be appreciated.
Old 10-25-17, 11:53 AM
EB5
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2015 RX450H with the Comfort package ( heated and cooled seats, no thigh extension). I get bad upper back and neck pain form the front seats. I've never experienced this in any car that I've owned . For me, it is not just the headrest, as I have tried turning them around and still get the neck and back pain. I have tried a yoga back, and several other backrests purchased from Amazon, as well as a wedge seat rest. Nothing seems to help. My next step is calling an auto upholstery place my dealer recomen, but not sure what they can do other than add new foam. I imagine that will cost a decent amount of money, will void the warranty on the seats, and will not be guarantee. Has anyone who has had this problem found a solution other than replacing the vehicle?

I am 5"10, 165 lbs. I have tried every setting combination possible on the seat and steering wheel combination. I did not notice any discomfort on the test drives, and the first few weeks I owned the vehicle. It wasn't until a 6+ hour drive that I noticed the problem, and since can drive more than a few miles with out the issues returning. I'm feeling I made an expensive mistake. The funny thing is we traded our 2011 Rav4 in because of the uncomfortable seats on long trips; but that was just a sore rear, nothing like the back and neck pain. Ugh.

Last edited by EB5; 10-25-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 02:58 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Fun how a seat can be good for one person and not the next
my wife drove from Thunder Bay to Cobourg , about 1000 mile in just over 16 hours and was fine

I did not the Rav 4 seats at all
Old 02-06-18, 10:54 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Some months ago my right hip felt like it was bursting into flames whenever I sat in the car for more than 1 hour (a usual occurrence in Los Angeles commute). It was worse than the typical coccyx pain I was experiencing. Also I had not equated this issue with my car seat at that time since the my issue was with the coccyx pain than any other area. Thinking that I was on my exercise bike too long in my futile attempt to reduce my BMI down below 25, I visited my chiropractor only to find out that I had hip bursitis. Advil, tumeric and other anti-inflammatory pills followed by regiment along with easy swimming to some relief but not complete relief.

Here is where things got interesting. Due to a number of warranty repair issues on my Mercedes E-250 (it ain't no Lexus), I had to give up driving the RX for about a month being in and out of Benz dealers. In that time, my hip bursitis mysteriously went away. So, that was the final clarification that something was indeed wrong with my seat bottom or the cushions in them.

This morning I got the final diagnosis from a reliable auto upholstery place.
1) They work on RX seats all the time. Typically, they do this after the warranty period and the inside cushion has "weakened" considerably.
2) The seat fan housing eats up the space where additional cushions need to go. They say don't buy cars with fans underneath the seats.
3) My car is worse than average because, well, the previous owner flattened out the cushion by a huge margin. Perhaps his BMI was above 30, we wondered......

things I'm doing today:
1) ripping out the whole seat fan mechanism. It didn't work that well anyway.
2) taking out the whole foam thing inside and replacing with high quality multi-layer stuff

In a few days, I'll post pics. So far the downside is that it'll take 2 full days to do it.
Old 02-06-18, 11:15 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Our "new" 2015 has Premium, Comfort & Luxury packages. Seats are heated, cooled and have the thigh extender (only moves like 1/4"-3/8", sort of a rip). We feel the seats are much more comfortable than the seats in the 2015 Highlander Limited Platinum we recently sold.

That said, everyone's rear end is different, and what's totally comfortable to one person may be absolute torture for another.

I've done the extender thing on older cars, and can say that while it works, it may compromise your safety. Use thick steel and grade 8 bolts if you decide to do this.
Old 02-06-18, 12:02 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickC5

I've done the extender thing on older cars, and can say that while it works, it may compromise your safety. Use thick steel and grade 8 bolts if you decide to do this.
I'm not changing the seat or any of the internal structure. I'm just swapping out the seat bottom cushion inside the leather cover.
Old 02-18-18, 09:22 AM
geewyzz
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 Seats Most Uncomfortable Ever

I recently bought a 2014 RX350. The seats are the most uncomfortable of any vehicle I have ever owned. Did anyone find a solution to the hard, uncomfortable seats? I assume adding any type of cover would interfere with the cooling seats option.
Old 02-18-18, 10:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by geewyzz
I recently bought a 2014 RX350. The seats are the most uncomfortable of any vehicle I have ever owned. Did anyone find a solution to the hard, uncomfortable seats? I assume adding any type of cover would interfere with the cooling seats option.
You didn't notice the issue during test drive etc?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)