RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Old 09-24-16, 09:10 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

this is a great idea to get a cushion from foam order.com
I just looked at their website. It is amazing that they can customize a cushion as you want it. Did you get a cover on it in matching color?

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I bought my CPO car only about a month ago and noticed that there is some kind of mechanism underneath the area (or perhaps about 2 inches to the right of) of Coccyx. You can press down with your hand but you'll have to press hard to get all your weight on it. In short, the seats are not well padded and lacks supporting materials. Cost cutting, perhaps? I asked my doc about it during a regular check up and she says I don't have enough fat in my behind. Stated otherwise, people with apple shaped bodies won't notice the pain. However, more muscular and thinner people may notice it like me.

I took 2 steps: 1) bought a sheepskin cover and trying it out but the pain is still there 2) bought a foam cushion made out of latex in the exact shape of the seat (not including side bolsters) from www.foamorder.com. that seems to help. If all else fails, there are a couple of good seat upholstery places in my area that will fix it for me. However, based on my conversation with them, they may need to take out the offending mechanism - seat cooling fans - and redo the entire bottom with a new cushion.

---------------

clarifying my comment about "cushion." I don't mean soft or hard cushion. the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in was an after market Recaro sport seats installed inside of a small RX-7 eons ago. that thing had no give whatsoever and felt like concrete. Yet, it was so comfortable for hours and hours of driving. Second most comfy seats were Mercedes E and S class seats from the 90's and Volvo S80 seats from the early 2000's. The worst seats were Toyota Corrolla's always. And many Hyundai models including the expensive Equus models.
Old 09-25-16, 06:29 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

There's always that contrary comment in a thread and there have been a few here already. We just made our second 300+ mile trip and both my wife and I kept commenting on how comfortable the RX is seats and all. Even more so than our 2GS and 1GX. We have the standard seats without additional controls. We're both grateful as we both have different back issues. I suppose there just won't be a perfect seat, though the BMW comfort seat has to be a top runner, albeit a seriously expensive upgrade. If a replacement cushion takes car of the discomfort, that's a home run.
Old 09-25-16, 07:37 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sandi, I agree with everyone. The seats are better. I thought they were 'thinner' too but after making a few adjustments, they were fine.
Tried Audi or MB then?
Old 09-25-16, 11:23 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
this is a great idea to get a cushion from foam order.com
I just looked at their website. It is amazing that they can customize a cushion as you want it. Did you get a cover on it in matching color?
well I got the raw latex foam and it is natural ivory color which doesn't look very good. I also think I got the firmness that is too firm. I'll go for medium next time. So far it's ok but I can't think of this as a permanent solution. I'll give it another week or two and report back.
Old 09-25-16, 11:33 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Check out this thread from 09 LX. They specifically found the offending mechanism which, as suspected, was the circuit board housing hitting you in the wrong part of your derrière. In their cases Dealer simply moved the mechanism away from the offending spot.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-3rd-gen-2008-present/374786-uncomfortable-left-seat.html
Old 09-26-16, 07:25 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, I confirmed that the seats work fine for me on a 3.5 hour drive. In fact, the ride is still so much better than when I ride by F250 through the same route, I can actually stay in the right hand lane and not feel all jiggly-jostly and semi-beaten up once I arrive at my desitnation. I'm pleased.

I hope your situation can get resolved for you, MellonC00
Old 09-28-16, 09:42 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by F250
Well, I confirmed that the seats work fine for me on a 3.5 hour drive. In fact, the ride is still so much better than when I ride by F250 through the same route, I can actually stay in the right hand lane and not feel all jiggly-jostly and semi-beaten up once I arrive at my desitnation. I'm pleased.

I hope your situation can get resolved for you, MellonC00
Do you have the cooling/heating seats in your car?
Old 09-28-16, 10:16 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Yes, I do have the heated/ventilated seats. I will admit that the seat bottom cushion feels thinner and less cushier than I prefer, but at least for my body weight and the lack of shape, size, and natural padding in my posterior, I survived the 3-1/2 hr drives exceptionally well. I did not feel beaten up or sore or have an aching back at the end of either trip. I did, though, have to remove my wallet from my back pocket, but that's pretty normal anyway.
Old 11-04-16, 12:03 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

I had the dealer take a look at the front seat yesterday and received a pretty prompt "No. There is nothing wrong with it." answer. Initially, the greeter or the people who keep on shaking your hand when you come in, told me that he feels nothing when he sits down on it. When the tech came I pointed out the offending mechanism that was protruding up my butt to which he responded, "Oh, yes, I've seen a lot of complaints on this," upon hearing this, the slimy greeter, who previously said he feels nothing, said, "yes, but that's the same as all other RX seats." So, I said, why didn't you tell me you've been getting complaints? Then, he says, "I didn't know you referring to that exact area of the seat." He then says, "you may take it to the upholstery shop to add more cushion but it will void the warranty." I said, "we will see about what Lexus in Torrance says (headquarters)."

Conclusion: They know the seats were designed poorly. they know it's the fan mechanism giving uneven level and plushness on the bottom seat cushion that sinks the left cheek down farther into the floor while the right cheek is sitting slightly higher off the floor all the while the protruding mechanism is hitting your coccyx like a Southwest Isle 18D seat worn out from years of use.
Old 11-11-16, 08:39 AM
Red63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfortable but:

I stand 6'3" and my right knee rubs on the center console. It is mildly uncomfortable for me but not a major issue on what is a terrific vehicle.
Old 12-18-16, 03:24 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We have been very pleased with the comfort of the seats in our 2010 RX350. It has been one of the few vehicles we have purchased that I could get in it, adjust the seat once and be comfortable. We have done 2400+ mile vacation trips in the past two years and loved the ride. Could do 6-700 miles a day and feel very fresh at the end of the day. With the seat memory settings it makes it very nice for the wife and I to get in and go with our settings. We have felt the Lexus was everything that was advertised for comfort and ride.
Old 12-29-16, 04:10 AM
oship74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers seat ,tall drivers

I am tall 6 ft.2 find the drivers seat bottom cushion don"t go up or back for enough for a comfortable driving on long trips after about two ours I have to pull over and stretch my legs.is there anyway this can be modified.
Old 07-18-17, 10:33 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I took 2 steps: 1) bought a sheepskin cover and trying it out but the pain is still there 2) bought a foam cushion made out of latex in the exact shape of the seat (not including side bolsters) from www.foamorder.com. that seems to help. If all else fails, there are a couple of good seat upholstery places in my area that will fix it for me. However, based on my conversation with them, they may need to take out the offending mechanism - seat cooling fans - and redo the entire bottom with a new cushion.
My foam cushion is not working out. It's too hot and moves around too much. definitely not a permanent solution.
I tried going to other dealers to fix this issue but they say that is how the seat comes and did not offer up a solution. I will just to wait for the warranty period to be over and take out the seat fan mechanism and see if that makes a difference.
If that doesn't work, I found out that it's not impossible to simply replace the bottom cushion of the seat by giving it to an upholstery shop.
Old 07-18-17, 03:50 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone know if you can get seat rail extendards
I think if I can get seat to go back about an inch it would be great
Old 07-19-17, 11:20 AM
F250
Lead Lap

I expect that there are no extended rails available at all. You can perhaps, though, re-drill the mounting holes in the existing rails and shift the back accordingly. That said, I'm not sure how close the mounting holes are to the front edge, so it might not be possible to get another inch unless someone welds on an extension plate for the front hole positions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)