RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 11:54 AM
kutsal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's 15 RX driver seat is hurting my back as well. I have tried several seat settings and settled on one that hurts less. I drive daily BMW 328 and have no problem at all. It is the most comfortable seats I ever got, the seats are perfect.

However, recently I have discovered something that gave me a pause. I always carry my wallet in my back pocket. If I drive the RX my wallet in back pocket, I get discomfort and then pain in 15-20 minutes. I have been driving now no wallet in back pocket. It is not conclusive yet but I feel less or no discomfort. Perhaps, I need to drive few hours non-stop to get a clear idea. Something to consider I guess.
Old 02-02-16, 11:42 PM
mg350
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 front seat causes back pain

I have a 2010 RX350, I've tried to adjust it every way imaginable but regardless, after driving 20 minutes my right side of by back/leg begins to hurt.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a solution?
Thanks
Old 02-03-16, 05:32 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mg350
I have a 2010 RX350, I've tried to adjust it every way imaginable but regardless, after driving 20 minutes my right side of by back/leg begins to hurt. Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a solution? Thanks
What I've noticed is the dummy pedal is kinda high, so I had to move my position back a bit and pull the wheel closer. That seemed to take care of the discomfort for me.
Old 02-03-16, 06:18 AM
Doodah
10th Gear

I've noticed the same back pain with my 2013 RX450h. No matter what I do with the power seats, the discomfort is there after driving only a few miles. It's not due to the peculiarities of my specific seat because my wife has an identical RX and I experience the same pain with it. Granted, I do have a known herniated disc in my back, but my son-in-law has no back problems and the seat causes him the same discomfort too.

The back pain got so prevalent with the RX that I eventually purchased a 2015 Tacoma pickup as a second vehicle and I can drive it for hundreds of miles and experience no pain at all. After driving the Tacoma, then climbing into the RX, the RX seats feel like I'm sitting on a park bench, and I think that's the root of the problem.

Sadly, the now low-mileage RX mostly sits in the garage unused.
Old 02-03-16, 09:03 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

mg350, I'm sorry you're having a problem with seat comfort. Do you have any known back problems? As someone who has my share, seat comfort is extremely important to me too. Sometimes I get the pain you describe from the lower back down the right leg to my knee. Touching the seat ever so slightly is extremely uncomfortable. It makes pushing the pedals challenging. The lower part of my seat is sloped to the point of almost sliding off of it. After a visit to the chiro for an adjustment and sometimes the torture stick as I like to call it, the pain is mostly gone. BTW, I didn't believe in them years ago. But I'm more into holistic approaches (read no drugs). Works great for me.

Nate, thank your wife for me. Chiros are Godsends
Old 02-03-16, 09:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

We have always found our RX to be incredibly comfortable, even on long drives. However, I think this just goes to show you that it is very difficult, perhaps even impossible, to design a seat that is comfortable for everyone.
Old 02-03-16, 11:04 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you by any chance keep you wallet in your back left pocket? I had this issue for a while too where when I would drive long distance I would get uncomfortable on my left side and back. I tried taking out my wallet and adjusting the middle back support to me more aggressive and now I don't have issues.
Old 02-03-16, 08:46 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

This isn't the first time I have heard this kind of remark from someone that finds the seats uncomfortable. We have found them to be very comfortable, but our longest trip with our 2013 RX has only been about three hours so we may not be the best judge(s) regarding long drives. I too have disk problems but I have never had any problem with my RX seats.

Anyway, clearly different body types and shapes need different support so not every seat will satisfy every backside. Do you own it or are you leasing? I would sure trade or sell it rather than let it sit and depreciate in your garage.
Old 02-04-16, 05:50 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The biggest difference between my previous 2004 RX and the 2011 is the shape of the headrest with the 2011 pushing my head forward, too much to my liking. And I think the headrest shape affected how i adjust the seat to try and find a good combination of the headrest with the rest of the seat.

I found the 2004 to be easy to adjust and comfortable even on day long drives. As for the 2011, it took me almost a year to dial it in and, lately, I find myself fidgeting with the seat adjustments again. So, yes, I could say that the seat is not comfortable.
Old 08-22-16, 07:44 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I too find that the driver's seat hurts my tail bone. I thinking there isn't much we can do about this issue. I'll try a sheepskin cover.
Old 08-24-16, 05:18 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I find the 2015 seats to be comfortable. Much better than the 2015 Highlander.
Old 09-13-16, 09:28 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Doug - how do you find your seat comfort as far ask back pain in your RX, compared to NX compared to ES300h, or are they all equally as comfortable?

Originally Posted by Ward6096
This isn't the first time I have heard this kind of remark from someone that finds the seats uncomfortable. We have found them to be very comfortable, but our longest trip with our 2013 RX has only been about three hours so we may not be the best judge(s) regarding long drives. I too have disk problems but I have never had any problem with my RX seats.

Anyway, clearly different body types and shapes need different support so not every seat will satisfy every backside. Do you own it or are you leasing? I would sure trade or sell it rather than let it sit and depreciate in your garage.
Old 09-13-16, 10:21 PM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove 4k miles this summer on a trip. i would not say they are comfortable but do get irritating as they are small and narrow even compared to new rx. 5hours into the drive adpnd yes you do start feeling uncomfortable. I did 8h sprints, i did 20h straight with my celica and it was wonderful.

Also to add, the rx isnt really a long range vehicle, would not put it in that category.
Old 09-14-16, 05:08 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I guess I must of missed this thread back in Feb. Anyway, I have no issues with the seats at all. Last summer took an 9 hour drive, made 3 stops along the way and while I felt the usual drivers fatigue, I never felt that the seats caused pain.

Three summers back I made that same trip when we had our ML350 and I really couldn't say if I felt more comfortable in one over the other, I would say I felt the same. Back in August took the RX on a 4.5 hour drive this time only made one stop, and again felt comfortable..

In my experience on long drives in the RX, I feel no better or worse than I did when I used to take our previous MDX's, ML's or previous Lexus cars on long drives.

Last edited by JT4; 09-14-16 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 06:35 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

which year RX are you describing?

just from test driving, I would say I liked the last generation RX comfort much more than the new 2016 RX. The last generation was totally Lexus plush. The new generation seats seem to have firmed up and trying to look sportier. Although the 2106 I test drove was a complete base car, so perhaps the higher trim seats are indeed much better?

Originally Posted by niklow
Drove 4k miles this summer on a trip. i would not say they are comfortable but do get irritating as they are small and narrow even compared to new rx. 5hours into the drive adpnd yes you do start feeling uncomfortable. I did 8h sprints, i did 20h straight with my celica and it was wonderful.

Also to add, the rx isnt really a long range vehicle, would not put it in that category.

Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)