RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I get dizzy/vertigo When I Drive our New Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09, 10:54 AM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I get dizzy/vertigo When I Drive our New Car

The first time I drove our car I actually had to pull over. I did not know what was wrong with me! It happened again yesterday when I drove the car again. It only happens when I am in the car. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I am wondering if it is fumes coming off the leather or ???
Old 09-26-09, 01:40 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nicpalumbo
The first time I drove our car I actually had to pull over. I did not know what was wrong with me! It happened again yesterday when I drove the car again. It only happens when I am in the car. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I am wondering if it is fumes coming off the leather or ???
did you smell strong plastic? toxic like fume from the plastic caused watery eye and headache the first few weeks we had the car so we drove with window open with AC on. I had the car "bake" in the sun for about two weeks and now only thing left is the "good" new car smell.
Old 09-26-09, 02:21 PM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

I do feel better with the windows open. I have a two year old daughter and am concerned about her being in the car.

It is the oddest sensation...kind of trippy! It can't possibly be good for you!

Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-26-09, 03:10 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

take some motion sickness over the counter medicine in the mean time and if it really does help, drive with the window open as much as possible, or even the sunroof.
Old 09-26-09, 03:54 PM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, will do.

Not sure that I even mentioned this, but we have the 2010 RX350
Old 09-26-09, 04:58 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nicpalumbo

Welcome. I have two questions. First, did you previously own an SUV or another car with higher center of gravity? Second, do you feel notious when the car bounces, or the entire time?

In first case, its just a matter of getting used to the ride. In second - check the tires pressure. Overinflated tires add extra bounce. When I got into my first SUV back in 2001 (Acura MDX), it took a good few months to get used to the bounce, and for dizziness - to go away.

Do not take drugs, unless its really bad. Just drink some water.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-09, 05:52 PM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

Hi:

This is my first SUV and the bouncing does not bother me. Hoping it is just a matter of getting used to the ride? Is was not quite as severe the last time I drove the car so maybe that is the case. It feels similar to sitting on a bus and having another parallel to you. When the second bus starts moving, it feels like you are too.

Thanks for your response!

Nicole
Old 09-26-09, 07:23 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the same as data2009 said above. Also, if you spend lots of time driving it in NYC areas, the poorly maintained roads may make you feel even worse.

Also, did your passengers feel that the car dizzied them?
Old 09-26-09, 07:26 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I'd say that if your passengers aren't feeling any ill effects then you really need to be consulting a physician.
Old 09-26-09, 11:58 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

or try sitting in the car without turning it out. If you still get dizzy, then you know its the fumes
Old 09-27-09, 04:59 AM
wraithmojo
Driver School Candidate

Just to clarify, by dizzy or vertigo do you mean you feel as though the car or external environment is spinning around your axis (body)? Or is there simply a light-headed sensation that makes concentration or vision difficult? These are two very different things with different etiologies. Do you have a history of allergies or chemical sensitivity of any type? Did you experience any nausea, headache or visual disturbance... if so how long did it last after stopping and/or exiting the vehicle?

I would try sitting in the vehicle as RXSF suggests, without even turning it on and see if the problem persists. Then try turning it on but not yet moving and wait to see if it's related. Lastly, check to see if it's the motion of the vehicle (by driving it of course).

Such new vehicles off-gass quite a few compounds when new that 'can' play havoc with the CNS of sensitive individuals. This is the most likely explanation but I would test the theory with the above method(s).
Old 09-27-09, 07:31 AM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

It is more like the car or external environment is spinning around me. Actually less spinning, more like rushing around me. I do not get nauseous, just a little shaky & my vision is off. I can see fine, but my eyes feel very strange. It takes about 20 minutes after leaving the car for me to feel normal again. I should also mention that my husband has not experienced any of this. I do not have any history of allergies or chemical sensitivity, although I do what I can to avoid strong chemical smells in general.
Old 09-27-09, 08:01 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

nic

Any history of motion sickness? Since no one else gets any symptoms with you, might be hyper sensitive to the new car materials as others have suggested, or it can be one of several components that comprise the balance system. Have you driven a nonSUV car during this same time frame and had the same issue? If it's just in the 2010RX, then could be a combo of fumes and your adjustment to the new ride height. They do have vestibular/balance rehab experts that can get you better if you have a history of motion sensitivity, or your balance system is otherwise not functioning 100%. Basically a form of physical therapy to recondition the balance system (like going to a regular physical therapist after a knee injury/surgery). Good luck.
Old 09-27-09, 10:38 AM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

I do not have a history of motion sickness and have driven a nonSUV during the same time frame without any problems. The car is brand new, plus I do not drive it that often (we live in NYC). I am hoping that after a few more trips the symptoms will dissipate.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Old 09-27-09, 05:36 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

There might be no correlation at all between your new car and these symptoms... your best bet is to be consulting a physician instead of asking people on the Internet for advice.

Quick Reply: I get dizzy/vertigo When I Drive our New Car