RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I get dizzy/vertigo When I Drive our New Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 12:48 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you may want to consider - I had similar experience with our 05 RX and it was due to an optically distorted (in our case replacement) windshield. Amazing what a little glass distortion can do. Worth checking, try being at a full stop, have a wall of some sort in front of you say about one car length - preferably with horizontal lines on it, try moving your head slowly up and down - changing focal point on the glass, i.e. look through windshield from upper to lower sections and see if the lines distort, or if you get vertigo. Good luck!
Old 09-29-09, 06:26 AM
wraithmojo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicole... when you replied you didn't mention whether or not the symptoms begin while simply sitting in the vehicle at rest, or if the vehicle had to be in motion prior to onset. A deformation in the glass could cause headache and some degree of visual disturbance but I can't imagine it causing the spinning sensation you describe. Also, a vestibular or cochlear problem would have been detected prior with any strenuous physical activity that increases demand upon the inner ear. Simply going from a lying to standing position quickly will cause such symptoms with vestibular etiology and since you don't report any history of prior balance issues I doubt this is also the case. The most likely suspect still remains the new car off-gassing untold chemicals that you are reacting to. This is actually a common symptom reported by patients of mine (yes, some of us are actually physicians on this board) with new cars, houses, and re-modeling. You can't rule out chemical sensitivity simply because your husband doesn't have similar symptoms. Our physiology is far too complex and varied between individuals to expect the same response from everyone given the same set of stimuli. Because you suggest the issue is improving it lends further evidence to the off-gassing vehicle theory and thus I advise you not to drive (of course being a passenger is acceptable) until the car has completely off-gassed and you no longer experience symptoms while sitting/riding in your RX. Not to worry though, such issues resolve rather quickly and you'll be able to fully enjoy your car soon.
Old 09-29-09, 08:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Is this your 1st car with leather seats?
Old 09-29-09, 08:15 PM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

G Man...Yes, 1st car with leather seats.

wraithmojo...We are taking it out this weekend. I will have my husband drive it and see what happens. So far, the symptoms only occur when the vehicle is in motion and only after about 20 minutes into the trip. I have not experienced anything out of the ordinary when the vehicle is at rest.

Orzel...Did you end up replacing the glass, or did you get used to it?
Old 09-30-09, 06:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Condition the leather seats with a conditioner that has a nice scent, the new leather smell give some people headaches.
Old 09-30-09, 09:51 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Vertigo is something people can randomly develop. Might not be due to the car at all. Go see a doctor.
Old 09-30-09, 12:13 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nicpalumbo
G Man...Yes, 1st car with leather seats.

Orzel...Did you end up replacing the glass, or did you get used to it?
Sorry for the delay in responding, at times work gets in the way of enjoying the forums!

I did replace the glass (again). I'm not one that's prone to motion sickness, I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes (when I was younger and dumber), have bungee jumped (being somewhat older and stupid!), been out fishing in conditions that left most of the group on board "chumming' and I have to admit that the optical distortion was so bad, that I was physically ill, and suffering from vertigo. I drove away from the glass shop and hadn't gotten more than about 5 miles, before turning around and taking the car back. We left the RX at the glass installers until they could get another windshield, it wasn't safe to try to drive that way. So yes, optical distortion can lead to vertigo, as I'm sure our learned physician is far better qualified to explain than I am. I can only pass along what happened, but I'd say take the advice of our on board doctor, I've found that they know of what they speak!!
Old 09-30-09, 12:29 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I honestly can't believe she hasn't seen a doctor yet.
Old 10-01-09, 06:07 AM
iewiew
Driver

Does the vertigo come on when you write your payment check????
Old 10-01-09, 06:58 AM
wraithmojo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iewiew
LOL

Nicole, I'm still not able to distinguish between symptom onset while the vehicle is at rest versus being in motion. This will of course rule in/out the possibilities of chemical sensitivity and/or a motion related inner ear disturbance. You need to sit in the vehicle at rest for at least 20 minutes to determine whether or not you can reproduce your symptoms. Simply getting in the vehicle and immediately driving (or riding in your case) off doesn't help to differentiate the underlying etiology.
Old 10-01-09, 12:23 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iewiew
More like excruciating pain – only wrote one check though, I like to take my trauma’s in one massive dose! Had to salve the agony later with a good (vodka) martini, shaken, not stirred! Took two of them to take the edge of the ordeal off!
Old 10-01-09, 06:04 PM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

iewiew...LOL! husband writes the checks, I feel great

The G Man...Thanks, I will try that.

wraithmojo...May I have a Starbucks while I sit in my car for 20 minutes . Seriously though, I will conduct my experiments this weekend.

wraithmojo...Can't tell if you think I am simply an idiot or if you are truly concerned about my well being. But since I am a glass half full person...seeing the doctor tomorrow. Please keep in mind that I only feel this way in the car and that I only drive the car once a weekish.
Old 10-02-09, 09:01 AM
HKSC430
Rookie

Default Vertigo when driving Lexus or Toyota

I believe it's the car causing the vertigo, if it doesn't happen elsewhere.

I remember someone posting on Toyotanation about the wife, having vertigo attacks only after driving in a Prius.

I just drove home in my old folk's 2003 Camry, and my head is still spinning when not in motion as I am typing away, which I don't get after driving my older Lexus.

Several plausible reasons might be:

1) incorrect tyre pressure(s) (and/or wheel alignment),

2) the windshield distortion problem,

3) the building up of Carbon Dioxide and not enough Oxygen with the air being wrongly designed to completely recirculate in the recirculation mode,

4) the obnoxious plastic smell that is difficult to get rid of; is it because the interior parts have been outsourced and/or are made of inferior quality materials?, and

5) the slightly less than perfect ride design, which is not quite firm enough, not yet in balance enough, and just not as perfect as any BMW's ride.

Your car may be unknowingly bobbing up and down, even when going down smooth pavement or roads, especially with the softly sprung and softly damped rear, causing your vertigo.

Otherwise, the Lexus is perfect 'if' you don't notice the new car's paint getting ever softer than your old car, the gas pedal getting less responsive and less intuitive than before, the transmission getting more disobedient and inappropriate, the hybrids getting you stuck when the battery discharges, the difficult-to-get-rid of wind problem whistling by your ears in the new LSs, and the ride causing vertigo in some people.

When can Lexus deliver new cars without these problems? It's a pain to DIY or go after market to fix these.
Old 10-02-09, 09:10 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

Formaldehyde(sp?) is used in the manufacturing of carpet and clothing etc (not sure about leather). Some people are sensitive to it. It will dissapate quicker with the windows open. The RX does have more carpet exposed to the interior than sedans. This problem was previously seen in the manufactured housing industry with new homes. I hope you'll be enjoying your new RX without symptoms, shortly.
Old 10-02-09, 11:06 AM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I truly believe it is the car...hoping it is the new car smell(s) and me simply having to get used to the ride.

Thanks for all the input. I will be conducting the suggested experiments this weekend

Quick Reply: I get dizzy/vertigo When I Drive our New Car